More 5dII deals, is it a sign...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, it's a sign. A sign that they want to move a few extra 5DII's. Why? Who knows. When Best Buy sold the 5DII at ~20% off the normal price, everyone speculated that it was because a 5DIII was just around the corner - that happened about a month ago, but it also happened in September 2010, and clearly nothing came of it...

Upvote 0
D

dgsphto

Problem is the 5Dmk2 inventory seems to be building up/not selling as quickly because many are holding back the purchase in anticipation of the 5Dmk3. The sale prices help move it.

Ebay had $21xx for BNIB but gray market for about a week or so although they are back up to 22xx today.

More inventory buildup on the 5Dmk2 and slower sales will push Canon into pushing the 5Dmk3 out soon.

Upvote 0
O

Otter

What is happening here is Canon has been loosing a lot of money. Canon's second-quarter earnings were down 30.9%, which has a lot to do with the production halt as a result of the earthquake. Canon does not want to loose any more investors and is trying to move products and increase revenue and their quarterly earnings. What better way to do it then to lower the price on one of their hottest selling cameras? It is working as many people are running out and picking up a MKII as opposed to waiting until the new year for a MKIII at a undetermined price point. Just look at the latest product reviews at B & H. For what you get in the MKII at the current price, it is a bargain.
The MKII will see another price cut at the end of September which will further increase sales.
I have been dieing for them to release the MKIII but after doing a little research, it doesn't seem so cut and dry when it comes to price reduction equals stock clearance to make room for a new product. There's a lot more at work.
Hopefully in early 2012, we'll hear an announcement!

Upvote 0
D

dgsphto

zhap03 said:
Vistek has the 5d2 body on sale today for $1999 CAD!!! Great deal, regardless of speculations about inventory liquidation for 5d3.

Are Vistek a well known seller (sorry, I am on the US side and don't know much about CAD sellers)? Do they sell US warranty products and ship to US?

Also would ordering from them into USA attract customs/duties etc.?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
J. McCabe said:
AFAIK, Canon's pricing policy for new lenses is to sell them at a higher price than that of the previous models, so as to protect shops that still have stock and photographers wishing to sell their lenses 2nd hand.

Isn't it the same with camera bodies ?

Not necessarily. Take the 5DII as a perfect example - it's price at release was $600 less than the original 5D's release price, and that meant it was significantly less that the street price for the 5D at the time of it's release (of course, the real problem was the difficulty in finding a 5DII in stock).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
Yes, it's a sign. A sign that they want to move a few extra 5DII's. Why? Who knows. When Best Buy sold the 5DII at ~20% off the normal price, everyone speculated that it was because a 5DIII was just around the corner - that happened about a month ago, but it also happened in September 2010, and clearly nothing came of it...

+1

Canon does not want to loose any more investors and is trying to move products and increase revenue and their quarterly earnings. What better way to do it then to lower the price on one of their hottest selling cameras? ... The MKII will see another price cut at the end of September which will further increase sales.

Otter, I'm curious how you know this. First because, as far as I can tell, Canon has not lowered their price on the 5D MkII. Individual retailers may be reducing their stock (and as Neuro points out, that can be for any number of reasons), but I haven't found any evidence that Canon itself has cut its price on the 5D II. Given that neither Canon USA nor any of the major U.S. retailers (B&H, Adorama, Amazon, Best Buy) have lowered their prices, I have a hard time believing that there is a broad strategy to boost 5D sales sufficiently to move their quarterly revenues. In fact, given the size and scope of Canon's product line, I really doubt Canon's quarterly revenues would shift all that much no matter how many 5D's were sold.

Also, since you mention a price cut at the end of September, do you have access to inside information about future price cuts? Where is that information coming from?

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

So, in another store today, and the 5D2 with a 24-105 was under £2100.

That is less than I paid for the 5D2 body alone when it came out, and the 24-105 is not the cheapest of lens.

What ever the reasons, Canon have to be involved in this huge movement of these camera's - the deals are just tooooo good!

If it is sales they are after, nothing would get them quicker than a release of a 5D3...

Upvote 0
D

dgsphto

What are the Customs duties in ordering from Henry's Canada into USA by USPS?

Also, I am in California. Would USPS (or customs) collect the CA sales tax on the order when the package goes through customs/USPS?

Never ordered from Canada before hence the questions. It would be great if members who have bought cameras from Canada into USA before can share their experience - not just around customs duties but also US state taxes!

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Picsfor said:
What ever the reasons, Canon have to be involved in this huge movement of these camera's - the deals are just tooooo good!

Why?

Keep in mind, Canon mandates a minimum advertised price for products during rebates, but seemingly not at other times. Obviously, Canon sets the prices at which retailers purchase wholesale products from them. But, hypothetically, say one dealer wants/needs to move stock to meet sales targets, free up inventory space, whatever...so, they drop the price on a one or more items, perhaps to wholesale invoice, perhaps lower. (Lower?!? Sure - the stock was purchased earlier in the quarter, so the expenditure is on the books with no matching revenue to cover it - sometimes, selling at a loss makes fiscal sense, and the 'loss' can be written off with corporate taxes - when a coropration takes a loss, it's not the same as an individual). Now, one dealer has done that, for internal reasons that make internal sense. Of course, they advertise it. Now, other retailers risk losing business because someone else is offering a great deal. So they match it.

If Canon had released an updated 5D model each time this specific scenario ('the price is dropping everywhere so there must be a new model about to be released') has occurred, we'd be on something like the 5D Mark XLVIII by now...

Upvote 0
O

Otter

unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:

+1

Canon does not want to loose any more investors and is trying to move products and increase revenue and their quarterly earnings. What better way to do it then to lower the price on one of their hottest selling cameras? ... The MKII will see another price cut at the end of September which will further increase sales.

Otter, I'm curious how you know this. First because, as far as I can tell, Canon has not lowered their price on the 5D MkII. Individual retailers may be reducing their stock (and as Neuro points out, that can be for any number of reasons), but I haven't found any evidence that Canon itself has cut its price on the 5D II. Given that neither Canon USA nor any of the major U.S. retailers (B&H, Adorama, Amazon, Best Buy) have lowered their prices, I have a hard time believing that there is a broad strategy to boost 5D sales sufficiently to move their quarterly revenues. In fact, given the size and scope of Canon's product line, I really doubt Canon's quarterly revenues would shift all that much no matter how many 5D's were sold.

Also, since you mention a price cut at the end of September, do you have access to inside information about future price cuts? Where is that information coming from?

The retailers that I have spoken to have been moving a decent amount of units(not a ton) and there stock has not been reduced significantly. They still order in more units as they need them. I believe the price drop @ the end of August(I think it was temporary) was Canon driven. I could be wrong.
I do believe it is a strategy of Canon to move units of the MKII with a price drop. This is what I have heard from multiple sources both inside and out of the camera market. I know it is not going to dictate a huge turnaround in quarterly earnings, but it does make a difference globally, even be it a small one.
As for the end of September price drop, yes that is inside information, that's all I can say about that.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Since this is all speculation and rumors, let me suggest another plausible explanation:

Canon has seen Sony trumpet their new a77 and Sigma announce their ridiculously overpriced SD-1. They know Nikon may soon release a new DSLR, but they don't know when. They know their own development schedule calls for a new 5D sometime after they announce a new 1Ds. Maybe they are targeting Photokina next September for the 5D III.

Their biggest fear is losing market share, not so much to Nikon, but to some of these upstarts. They don't have new product ready, so what's the best way to avoid losing market share. Simple, cut the price of the 5D II and lock customers in to your system. Maybe offer some special incentives for dealers to buy multiple bodies or kits, who knows?

Dumping product on the market to lower the price and dry up competition is a well-known strategy (think steel and automobiles). Let's also assume that Sony is their real target. Canon has been beating Nikon now for about 30 years and they know Nikon inside and out, but Sony is starting to be a real threat. What better way to kill off Sony's fancy new SLR than by deeply discounting a full frame, pro-level body.

Of course, this assumes that Canon is indeed cutting the price of the 5DII and it's not just aggressive action by a few retailers (which I am still not convinced it isn't).

My point is simple: a price cut of the 5D II could just as easily be a signal that a new body is NOT forthcoming.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
mreco99 said:
You can get a 5DII (£1590) with a free £200 manfrotto tripod and head here (UK)....

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-digital-slr-camera-body/p1027970

The more deals around, the more likely they want to shift stock for a replacement?

Unfortunately its not the Manfrotto tripod we want. (a job lot at a silly price?).
If they were to offer £200 in gift vouchers it would certainly boost sales.

Hopefully the rumoured Canon announcement due today will end speculation.
Dont hold your breath.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.