my first post here

Welcome to CR. Hoverflies are always difficult to identify, you usually need to look at multiple features, including the dorsal pattern and even in some cases, the legs. From the shape, I would guess at some sort of Syrphid hoverfly, but I could be off the mark, especially as you're likely to get different species in Canada (and shape doesn't always remain constant for a given family). It should point you in the right direction to make at least a family ID, if not genus. There are some online resources that may help, although I'm more familiar with UK sites.

Dasysyrphus Hoverfly by Kernuak, on Flickr

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
While on a recent outing I bumped into an entomologist named Bug Bob. He had sent along this web site http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740 which was most helpful in identifying bugs. Note the Guide section

When you have an MP-E 65 or other macro lens, having good bug ID resources is key.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
yeow_z said:
I dont think this is Syrphid hoverfly but thanks for the id though and for your comments. Yes, they are difficult to identify, ive seen a lot. thanks again. great shot btw! love the lighting.
Thanks, it was actually taken with a ring flash in low light. Hope you've had some luck in the ID, sometimes it can take months, then you suddenly come across something.

Upvote 0