Mirror sticking and USB problem on my 7D...

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I bought my 7D new back in Sept of 2011 and I have gone through about 60K clicks, give or take a thousand. Lately, the mirror will seem to "stick" after taking a shot. The photo comes out fine but you can hear a delay in the mirror returning. It doesn't happen all the time but enough and it happens more frequently now.

I had been meaning to send it in to be cleaned/replaced but a couple of weeks ago my USB port went out on the camera too. I have tried different cords and computers and nothing. I have tested my computers and cords with some of my other cameras and they work fine. It started out with an error saying "USB device not recognized or has malfunctioned" and now when I plug it in I don't even get that, it's like the camera is off.

Granted I don't use my USB port on my camera much anyway because I have a card reader, it just bothers me that it stopped working and may be a sign of something else going wrong.

I love my 7D and really don't want to replace it (or upgrade to the 7D2) for $$$ reasons first off. I don't want to dump $1800 on a new camera and fixing mine will still be cheaper than buying even a used 7D.

Question is, when I send it in to have the mirror checked so I even bother with the USB port? Is it separate enough of a thing that it's demise will not affect other electronic parts of my camera?

I also have a 6D that I use for when I need/want a FF camera. My 7D is when I go shooting wildlife.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

D

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Richard.
I would anticipate if you don't tell them about the failed USB they should tell you, it may even be a vital connection for them to interrogate the operating system, I'll take a guess they have diagnostic devices just like they plug in to a car!
Whilst they are in the camera it is probably worth having them fix it just for the occasion when you do need / want tethering capability, and for increased resale value if you ever decide to move it on.
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Reset the camera to see if that fixes the USB port.

Definitely tell them about every issue you are aware of. The problem could be a failing motherboard, or just a loose flex print connection, but get it fixed.

The sticky mirror is part of the reason for hoping that they will do away with it and go to mirrorless once the technology is ready. Those motors and moving parts are a big hit on reliability.

Upvote 0

Richard8971

Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:

Definitely tell them about every issue you are aware of. The problem could be a failing motherboard, or just a loose flex print connection, but get it fixed.

The sticky mirror is part of the reason for hoping that they will do away with it and go to mirrorless once the technology is ready. Those motors and moving parts are a big hit on reliability.

Yeah, you are prob right, I will likely go ahead and get it fixed. I have reset the camera (took out both batteries) and even tried a firmware update. Still no luck.

I know the history of my camera and I know how i have treated it. It still looks brand new even though I use it as often as I can. It has never been dropped and has been well taken are of. To repair my camera, IMO, is going to be cheaper than getting another camera. It's been a workhorse and has done everything I have asked it to do. The 7D2 is a very nice camera but not nice enough to justify dropping $1800.00 to replace my 7D.

I'm just really hoping getting it fixed doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm hoping in the 300-500 area.

D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Richard8971 said:

Yeah, you are prob right, I will likely go ahead and get it fixed. I have reset the camera (took out both batteries) and even tried a firmware update. Still no luck.

I know the history of my camera and I know how i have treated it. It still looks brand new even though I use it as often as I can. It has never been dropped and has been well taken are of. To repair my camera, IMO, is going to be cheaper than getting another camera. It's been a workhorse and has done everything I have asked it to do. The 7D2 is a very nice camera but not nice enough to justify dropping $1800.00 to replace my 7D.

I'm just really hoping getting it fixed doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm hoping in the 300-500 area.

D

I missed that it was the original 7D. Unless it can be fixed for $300 or less, I'd consider buying a refurb 7D thru CLP for about $700. You will get a near new camera with a 1 year warranty. Broken ones go for $200-$300 on ebay depending on condition, so spending $400 or $500 to fix it is a losing bet. Chances are that the buyer can fix it for $100 and flip it for a profit.

Upvote 0

Richard8971

Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I missed that it was the original 7D. Unless it can be fixed for $300 or less, I'd consider buying a refurb 7D thru CLP for about $700. You will get a near new camera with a 1 year warranty. Broken ones go for $200-$300 on ebay depending on condition, so spending $400 or $500 to fix it is a losing bet. Chances are that the buyer can fix it for $100 and flip it for a profit.

Refurbs are running $863.00 right now. Eh, not worth it. Yes, it comes with a 1 year warranty, but I am not planning on selling my 7D. I have no interest on making profit on it. I bought it new for $1550.00 so profit isn't really anything I'm worried about. They are not worth right now even close to what I paid for it and I am not sorry about that. It has done everything I have asked and more.

I realize that this is apples to oranges but I bought my wife a refurbished Nikon D7000 directly from Nikon and it wasn't anything special. You could tell it had been used (wear was slight, but you could see it if you looked closely) and the camera had close to 25,000 clicks on it when I checked it online. I have bought plenty of refurb items but they are not new... not even close. :(

D

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-7d-body-refurbished

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Richard8971 said:

Refurbs are running $863.00 right now. :(

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-7d-body-refurbished

But, using CLP (Canon's customer Loyalty program), you usually get either 15 or 20% off the regular refurb store price, which brings it down more. You trade in a broken camera, it can be a 35mm SLR, or a broken power shot. Give them the serial number when you call, and they e-mail a shipping label to you. When I see a old 35mm rebel or broken powershot for a dollar or two at a garage sale, I buy it and hold it for the occasion where I'll want a refurb body.

Call Canon and ask them what the current deal is for a 7D body. I doubt if they will give 20% off the $863 sale price, but its worth asking.

You can search the internet for the phone number. They have always been very polite and helpful when I call them. Ask about adding a lens to the deal, sometimes there are 50% off on certain lenses when bought with a body. They might not be ones you want, but some of them are ok.

Upvote 0