My First EOS-M Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
wickidwombat said:
I can get my hands on a 600D to compare but not a 7D
i'll try borrow the 600D and the 18-55 EF-S kit lens on the weekend to compare sensors and kits lenses too
AFAIK, the 600D and 7D sensors are exactly the same. The 600D just doesn't have the problem of having dual data paths that the dual-DIGIC architecture in the 7D introduces (apparently visible at times).

That would be a really cool comparison.

wickidwombat said:
It might be worth waiting to see if a firmware update comes out cleaning up some of the issues and also if a price drop makes it more appealing as it stands the eos-m kit plus 22mm, 18-55, EF adapter and ex90 flash is not too far off the cost of a 5Dmk2 body brand new.

Hmm,
I see the dual lens kit with the Speedlite goes for around $1011 (incl GST) - RRP is $1149. The EF to EFM adaptor goes for around $131 (RRP $149). That's a total of about $1142 (incl GST). Where are you getting your 5DIIs from? ;-)

wickidwombat said:
Depends how bad you want one really, you actually get used to the touch to shoot pretty quickly, I'm really liking it

That is what I am thinking - that is how you would mainly use it with the 22mm lens, which would probably be the most used lens.

One other thought: with the EX90 Speedlite, have you thought of the idea of using a short TTL cable and holding the flash in one hand and the camera in the other to achieve bounce flash? (Of course you couldn't use touch to shoot then, unless you were a three-armed mutant!)

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
wickidwombat said:
its more expensive here in australia i think around $1350 or something
I got credited back what the fuji x10 cost me before which was around $800
so I only had to pay $550 for the eos-m
And i know a few people snapping up new 5Dmk2s for around $1500

I was quoting Australian pricing. ;-) The twin lens + Speedlite kit is available for AUD 1011.12 and the adapter for AUD 131.12.

True - there are 5DIIs floating around (parallel import) for just under $1600:
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/categories/Digital-SLR/Canon-Digital-SLR/Canon-5D-Mark-II/

Upvote 0
gmrza said:
One other thought: with the EX90 Speedlite, have you thought of the idea of using a short TTL cable and holding the flash in one hand and the camera in the other to achieve bounce flash? (Of course you couldn't use touch to shoot then, unless you were a three-armed mutant!)

At my local camera shop, the clerk and I were messing about with the 90ex. We didn't try to use a TTL cable, but he did say it should work as a master for compatible off camera Canon flashes. He even stuck it on a 5DmkIII and it seems it should work as a master on it and presumably other FF Canons without built-in flashes too.

Upvote 0
Cb33 said:
At my local camera shop, the clerk and I were messing about with the 90ex. We didn't try to use a TTL cable, but he did say it should work as a master for compatible off camera Canon flashes. He even stuck it on a 5DmkIII and it seems it should work as a master on it and presumably other FF Canons without built-in flashes too.

I should add that there wasn't a display model external flash to act as slave. So we never actually tested the ability of the 90ex to act as master, just saw that the menu options were there.

I hope to go back tomorrow with my wife so that she can play with it before we decide if we want to buy it. When I do go back to the shop, I'll bring my 430exii to test it with.

Upvote 0
infared said:
Wickiwombat...seems to me that you are trying to talk yourself into liking a piece of crap, (compared to what's available in the marketplace today).....please read what you have written...it is kind of obvious.

maybe... but can you be more specific?

however currently this is the only mirrorless camera that can use autofocus canon lenses
it has lots of negatives but it does have positives too.

I wouldnt go as far as calling it a piece of crap though

Upvote 0
I said I would check back in after I played with the M and the 90ex in a store, so… the 90ex works as a master to control off camera canon speedlites. I tested it with a 430exii and all controls worked via the menu system on camera. There is only an on off button on the 90ex flash so obviously there is no way to control the external flash from there. It doesn't exactly make it okay that the 90ex isn't able to angle for bouncing off the ceiling, but it is a nice feature. And as I said before it seems like it would also serve as a cheap but fairly weak master for a 5DIII or 1DX.

I also made a final decision to hold off on buying an EOS M. One of the reasons I own a camera is to take pictures of my son and it's just not going to work for that. I am actually saddened. Here's hoping for that firmware update or I'll be waiting and hoping that the second generation will have improved af speed.

I'm glad you are liking yours, though wickidwombat.

Upvote 0
Hi
Thanks for the nice review.
I bought a EOS M yesterday (with both lenses and the adapter) , although it's early times, here is some findings. My intention for buying was handheld video, as I travel around the world in my job and it's hard to pickup the 5D3 spontaneous. For sure this camera is an add-on to my 5D3.
I have noticed that AF is much faster if you use the "spot" metering, less hunting, both for video and pictures. Actually shooting with touching the screen is good as you easily can place the focus where you want, as for iphone. It also reduces possible hunting for auto focus.
If you gonna move the focus point on a 5D3, it will also take some time.
Nice is also that you can download picture styles as for the bigger brothers, you footage for video can then look more similar and easier to grade.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
Cb33 said:
I also made a final decision to hold off on buying an EOS M. One of the reasons I own a camera is to take pictures of my son and it's just not going to work for that. I am actually saddened. Here's hoping for that firmware update or I'll be waiting and hoping that the second generation will have improved af speed.

I'm glad you are liking yours, though wickidwombat.

My main interest in the EOS M has been as a replacement for my G11, which is starting to show wear and tear. After playing around with it in a store, my current feeling is that I want to wait a few months until Canon announces the next EOS M body - hopefully with an EVF - for an interchangeable lens camera, I really do want a viewfinder. - I can accept that an EVF will make it slightly bigger, but that is a price I am prepared to pay.

I found the tap-to-shoot functionality novel, but slightly awkward. I struggled a little to hold the camera and leave one hand free to tap with.

In all fairness, considering the target market for this camera (P&S upgraders) it doesn't seem bad. It isn't targeted at someone who has been using a SLR in manual mode however. Unfortunately, enthusiasts are probably in the minority.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
FINALLY got to use the EOS M in the real world (a show I went to a couple of days ago, would not have gotten in with a 5D3). I just have to give a +1 to the incredible image quality out of this cam - I was pleasantly surprised, even in the low light. It's perfectly fine as an eventual replacement for my SD950IS - finally, a compact camera that can provide decent IQ!

Its weak point, as everyone has already said, is the AF. It's usually quick enough but on occasion it will hunt (go in and out) when it was in focus already- not sure why/how that happens, the SD950IS never did that- but hopefully that's something that can be tweaked/fixed in firmware. (Didn't stop me from getting a few cool action shots though ;D )

I made use of the continuous shooting mode several times. It's actually quite responsive and coupled with the manual control allowed me to get shots I likely would not have captured with the SD950IS.

The 22mm lens was a bit wider than I would have liked for many shots (provided a good perspective when the action was close, though)...I would really like to see a ~50mm fast prime lens that's either the same size as or just a little larger than the 22.

But comparing to the SD950IS - completely blows it out of the water in IQ, color reproduction and resolution. Plus I can shoot RAW and my workflow is the same as when I shoot with the DSLR. I still carried the SD950IS with me and used it when I wanted to get a little closer...comparing the pics, you can EASILY tell which camera took which shot.

Upvote 0
Re: Focus Peaking

mrsfotografie said:
I've been comparing the EOS-M to the Sony Nex series and IMHO this is what the EOS-M needs to be competitive, at least if you want to use manual focus lenses via an adapter:

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06/sony-firmware-update-brings-peaking-to-nex-3-and-nex-5

Update:

I partially made up my mind, for a mirrorless I definitely prefer the Sony NEX-6 over the EOS-M (for now). I think it is so much more camera and more suited for use with MF lenses, also for the money. Lens-wise I would go for the Sony kit zoom in e-mount only, and a Nex-FD adapter for my FD lenses. Giving my FD lenses a new lease of life does have a lot of appeal if only I get to play around with them on a digital body. I have no interest in using my EOS lenses for the mirrorless body so EOS compatibility is not an issue for me.

Now I need to consider if I am truly going mirrorless, itchy feeling with the upcoming festive season ;)

To change my mind, Canon needs to hurry up with that second EOS-M body!! 8)

Upvote 0
Eli said:
Question for all the people who own the eos m; how do you find the 18-55 lens? I'm contemplating getting the 18-55 kit or just the 22mm with adaptor and use my EF lenses if I need zoom..
Sorry I was too busy to do my test i'll try get onto it this weekend
I just ordered the lens coat p&s body bag large for it which should fit nicely too

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Eli said:
Question for all the people who own the eos m; how do you find the 18-55 lens? I'm contemplating getting the 18-55 kit or just the 22mm with adaptor and use my EF lenses if I need zoom..

Well, Roger at Lensrentals seems to have found it to be quite good:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/10/eos-m-first-impressions

"As to the 18-55 kit lens, I didn’t have a lot of samples to test, but it was shockingly sharp, too. Tested at 22mm (because that’s what we were set up at) and f/4 it was nearly as good as the 22mm prime was at f/2.0. That’s quite a good showing for the kit lens. I would mention, though, it has a breathtaking amount of barrel distortion at the wide end. Not quite a fisheye zoom, but you’ll notice it, no question."

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I took some test shots with the 18-55 at my camera store (was looking to get one soon), put them on my card to evaluate...I was underwhelmed.

Build quality is MUCH better than the DSLR version, but IQ seems to be about the same, unfortunately. Images lacked sharpness and pop, even shooting in RAW. The 22mm is noticeably better. (I don't know if I was given a bum sample or what...I see people saying it's sharp but I cannot agree, unfortunately)

On the positive side, though- it feels nice and solid. Not cheap and plasticky like the EF-S version.

Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:
I've been comparing the EOS-M to the Sony Nex series and IMHO this is what the EOS-M needs to be competitive, at least if you want to use manual focus lenses via an adapter:

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06/sony-firmware-update-brings-peaking-to-nex-3-and-nex-5

Or you can ask ML team to make one for you. ML delivers much faster than Canon and with Canon, you can't be sure that they will do it because they "protect" their video sales.

Upvote 0

verysimplejason said:
mrsfotografie said:

Or you can ask ML team to make one for you. ML delivers much faster than Canon and with Canon, you can't be sure that they will do it because they "protect" their video sales.
i would expect ML to come out with something before canon too

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.