More Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Information

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon will be announcing the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro very soon, as we now see Canon marketing leaks ahead of the official announcement.
The Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro will launch at $1399 USD.
Here is some official information from Canon regarding the RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro.
World’s First Medium Telephoto Macro Lens with a Maximum Magnification of 1.4x
The RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM Lens is the world’s first medium telephoto AF Macro lens with a maximum magnification ratio of 1.4x. At its minimum focusing distance of 0.26m, the RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM is capable of capturing detailed images while being remarkably versatile in operation. Whether capturing details of food, jewelry, or traditional macro shots, the RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Well done Canon!
This is a desirable macro lens, with an enviable list of specifications:
- 1.4x magnification (useful for even greater close-up detail)
- spherical aberration control (which I had guessed in the original post about this lens - as I understood it would impact bokeh)
- 5.5 stops of optical image stabilisation (combined with Canon's IBIS can achieve 8 stops in total!)
- expected impressive optical quality, sturdy build quality and great handling.... (pretty much a given on these)

I love my EF 100mm IS L macro, which I use extensively for macro photography, but also find it incredibly powerful as a portrait & event lens.
My intention was to keep the EF 100mm IS L macro for mirrorless (with the EF-RF adapter)... however this RF version may tempt me to go 'all RF'... and lighten my back pocket just another... bit.... more.....

Brave Canon, bravo! ;)

PJ

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
Seems like they are intending the SA control as a alternative to "defocus-smoothing"? If SA is undercorrected, the background has softer bokeh balls, and the foreground harsher, and vice versa. Or probably I have that backwards. That could be a similar effect to the DS version of the 85L, but without the loss of transmission. Seems odd - why put it on this lens instead of a portrait lens? (not that a 100 macro can't double as a portrait lens).

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Seems odd - why put it on this lens instead of a portrait lens?
As I speculated in the other thread, creative use of this combined with focus stacking could enable creating macro images with both sides of the focal plane silky-smooth (or bubble-bokey if that's what you want) while keeping the parts in focus neutrally corrected for optimal IQ.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
When I read that I could could get 8-stops of IS with my R5, my pre-order-trigger-finger started to twitch. Then I remembered that with my EF 100, the shorter the subject distance from the camera, the lesser the Image Stabilizer effect will be... At close to 1:1 macro distances the IS is effectively only about a stop or two... It sure would be nice to get some more detailed specifications on the RF 100's IS capabilities, but I might have to wait for the hands-on reviews... Does anybody have a guess what the real-world Image Stabilization would be at macro distances?

Upvote 0
Before people get too carried away, remember that internal-focussing macro lenses (where the barrel does not extend) typically reduce their focal length quite a lot as you focus closer. That in turn reduces your working distance, which can make lighting the subject harder.

Also, calling 100mm a "medium telephoto" is a bit of a stretch, which I suppose was included because there was already some lens that went to 1.4 magnification at 50mm or similar short tele length. (I don't know of any, though,)

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Before people get too carried away, remember that internal-focussing macro lenses (where the barrel does not extend) typically reduce their focal length quite a lot as you focus closer. That in turn reduces your working distance, which can make lighting the subject harder.

Also, calling 100mm a "medium telephoto" is a bit of a stretch, which I suppose was included because there was already some lens that went to 1.4 magnification at 50mm or similar short tele length. (I don't know of any, though,)

Probably a good time to note that with a 67mm filter thread, the RF 100mm will be compatible with all of the same macro lights that the MP-E and 100mm macro are, with the existing 67mm adapter for the macro lights.

I can totally see the MT-26EX-RT being huge for this new lens and its 1.4x magnification.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
The Canon EF100mm macro lenses are 67-ish mm at MFD, I wonder what the RF will be at 1.4:1. The MT24/26-EX lights with diffusers are great for getting light in between the lens and subject, albeit heavy.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The Canon EF100mm macro lenses are 67-ish mm at MFD, I wonder what the RF will be at 1.4:1. The MT24/26-EX lights with diffusers are great for getting light in between the lens and subject, albeit heavy.
The Canon Japan youtube clip mentions that they tried to minimize focus-breathing and include a sample video. So I'm curious how far down that extends, to 1:1 or even 1.4:1?

Upvote 0
Well done Canon!
This is a desirable macro lens, with an enviable list of specifications:
- 1.4x magnification (useful for even greater close-up detail)
- spherical aberration control (which I had guessed in the original post about this lens - as I understood it would impact bokeh)
- 5.5 stops of optical image stabilisation (combined with Canon's IBIS can achieve 8 stops in total!)
- expected impressive optical quality, sturdy build quality and great handling.... (pretty much a given on these)

I love my EF 100mm IS L macro, which I use extensively for macro photography, but also find it incredibly powerful as a portrait & event lens.
My intention was to keep the EF 100mm IS L macro for mirrorless (with the EF-RF adapter)... however this RF version may tempt me to go 'all RF'... and lighten my back pocket just another... bit.... more.....

Brave Canon, bravo! ;)

PJ
I simply love my EF 100mm, I use it mostly for portraits or to isolate a subject from a small crowd or a busy context.

I wonder, however, if the RF version will be even better than the EF version, or if the only advantage would be to ditch the adapter, thus lightly reducing it's bulkiness.

David

Upvote 0
I simply love my EF 100mm, I use it mostly for portraits or to isolate a subject from a small crowd or a busy context.

I wonder, however, if the RF version will be even better than the EF version, or if the only advantage would be to ditch the adapter, thus lightly reducing it's bulkiness.

David

It doesn't have UD coating, the EF version has some CA. I hope this will be improved on the RF.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Probably a good time to note that with a 67mm filter thread, the RF 100mm will be compatible with all of the same macro lights that the MP-E and 100mm macro are, with the existing 67mm adapter for the macro lights.

I can totally see the MT-26EX-RT being huge for this new lens and its 1.4x magnification.
Speaking of which it will be interesting to see what renders better, the RF 100mm or the MP-E. My money is still on the MP-E based on the performance of the old 100mm but we will see with the new mag ratio :)

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Can't wait to see the spherical aberration control in practice. My next camera is certainly going to be RF mount so I can start using some of these new lenses.

Deutsch Photography: NYC’s Top Corporate, Executive and Actor Headshot Photographer NYC
This would not be the first Canon lens with this btw. I owned the 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus which also had spherical aberration control; I thought I would really like it because I like the rendering of the 50mm f/1.2L, but in practice the spherical aberration control of that lens led to really weird artifacts beyond what you'd imagine (especially on highlights). Hopefully this one is different in that regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As I speculated in the other thread, creative use of this combined with focus stacking could enable creating macro images with both sides of the focal plane silky-smooth (or bubble-bokey if that's what you want) while keeping the parts in focus neutrally corrected for optimal IQ.
Would like to see this technique in practice.......sounds interesting..

Upvote 0