My gears for 14 Hrs at Grand Canyon

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends :
Here are my gears for 14 Hrs. at Grand Canyon and 5 days and 3 nights at Las Vegas. Yes, My wife get the great price 3 stars hotel at the strip, " The Excalibur" for $ 31 US Dollars per night, And 14 Hrs, Tour by Big Bus from the hotel to South Rim at Grand Canyon, Plus 2 Hrs Tour around South Rim by Jeep , Plus Lunch Box, Museum Cost and I-Max Movie about Grand Canyon = $ 179 US Dollars Each ( Start from Hotel at 5:30 AM).
Well, I will miss the Sun Rise and Sun Set at Grand Canyon in this Trip, If So Great, May be Next Trip I will stay at South Rim, Or Bryce , Or Zion National Park in2-3 Night-----Yes, May be next trip.

Yes, This will be My First time in Grand Canyon ( 11/11-14/ 2013)= My Dream in my Life to recorded the Pictures and See the Most Wonderful Scenery in the World, But Not the Last Time. Next Trip, I will let my Wife spend money at the strip and stay in Las Vegas, And I will go to take the Photos of Sun rise/ Sun Set at Grand Canyon alone----Ha, Ha, Ha.---Yes, That will be a great Idea, She Make money, And I make the Photos.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Attachments

• GC-1.jpg
    GC-1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,740
  • GC-2.jpg
    GC-2.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1,799
  • GC-3.jpg
    GC-3.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,752
  • GC-4.jpg
    GC-4.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 1,799
Jan 11, 2013
Sounds like a great trip. Never been there so I can't offer any advice except that you should try to lighten up a bit. Looks like your bogged down with too much gear. One body, few lenses, tripod, backpack, water, sunscreen, hiking poles if you get a chance for a hike. I was just recently in Hawaii with one camera body, 24-105, tripod, few filters, and a backpack and I was light enough to move around without worry. Unfortunately, with the tour you are on, you will only have short times to set up and take photos so the more gear you have, the more you'll be concentrated on that, instead of the scenery.
Good luck, have fun.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
drob said:
Sounds like a great trip. Never been there so I can't offer any advice except that you should try to lighten up a bit. Looks like your bogged down with too much gear. One body, few lenses, tripod, backpack, water, sunscreen, hiking poles if you get a chance for a hike. I was just recently in Hawaii with one camera body, 24-105, tripod, few filters, and a backpack and I was light enough to move around without worry. Unfortunately, with the tour you are on, you will only have short times to set up and take photos so the more gear you have, the more you'll be concentrated on that, instead of the scenery.
Good luck, have fun.

Thank you, Sir, Dear Mr. drob.
Yes, Sir, You are Right 1000%, I just too greedy, and try to get all the Lens that I might ( MIGHT) Need, But, I will Move some of Lenses of My Back Pack---Yes, I do not Need 85 mm, F/ 1.2 L MK II, and I do not need 100mm F/ 2.8 L Macro IS.
Thanks for your Great Comments.
Have a Good Sunday, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
drob said:
Looks like your bogged down with too much gear.

+1

drob said:
One body, few lenses, tripod, backpack, water, sunscreen, hiking poles if you get a chance for a hike.

+1

drob said:
Good luck, have fun.

And especially +1

Should be sunny with highs in the 60's and lows in the 20's. Depending on the size of the group, there may not be a lot of "photo" time, so be ready to set up and shoot during the pause while the rest are doing their iPhone pictures.

And, if you ever do have an opportunity to visit the Canyon in the future where you will be staying overnight, PM me and I can give you some insight into where o stay, etc. Just beware that things book up months in advance during the summer months so you will need to have lots of lead time to plan a trip.

JP

Upvote 0
Surapon,

are you really sure that you need all this equipment for this trip. Taking into account your age (no offence) I think that you are taking too much gear and you will be extremely tired due to its weight. Also, take into consideration that there might be thieves and if you loose your equipment that would be extremely painful. I would suggest to you to take one camera, 1 UWA lens, 70-20 2.8L and 24-70 2.8L. Also, please think in advance what kind of photos your are going to make and then choose your lenses accordingly.

From my own experience - I was carrying my 7D + kit lens (18-135) in Rome for the whole day and at the end of the day I already felt that such equipment became quite heavy :) I am 37 years old and really fit. I can not imagine carrying your full backpack for the whole day ;)

Upvote 0
Surapon, as others have said, your kit is way too heavy! Have been there several time, most recently in June, on the north rim, and shot all my images with 24-70 2.8L Mk2. My friend shot all with 24-105. Neither one of us went to shorter or longer even tho we both had longer in our bags in the car. I suggest you consider carrying just the one. If you really feel you want a second, take the 16-35 or 17-40. Be sure, however, to carry the polarizers and hoods. Also, avoid, if you can, changing lenses outside. There's always a breeze, albeit slight, and dust in the air. The spare batteries may come in handy, too.

Good luck and have a good time.

Zen ;D

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Thousand Thanks, Dear Friends, Jpaz, Efka 76 and Zen.
Thanks for your Comments, Yes, The More I thinks ---That Too much equipment for short time in Grand Canyon -Just 14 Hours. Yes, I will keep TS-E 24 mm L II for Typical Wide Angle Picture, Bower 8 mm. fish eye lens just for super Fun, EF 17-40 L for Super Wide angle, EF 24-70 mm L for normal Shooting in The Night time at Las Vegas, EF 70-200 F/ 2.8 L IS for the Details, and the Last EF 100-400mm L IS for far away stone/ Rocks with 2X extender.
Thanks for your Advice---Windy and Dust at South Rim, That Why I will use 2 Camera = 5D MK II with TS-E 24 mm, and 7D with Ef 70-200 mm, With out Change the Lens ( May Be ?).
Yes, My Stomach bigger than Eyes and Brain---I am so Greedy more than my Back and my Old Legs can carry the Load.
Thanks.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Efka76 said:
Surapon,

It will be interesting to hear your story after your trip... if you survive it :D Anyway, wish you good photos and good sightseeing. P.S. Do not forget to go few times to gym and train you back as well as legs ;) You will need that!

Ha, Ha, Ha---Dear my Friend Efka76.
Thanksssss, As my age 64 almost 65, Yes, I have good exercise 6 days a week 1 hour per day with 2 miles slow running ( 4.5 MPH) and every parts of my body exercise in my Solarium.
Yes, With in next 2 years, I might retire from heavy equipment and get Point and shoot Pocket Camera-----Ha, Ha, Ha.----No more Canon 3D or Canon 1DS mk IV ( 2014)----
Thanks you , Sir---Nice to talk to you.
Surapon

Attachments

• S-8.jpg
    S-8.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 1,458
  • S-6.jpg
    S-6.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,438
  • S-10.jpg
    S-10.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1,458
  • S-22.jpg
    S-22.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 1,482
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
chilledXpress said:
Yikes... way too much gear and I'm about half your age. Looks like the first time I went to Hawai'i about 10 years ago. I pack much better these days.

Have fun out there!

Yes, Yes, Yes, Dear chilledXpress.
As all of our friends recommends, I have removed 1/3 of my lenses out of the Back Pack already.
Thanks.
Yes, My dream place, and the first time in my Life at South Rim/ Grand Canyon.
Surapon

Upvote 0
Mid-day photography at the Grand Canyon is going to be tough, but you will still have fun. The real light show happens at sunrise and sunset when the canyon walls and ridges glow.

I've found that my most commonly used focal lengths (on a full-frame body) at the Grand Canyon are 24mm, 45mm, and 90mm. It's funny that they match up with Canon's series of TS-e lenses. I also shoot up to 300mm when creating telephoto landscapes there.

Be careful when using a circular polarizer there, especially if you're using a wide-angle lens. I most likely wouldn't bother using a polarizer if there aren't any clouds and I'm including sky in the shot.

I hope you have an opportunity to come back and appreciate the canyon during some sweet light!

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
chilledXpress said:
Just noticed something... you add red stripes to your hoods and bigger red stripes to your L lenses?

Yes, Sir, Dear Mr. chilledXpress.
I add The Automotive Red Strip( Reflective Strip) and My own symbols on all my Lens hoods, to match to each lens = very easy to get the right lens hood for the right Lens in the dark of the night.
Yes, You have a great / Sharp eyes, Sir.
Surapon.
PS. On my 5D MK II, I add the View Finder Extender on View Finder too, For my Eye Glass , And that Great View Finder Extender is great for not let my Oily Nose wet LCD Panel.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Adam Schallau said:
Mid-day photography at the Grand Canyon is going to be tough, but you will still have fun. The real light show happens at sunrise and sunset when the canyon walls and ridges glow.

I've found that my most commonly used focal lengths (on a full-frame body) at the Grand Canyon are 24mm, 45mm, and 90mm. It's funny that they match up with Canon's series of TS-e lenses. I also shoot up to 300mm when creating telephoto landscapes there.

Be careful when using a circular polarizer there, especially if you're using a wide-angle lens. I most likely wouldn't bother using a polarizer if there aren't any clouds and I'm including sky in the shot.

I hope you have an opportunity to come back and appreciate the canyon during some sweet light!

Thank you, Sir, Dear Mr. Adam Schallau.
Thanks for your Recommendations. Yes, Sir , I will use Graduated ND. Filter too, and Try to compare with Cir-PL at the same location.
Yes, Sir, I will be back to South Rim, Bryce and Zion National Park and Stay over night there for 2-3 Nights , Just my self alone---Ha, Ha, Ha---My wife do not want to see Million years old Rock/ Stone, But She want to spend some money at the Slotted Machine in Las Vegas.
Have a great Day , Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I agree and disagree with all.

Lighten your load. But, since you don't want to change lenses, AND, in a group, you may have to be ready to shoot fast, take two cameras with your two favorite lenses. That way, you are ready for anything. The filters are a great idea.

I will be headed on a similar trip over Thanksgiving, so I will be interested in your insights.

Have fun

sek

Upvote 0