My First EOS-M Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they have an AF mode where you can select a point (or little box) on the touch screen and have it focus on that ? How well does AF perform if you do it that way ?

I have a panasonic GF2 that has similar AF options. I don't use touch shoot because I like to get a lock and then decide when to shoot (and maybe shoot a few frames, not just one). I seldom use AF tracking on mirrorless unless I'm in video mode (which works pretty well on the new panasonic bodies). For stills I like to use single point AF like I would with a DSLR (though I use the touch screen to pick out the point)

Upvote 0
elflord said:
Do they have an AF mode where you can select a point (or little box) on the touch screen and have it focus on that ? How well does AF perform if you do it that way ?

I have a panasonic GF2 that has similar AF options. I don't use touch shoot because I like to get a lock and then decide when to shoot (and maybe shoot a few frames, not just one). I seldom use AF tracking on mirrorless unless I'm in video mode (which works pretty well on the new panasonic bodies). For stills I like to use single point AF like I would with a DSLR (though I use the touch screen to pick out the point)
Yes it has a spot focus mode however it's the exact same deal using the shutter button it hunts and racks focus and takes ages to lock with the touch to shoot mode it's almost instant probably not far off the speed of a rebel. The difference is quite wierd. If you turn off touch to shoot and touch the screen it focuses quite fast but when you hit the shutter button it has additional lag like its focusing again. The only scenario I have found the shutter button response to be even close to acceptable is if continuous focus is on and it's in face detect mode and has already locked onto a face. Then it's quite quick however touching the screen is always the fastest

Upvote 0
Actually 3200 is not too bad it responds ok to noise reduction but pattern noise in shadows starts to show. All those I had in av with 1/3 Ec adde in, it could probably have taken 2/3 to protect the shadows more. I find the oof areas show noise up quite badly even at lower Iso most can be fixed with extra noise reduction in light room. After using it a bit more i really feel that the shutter button issue could be fixed in firmware since the touch to shoot is so fast surely they could make the spot focus mode using the shutter just as fast. It's a pity they didn't manage to clean up the quality of the noise like the 5d3 then iso 6400 would be totally useable however when you apply noise reduction latter noise sticks out a lot. And it takes high amounts of noise reduction to clean up. But considering the tiny size of the camera image quality is respectable and very usable up to 1600 with 3200 ok if exposed properly with no under exposure 6400 could also be saved for some shots but its not an Iso I would use a lot on this camera.
Doesn't everyone put lemon in corona?

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
wickidwombat said:
gmrza said:
I know you were underwhelmed by the 18-55mm kit lens - it would however be interesting to see some examples shot with that lens, and possibly some crops as well.

yeah sure i'll do a head to head vs the 16-35 f2.8LII this weekend

That would be awesome, although a kit lens against the 16-35 is like taking a knife to a gunfight! It should give a very good juxtaposition though.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
No live view magnification = weak sauce... since you are shooting in live view all the time not having the magnification ability is just dumb.

First, thanks for the detailed review. I wanted to love this camera as a second body for traveling lighter, but with all the negative reviews of the af speed I almost wrote it off. You turned me around enough to go try it for myself at a local camera shop. I totally agree that the tap to take a photo method gives the fastest af.

I also noticed that there was a live view magnification, but I believe the camera has to be set to manual focus for the option to be available. Once it is in manual focus mode a magnifying glass icon in the lower right corner of the screen lets you cycle through 1x, 5x and 10x magnification (I think). I only got to play with the camera for a limited time so I'm no expert, but I you should definitely look into getting that live view magnification working. I'd love to help remove a negative from your cons list.

Upvote 0
Cb33 said:
wickidwombat said:
No live view magnification = weak sauce... since you are shooting in live view all the time not having the magnification ability is just dumb.

First, thanks for the detailed review. I wanted to love this camera as a second body for traveling lighter, but with all the negative reviews of the af speed I almost wrote it off. You turned me around enough to go try it for myself at a local camera shop. I totally agree that the tap to take a photo method gives the fastest af.

I also noticed that there was a live view magnification, but I believe the camera has to be set to manual focus for the option to be available. Once it is in manual focus mode a magnifying glass icon in the lower right corner of the screen lets you cycle through 1x, 5x and 10x magnification (I think). I only got to play with the camera for a limited time so I'm no expert, but I you should definitely look into getting that live view magnification working. I'd love to help remove a negative from your cons list.

cool thanks for the heads up.
Even though when i was using the 600FD which is manual focus anyway i never changed the camera into manual focus mode. I'll try it out, this will make things tons better for manual focus lenses, still it would be good if it automatically changed itself into this mode when a non autofocus enabled lens was attached the magnification would be handy even in auto focus too to verify it was getting it right, however so far AF accuracy has not appeared to be an issue with the tap to shoot mode, using the shutter button it focuses on all manner of wierd stuff but as for hitting the target with the touch to shoot i'm impressed with the accuracy even at narrow apertures.
they should be able to enable magnification in any mode too just like the 5D cameras in live view. heres hoping for a firmware update that gives magnification to all modes and gives the shutter button the touch to shoot speed (which is pretty reasonable).

To be totally honest the more I use this little guy the more I like it.
I think the quality of the little 22mm f2 plays a part here its a nice combo.
I think even iso3200 is useable if you absolutely make sure nothing is even close to being under exposed or contains heavy shadows.
I still think if it were cheaper it would appeal to alot more people, I feel the price will come down relatively soon though.
I have also noticed battery life is not fantastic I guess it goes with the territory of being permanently in live view
and having that great screen.

Upvote 0
Agreed on all your points about magnification in all focus modes. It seems like that should be possible with firmware either from Canon or magic lantern.

Also, I agree it would be excellent if firmware could improve shutter button af speed to be on par with the screen tap speed.

Plus speaking of manual focus lenses. I know your 600mm is in use with the edmika converter. I hear edmika stuff is high quality, but another big POTENTIAL plus to the EOS M is that it might be able to accept FD lenses with a simple optics free adapter.

I'm leaning pretty hard towards adding this camera to my kit, but I dislike just hoping so many things will come about eventually. If I were smart I would wait for the adapter and firmware updates to happen because by then the price will have dipped nicely, I think.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
wickidwombat said:
I think even iso3200 is useable if you absolutely make sure nothing is even close to being under exposed or contains heavy shadows.
I still think if it were cheaper it would appeal to alot more people, I feel the price will come down relatively soon though.
I have also noticed battery life is not fantastic I guess it goes with the territory of being permanently in live view

I would be interested to know if there is any difference in high ISO performance to the 7D. While they have sensors based on the same technology, the DIGIC chip is still involved even in RAW processing. (That said, I have also got some pretty decent ISO3200 shots off the 7D - again where there are not too many shadows.)

I am conflicted about jumping to buy one of these little fellows. I did really want something with an EVF, but at the same time, my G11 is starting to show wear and tear. I probably should wait for the price to drop, in which case, I can focus mainly on the money spent on lenses and the adapter, and accept that I will replace the body when something better comes out.

Upvote 0
gmrza said:
wickidwombat said:

I would be interested to know if there is any difference in high ISO performance to the 7D. While they have sensors based on the same technology, the DIGIC chip is still involved even in RAW processing. (That said, I have also got some pretty decent ISO3200 shots off the 7D - again where there are not too many shadows.)

I am conflicted about jumping to buy one of these little fellows. I did really want something with an EVF, but at the same time, my G11 is starting to show wear and tear. I probably should wait for the price to drop, in which case, I can focus mainly on the money spent on lenses and the adapter, and accept that I will replace the body when something better comes out.

I can get my hands on a 600D to compare but not a 7D
i'll try borrow the 600D and the 18-55 EF-S kit lens on the weekend to compare sensors and kits lenses too

It might be worth waiting to see if a firmware update comes out cleaning up some of the issues and also if a price drop makes it more appealing as it stands the eos-m kit plus 22mm, 18-55, EF adapter and ex90 flash is not too far off the cost of a 5Dmk2 body brand new.

Depends how bad you want one really, you actually get used to the touch to shoot pretty quickly, I'm really liking it

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.