Mounting Photos to MDF

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Looking for advice about permanently mounting photos to MDF (medium density fiberboard). Costco Photo will do 12"X36" for about CAD45, which is reasonable, but they can't go much longer than 36". I have one panorama that is 12"X96" I'd like to mount (got a quote from a framing shop for CAD450). I understand there are pressure sensitive films that adhere on both sides, and heat activated films that also adhere on both sides. I've seen comments that the heat sensitive films adhere better than the pressure sensitive ones, but need about 200F to activate the glue. The only way I could do that is with a clothes iron, and that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It appears that I would need a roller press for either method, and there are some relatively inexpensive ones available on Amazon. However, the rolls of adhesive film are not cheap. I'd appreciate any advice from members have that have experience in mounting photos to MDF before I spend several hundred $ on an exercise doomed to failure.

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Thanks for your idea Mt. Spokane. I ordered a 12" X 36" photo mounting on MDF from Costco to see the quality of the product, and just picked it up. I am happy with the result. I'll have to examine my 8' print and see if sectioning it would work given there are buildings in the picture. The product has a 45 degree bevel around the front edge, and the edge and bevel are finished in black, which looks good. While I could cut and bevel an MDF base myself, I'd probably have difficulty in doing a good trim job on the photograph after mounting it on the MDF. Given that difficulty, and the cost of adhesive film, it's probably best to pay the professionals.

Upvote 0