Mini ball head wanted for 5D3 + gorillapod

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm off on vaca before too long, and as this is less of a 'once in a lifetime' trip and more of a beach-y week away, I'm forgoing my normal Gitzo Traveler + Arca Z1 + RRS plate in favor of just using my old gorillapod on a tree branch.

I've always fought through using it without a ballhead, and it's insane for framing as a result. So I thought I'd put a cheapo ball head on top. Someone on this forum must have one they love, so I thought I'd ask.

Here are my overthought specs:

• Must be TINY. If it is bigger than a fist, you have failed me.
  • No quick mounting plates wanted, even if included with the ball head. I want a tiny integral design without removable pieces that threads right into my SLR. Simple.
  • 1/4-20" thread
  • Keyway cutout to go vertical with the camera would be nice, but its not a must.
  • Payload = 5D3 + 24-70 f/4L IS or 16-35 f/4L IS. No more than that.
  • I don't really need fancy panning functionality or a slick trigger grip. Again: simple.
  • Cheap is fine provided it won't disintegrate in a little rain and will securely hold the camera.
  • Max spend = $30. Ok, $40 if it's game-change-ingly perfect.

I'll sprinkle in a few conversation starter sort of pictures to give you the idea.

Whaddya got, people?

- A

Attachments

• 41owWqUzl9L.jpg
    41owWqUzl9L.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 71OrGqb3LlL._SL1500_.jpg
    71OrGqb3LlL._SL1500_.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 182
  • 41uMKnqvRhL.jpg
    41uMKnqvRhL.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 237

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I got the Joby ballhead that came with the SLR Zoom, does fine even with the 1D X and a standard zoom.

$20 at Amazon. First one on my list until I thought about the annoying plastic quick release plate. I could overlook that if it's not a nuisance: what has your experience been just leaving the the QR plate locked in the mount and just directly threading it on to your camera? Annoying or easy?

Thx

- A

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

I have the Triopo RS3 and recommend it highly. It is a little on the large side for your initial use but still pretty small and light. Once you come home you can put a QR clamp on it and get rid of your existing ball head/heads. This little head handles any current production Canon lens (my 800 F5.6 L IS does not really test it) if your tripod is up to it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triopo-RS-3-Ball-Head-Load-20kg-Weight-only-250gram-/161851649011?hash=item25af1c2bf3:g:lE8AAOSwKsRWFjCZ

This is where I had mine from 5 or 6 years ago.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:
I got the Joby ballhead that came with the SLR Zoom, does fine even with the 1D X and a standard zoom.

$20 at Amazon. First one on my list until I thought about the annoying plastic quick release plate. I could overlook that if it's not a nuisance: what has your experience been just leaving the the QR plate locked in the mount and just directly threading it on to your camera? Annoying or easy?

Not too annoying for the frequency I use it. Keep a coin handy. ;)

They sell a little cold shoe that slides into that 'quick release' slot, currently my gorillapod sees more use as a flash support.

Upvote 0