My Experience with a 4K Computer Monitor

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Sorry to hear of your issue. Samsung is a lot like Canon, they have a factory tuned to put out vast quantities of monitors and panels, and leave the smaller market for speciality items to those who have their business processes set up to handle them. They may actually be producing panels for some of those companies.

Sharp was basically going out of business and was purchased by Chinese Company Foxconn, a very ruthless company at cutting costs and pulling shenanigans on its own business partners. They assemble iPhones for Apple. So, the panel could be the result of a failing company not being able to maintain quality control, or a new owner slashing costs further. To further complicate things, the LCD and OLED panel makers sometimes purchase panels from each other to make up for shortages or production issues. You don't know for sure what you may get.

Thanks. Average computer users aren't as "involved" with their monitors as photographers. But that doesn't stop the marketing departments pretending that some monitors are "professional" quality. I would hope that the $3000 and up monitors are truly handpicked.

I remember when I bought my first LCD TV, back in 2009 or so, reading in various vidoephile forums of "panel lotteries." And then the same when I bought a Dell 27 inch about five years ago. (Which I'm still very happy with, but now as a second monitor, because just three weeks with a 32 inch 4k has me spoiled.)

So what is the strategy? Be willing to pay more for the new releases in hopes of getting the better quality panels and other components?

It does seem like LR CC and PS CC and Windows 10 are finally working well enough with scaling to make 4k very attractive--if the screen is big enough.

Happy 2018!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
YuengLinger said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Sorry to hear of your issue. Samsung is a lot like Canon, they have a factory tuned to put out vast quantities of monitors and panels, and leave the smaller market for speciality items to those who have their business processes set up to handle them. They may actually be producing panels for some of those companies.

Sharp was basically going out of business and was purchased by Chinese Company Foxconn, a very ruthless company at cutting costs and pulling shenanigans on its own business partners. They assemble iPhones for Apple. So, the panel could be the result of a failing company not being able to maintain quality control, or a new owner slashing costs further. To further complicate things, the LCD and OLED panel makers sometimes purchase panels from each other to make up for shortages or production issues. You don't know for sure what you may get.

Thanks. Average computer users aren't as "involved" with their monitors as photographers. But that doesn't stop the marketing departments pretending that some monitors are "professional" quality. I would hope that the $3000 and up monitors are truly handpicked.

I remember when I bought my first LCD TV, back in 2009 or so, reading in various vidoephile forums of "panel lotteries." And then the same when I bought a Dell 27 inch about five years ago. (Which I'm still very happy with, but now as a second monitor, because just three weeks with a 32 inch 4k has me spoiled.)

So what is the strategy? Be willing to pay more for the new releases in hopes of getting the better quality panels and other components?

It does seem like LR CC and PS CC and Windows 10 are finally working well enough with scaling to make 4k very attractive--if the screen is big enough.

Happy 2018!

I'd love to have a monitor larger than 28 in, I have a space issue, there are built-in cabinets above my monitor, so I have about 19-1/2 clearance. Some 30 in monitors with adjustable height will fit, but 32 in will not. I could lower my work top, its 30 in high, because I have 29 inch high file cabinets under it, but the large corner area where my monitor sits could be lowered. I built the entire setup, so I know it can be lowered. Its actually a independent section that just needs some effort to disassemble and cut down. Maybe in the spring or summer, my workshop is out in my barn and its 10 degrees in there today. 2 inches lower should work for a 32 in monitor without my knees hitting the desk top.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
A lot of discussion about monitors, resolution and size.
In my view, having a monitor that displays colours accurately, especially wide gamut, is more important. And my recent experience has told me that screen uniformity is most important. And calibration / profiling is critical for any post processing, especially to print.
I bought a BenQ SW2700. The first one was awful with the left side visibly warmer than the cooler right side.
The replacement is much better but still doesn't meet BenQ's standards (although that is disputed).
I will replace the BenQ with a NEC PA242W for improved uniformity. The NEC, like the BenQ and Eizos allows hardware calibration, which is a valuable feature.
Buying a BenQ is like a lottery. If you get a good one, you will be happy. If not ....

Upvote 0
YuengLinger, sorry to hear about your issues.

I picked up a BenQ SW320 between Christmas and New Year, and so far I'm very happy with it.

I have increased the system font size from 100% to 125% which works for my eyes (it did take a couple of days to feel comfortable with it). I've put my older Dell U2412M in portrait mode next to the SW320, but the jarring difference in dpi (the sw320 has a dpi 50% higher than the U2412M) makes it an unhappy marriage, due to Windows 7 cannot handle independent dpi's per-screen.

Mt Spokane, I would be very cautious about lowering your desk height. I'm tall & lanky, and I easily notice an inch of difference. With your troubles with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I would think twice and thrice before committing to the change. For the sake of making a quick experiment, maybe you could find a piece of 1" wood that you could place under the chair to get a feel for the difference.

Unlike Frodo, I haven't noticed any non-uniformity on the sw320 - but I haven't been chasing it either.

Upvote 0
I've got a Microsoft Surface Studio which has a 28" 4.5K screen.
I have the text at +250% and every thing is easy to read, and my photos and video look great.
I wasn't too keen on having a touchscreen, but having used it for a few months I'm absolutely sold.
Laying the screen flat means you can easily cut things out and use the screen as a giant Wacom tablet.

This pc works really well as it was designed for the screen.
A number of my Mac friends are very jealous of this pc................

Upvote 0