My First Wedding (highlights)

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
I was stressed out by the challenge of shooting my first wedding. To add to the stress I had no lighting assistant due to unforeseeable circumstances and the weather was changing minute by minute so working outdoors had me extra paranoid. Fortunately I had prepared very well and formed a great relationship with the couple.

After sharing the images with the couple last night I was relieved by their overwhelming excitement and appreciation. I wasn't able to get all the shots I had envisioned due to time constraints but delivered on what the couple wanted and exceeded their expectations in some regards.

Having not really attended many weddings in my life, I now know what a true privilege it is to shoot one and what responsibility the photographer has to document such an important event in these families' lives, as well as to showcase the talents of all the creative people involved in putting everything together.

Attachments

• Wild Wedding Web-31.jpg
    Wild Wedding Web-31.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 435
  • Wild Wedding Web-73.jpg
    Wild Wedding Web-73.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Wild Wedding Web-71.jpg
    Wild Wedding Web-71.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 426
  • Wild Wedding Web-61.jpg
    Wild Wedding Web-61.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 448
  • Wild Wedding Web-57.jpg
    Wild Wedding Web-57.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 408
  • Wild Wedding Web-41.jpg
    Wild Wedding Web-41.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 423

StudentOfLight

Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Camera nut said:
To me, those are outstanding photos. Just curious. How many pictures did you take? How many keepers. Some out of focus possibly? I don't have the guts to do a wedding shoot. Just curious on what percentage of good shots does one get in a wedding shoot. We obviously see the good ones. Not trying to be nosy; just curious.
I took 268 photos and I delivered 162 to the client. I was using the 5D-III so only missed focus on a handful of shots.

In fairness I took three duplicated of each group shot in case people blinked. Thankfully I only had to do face swaps on two of the group shots. One of these shots was very important to the client was of the immediate families together with the couple. 12 people and that one took about an hour to do properly.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
painya said:
Which Lenses did you use?
For the ceremony I was using the Tamron 24-70/2.8 mainly at f/4
Outdoors I was mainly using the Tamron 70-200/2.8 also around f/4
For the couple portraits I used the 135L at f/2
For the reception and dancing venue I used the 135L and the 24L both at f/2.2

Upvote 0

Tabor Warren Photography

I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
Feb 2, 2012
Tulsa, OK
www.photosbytabor.com
Congratulations, StudentOfLight!

Those are some fantastic shots for your first wedding! I certainly wish my first wedding looked like that. :)

I'm also selfishly glad to hear your insight regarding the responsibilities of the wedding photographer. I feel like our market is over saturated and many of the photographers, at least here in the Tulsa, OK market, have lost sight of the importance of what we do for the couple. It's great to hear that you caught on to that so quickly. I had one such aforementioned photographer for our wedding day and our photos are, I'll simply say, not the best. My sister had a nonchalant photographer for her day as well, and her photos were not great either. Those two examples are what got my wife and I involved in wedding photography. We began shooting weddings November of 2012 and now average ~2/weekend, and it is our full time job.

Keep up the great work, and if you happen to run into any questions which I could help you with, feel free to shoot me an email.

Congratulations again,
-Tabor

Upvote 0