My Experience with a 4K Computer Monitor

Mar 25, 2011
I saw a relatively low cost Samsung 28 inch computer monitor at our local Costco for $ 269 so I bought it, thinking of photo editing. I knew and expected that fonts would be small, and that I could scale them up to readable size, and assumed that by now, most software would handle 4K automatically.

Well, it was not that easy. Adobe Lightroom has scaling settings, so it mostly worked fine, a lot of software worked automatically, but some that I used frequently acted just plain weird. I updated my video driver to the latest, that helped slightly with some software, but I continued to fight software that had tiny tools, menus that would not resize, it was a mixed bag and with the very large amount of software on my computer, it was frustrating.

I tried changing the resolution to 1080p for the difficult software and discovered that fonts were often fuzzy and blurred, so I ran the clear type software to no avail, and changing from 4K to 2K and back always messed with my desktop arrangement. I tried almost every possible combination multiple times, rebooting was usually needed before the effects took hold properly, so it was a big effort.

Finally, after 4 days, I'd had enough and returned it. The monitor did a nice job with Lightroom, but not so nice as to be worth the hassle with other software like Quickbooks. I could live with it, and possibly even get everything working to a reasonable degree, but wondered why I'd punish myself to do it.

So I went back to look at new 2K monitors but saw nothing I wanted, those super wide ones looked weird, and curved ones are not necessary in 28 inch. I've decided to wait and perhaps get a BenQ 27 inch 2K photo monitor if they go on sale.

A few years back when I bought my first full frame camera, I also ordered a 4K monitor. Besides the font size issue, there were artifacts on the screen because my video card was not good enough. I went to a local computer store and upgraded the video card and the technician there suggested that with my computer configuration, any edits would be slowed down as the monitor was displaying 4K. He suggested I go to 2K. I ended up getting a 27" LED LCD Dell monitor with 2560X1440 and could not be happier with it. Print size is readable and the when I compared the display in the store to the 4K next to it, it was very sharp. I bought it from B and H and it actually cost more than the original 4K monitor I returned - guessing something to do with the LED LCD. I did a quick check of the BH web site and they have some similar models available now. Now this one is in the $500 range and so not the bargain you were checking out, but if you want a really good one in the 2K range, you might want to check it out.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
atlcroc said:
A few years back when I bought my first full frame camera, I also ordered a 4K monitor. Besides the font size issue, there were artifacts on the screen because my video card was not good enough. I went to a local computer store and upgraded the video card and the technician there suggested that with my computer configuration, any edits would be slowed down as the monitor was displaying 4K. He suggested I go to 2K. I ended up getting a 27" LED LCD Dell monitor with 2560X1440 and could not be happier with it. Print size is readable and the when I compared the display in the store to the 4K next to it, it was very sharp. I bought it from B and H and it actually cost more than the original 4K monitor I returned - guessing something to do with the LED LCD. I did a quick check of the BH web site and they have some similar models available now. Now this one is in the $500 range and so not the bargain you were checking out, but if you want a really good one in the 2K range, you might want to check it out.

I tried all the resolutions, even 2560 x 1440. I have a new computer and a good video card, those are not a issue, they don't get slowed by 4K at all. I just don't want to deal with software that only operates well at 1080p.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I tried all the resolutions, even 2560 x 1440. I have a new computer and a good video card, those are not a issue, they don't get slowed by 4K at all. I just don't want to deal with software that only operates well at 1080p.

If I recall correctly, you did change to Windows 10, right? Apparently Windows 10 has more scaling features than Windows 7 (& 8.1?) but that doesn't help if the applications doesn't support high-dpi screens well.

I have a BenQ sw320 on order (should arrive Friday), so I get to test this over Christmas. At least the larger screen size should help on the font & icon sizes.

Upvote 0
You mentioned that you were going to look at a 2K Ben Q 28 inch monitor. I was just saying that I went for a Dell 27inch 2K and all the problems of scaling I had with the 4K disappeared when I use this monitor. But I'm only using Lightroom and various versions of Photoshop Elements and premiere elements for my photo work. Have tons of other software and 0 issues with any of those apps. But if you ruled out some 2K 28 inch options because of weird shapes, that is not an issue with the Dell monitors. So if you get a chance to look at any of their LCD LED monitors, that might be another option for you.

Upvote 0
Interesting. For the last year I've been running a BenQ 32" 4K monitor attached to my MBP. In the apple settings I was able to find a monitor scaling resolution that worked well, and the performance has been great. I occasionally find small fonts that don't scale well, but mostly it has been flawless. The biggest issue is that 32" is probably a little too large for a non-curved monitor. I'd strongly consider an ultra wide instead if the PPI gets comparable.

Upvote 0
Windows 10 is more aware of scaling fonts and in principle any software compatible with Win 10 should be ok.
Before updating to a couple of 4K monitors, I used the "Process Explorer" utility of the Microsoft SysInternal suite (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/) to check which of the software applications installed on my computer are compatible with higher res displays. For those apps that are not system aware or per-monitor aware we get tiny screens and menus. NiK collection on Photoshop is one of them.
Currently, about 20% of all my apps, some frequently used ones, fail this test meaning that I have to update/upgrade or discard them to have a high-res compatible system. A dirty remedy is to scale down the res of the monitor to 2K -- or -- to buy a magnifying glass!!
Blurred screens and fonts, etc., happen when multiple monitors are used and do not have the same resolution.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Interesting, timely post, Mt. Spokane.

I just topped off a new system build, including a GTX 1070 Ti, with a BenQ 32" 4k. PD3200U.

I was worried about the scaling too after having made the mistake of trying a Dell XPS 15.6" laptop with a 4k screen. Just like you, I thought nothing of problems with font, tools, icons, etc for the laptop because I thought all would be adjusted for the higher resolution. Sent that Dell back real quick. That was two months ago.

But after reading reviews and beginning to understand 32" would fix some of the problems, and scaling others, I gave it a shot. Very, very happy. Running Windows 10's latest update with PS CC and LR Classic CC. I will tell you I kept my old monitor, a 27" 1440dpi, and that's where I put my PS CC tools, using the new 4k for the image window and pretty much everything else, including MS Word and Excel.

All in all, has worked out GREAT for my aging eyes!

Another note, about BenQ. This is my first BenQ product, but I heard of them back in 2004 when I was still living in China. A friend who helped me build a system then said he thought one day they'd be "as big as LG." (Another company I knew nothing about!) But now they are doing so very well.

As for Samsung, great TV's, but I think their monitors are middle of the pack.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I saw a relatively low cost Samsung 28 inch computer monitor at our local Costco for $ 269 so I bought it, thinking of photo editing. I knew and expected that fonts would be small, and that I could scale them up to readable size, and assumed that by now, most software would handle 4K automatically.

Well, it was not that easy. Adobe Lightroom has scaling settings, so it mostly worked fine, a lot of software worked automatically, but some that I used frequently acted just plain weird. I updated my video driver to the latest, that helped slightly with some software, but I continued to fight software that had tiny tools, menus that would not resize, it was a mixed bag and with the very large amount of software on my computer, it was frustrating.

I tried changing the resolution to 1080p for the difficult software and discovered that fonts were often fuzzy and blurred, so I ran the clear type software to no avail, and changing from 4K to 2K and back always messed with my desktop arrangement. I tried almost every possible combination multiple times, rebooting was usually needed before the effects took hold properly, so it was a big effort.

Finally, after 4 days, I'd had enough and returned it. The monitor did a nice job with Lightroom, but not so nice as to be worth the hassle with other software like Quickbooks. I could live with it, and possibly even get everything working to a reasonable degree, but wondered why I'd punish myself to do it.

So I went back to look at new 2K monitors but saw nothing I wanted, those super wide ones looked weird, and curved ones are not necessary in 28 inch. I've decided to wait and perhaps get a BenQ 27 inch 2K photo monitor if they go on sale.

Maybe just use the monitor for photos! I purchased a BenQ 2700PT a few months ago, and I 'm crazy about it. I saw yesterday that they are going for around $599 or so.

Are you using a Mac or Windows.

Scott

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
scottkinfw said:

Maybe just use the monitor for photos! I purchased a BenQ 2700PT a few months ago, and I 'm crazy about it. I saw yesterday that they are going for around $599 or so.

Are you using a Mac or Windows.

Scott

Thats the BenQ I've been watching. Its over priced right now, may be some sales after Christmas. Its getting to be older tech.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Apparently Mac does much better with high density displays. It's going to take a while for Windows to catch up.

If you can't deal with 4K menus, using two monitors wasn't an option?
Most content creators already use multiple displays, you could just use 4K on the side for critical examination and keep the menus on a lower resolution display.
Eventually 32" and 40" 4K monitors will become more common for the people who want all the detail but can't cope with small text (4K at 40" is practically the same density as 2560x1440 27").
I'm happy with 4K 27", but I do admit sometimes I'd like a slightly larger screen. Someday I'll probably end up with 32".

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I bought a 5K iMac when they first came out, and everything works great. I understand that the newer models have a bigger color gamut, but I haven’t used one. It is nice to have room to see 4K video full size and still have room for controls and pallets for editing. It handles Final Cut Pro just fine at 4K. I have used multiple monitors for years and years and figured I’d hook my 23” one as a second monitor, but never felt the need to bother.

There are some web pages where the fonts are a bit small for these old eyes, but hitting Command+ takes care of that. In Photoshop you can view at full size, and for pixel-peeping, you just enlarge to 200%.

Upvote 0
i've had a chance to try Benq's 27" and 32" 4k monitors and the 27" 2k one on my oldish Mac (OS X 10.11)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/category/articles-and-reviews/benq/

4k is nice at 32", but forces me to remember to wear the correct glasses (not quite full strength reading) 27" 4k looks great but not enough software lets me change resolution.

27" 2k works better out of the box, such that it's more pleasant to work with for anything with text. One surprise was just how great the 27" 4k looked in HiDPI (1920) mode on the Mac.

My Mac is upgraded as far as it goes and I use PS CS6 so there are no doubt improvements possible ;-)

Those improvements will have to await the new model Mac Pro ... oh and a big chunk of spare cash, so not soon.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
bhf3737 said:
Windows 10 is more aware of scaling fonts and in principle any software compatible with Win 10 should be ok.

Windows 10 introduces new features (some available only in the latest updates) and tries more hard to make older applications to behave better with high DPI screens, and has more compatibility options, but until applications are modified to work with them (and some older ones may never), not always the results are OK. It will take some time until all applications are updated, or replaced - it's not a simple task.

It's not only a font issue, graphics elements (i.e. icons) may look blurred as well. Applications that bypass standard rendering (i.e many using specific "skins") may be the worst offenders, if not written for high DPI systems.

Having a system with multiple monitors and different DPI will make the situation even more complex.

You can read about the reasons here:

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/05/19/improving-high-dpi-experience-gdi-based-desktop-apps/

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
keithcooper said:
i've had a chance to try Benq's 27" and 32" 4k monitors and the 27" 2k one on my oldish Mac (OS X 10.11)

4k is nice at 32", but forces me to remember to wear the correct glasses (not quite full strength reading) 27" 4k looks great but not enough software lets me change resolution.

27" 2k works better out of the box, such that it's more pleasant to work with for anything with text. One surprise was just how great the 27" 4k looked in HiDPI (1920) mode on the Mac.

My Mac is upgraded as far as it goes and I use PS CS6 so there are no doubt improvements possible ;-)

Those improvements will have to await the new model Mac Pro ... oh and a big chunk of spare cash, so not soon.

Or you could get a faster machine with the same great graphics and more RAM and storage space by buying or building a Windows machine now, say with an Intel i7 8700k (6 cores!). At about half the cost of the future Mac.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
keithcooper said:

Or you could get a faster machine with the same great graphics and more RAM and storage space by buying or building a Windows machine now, say with an Intel i7 8700k (6 cores!). At about half the cost of the future Mac.

Why thank you - I did use a windoze machine several times in the last century, people tell me they are a bit better now...

Upvote 0