Need your advice: I need a camera strap for hiking

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
All, I'm off to Bryce and Zion soon and will do a fair amount of hiking with my LowePro Flipside Sport 10L AW, picture linked below:

http://www.photographybay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Lowepro-Flipside-Sport-10L-AW-Back.jpeg

I usually shoot with a vanilla neckstrap for smaller lenses, unscripted shooting conditions, etc. and a BlackRapid (the standard one) for more camera-heavy use. But considering I'll be hiking with the backpack on, both of those straps will fight with the backpack to some degree. And I want the camera on demand (out in front on my chest while hiking) rather than have to dismount the backpack and pull it out.

All that said, can you recommend a solution that will either use the two D-rings you see on the shoulder straps, the shoulders straps themselves or my backpack top handle as an attachment point? Needs to be able to hold a non-gripped 5D3 with a 16-35 f/4L IS at a minimum, possibly even my 5D3 + 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, but right now I'm just trying to size up my options.

Also, would the Peak Design Capture Pro be a better move than using those D-rings? Those who have used that product in a hiking shoulder strap setup, please advise, thanks.

- A

I've used a black rapid for years, use the PL200 tripod plates and BR D rings.

Personally I hate the strap mounted to the top hoops, camera is never balanced well, only style of strap I use like that is on my 500L4ii and 200L2. I also use a security line from Para Cord and small clips to be sure my gear stays safe, costs about a quid to make up.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Optech sell short straps you can attach to the webbing on the rucksak strap and I believe Thinktank do as well.

https://optechusa.com/system-connectors/reporter-backpack.html

When trekking, I used to put the backpack on then lengthen the camera strap as long as possible, put it round my neck then put both arms through and shrug it backwards. The camera strap sat on the harness straps of the backpack, taking the weight off my neck/shoulders.
In poor weather I did the same with a holster bag and it hang over my chest so I could quickly put the camera away in case it started raining

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Halfrack said:
Unless there is a specific need, go with the clip setup. A strap camera will bounce around and generally be where you don't want it. With any of the clip setups, you can put your camera in easy reach, but not bouncing out of control.

The Peak Designs stuff will do you well.

Thx, and great Uncle Rog quote. (Hadn't seen that before.)

- A

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
ahsanford said:
All, I'm off to Bryce and Zion soon and will do a fair amount of hiking with my LowePro Flipside Sport 10L AW, picture linked below:

http://www.photographybay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Lowepro-Flipside-Sport-10L-AW-Back.jpeg

I usually shoot with a vanilla neckstrap for smaller lenses, unscripted shooting conditions, etc. and a BlackRapid (the standard one) for more camera-heavy use. But considering I'll be hiking with the backpack on, both of those straps will fight with the backpack to some degree. And I want the camera on demand (out in front on my chest while hiking) rather than have to dismount the backpack and pull it out.

All that said, can you recommend a solution that will either use the two D-rings you see on the shoulder straps, the shoulders straps themselves or my backpack top handle as an attachment point? Needs to be able to hold a non-gripped 5D3 with a 16-35 f/4L IS at a minimum, possibly even my 5D3 + 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, but right now I'm just trying to size up my options.

Also, would the Peak Design Capture Pro be a better move than using those D-rings? Those who have used that product in a hiking shoulder strap setup, please advise, thanks.

- A

I just got back from Yellowstone and used almost all of the above. The black rapid pack strap could be a good option. I usually just use my BR sport strap and put the pack over it and haven't really felt very much restriction. I've also used the capture clips on the pack straps. They were a great option when you're trying to stay hands free and don't want the camera banging on your hip/thigh area - depending on how you carry it and the lens size. The pack straps are a good spot as they distribute the weight better- especially if your pack has the waist belt support and additional chest-cross straps. I've gone into Rocky Mountain Nat Park/Longs Peak, Sky Pond, Andrew's Glacier and flattop mountains with this setup as well as the Boundary waters in minnesota, the North shore of Lake SUperior (many rocky trails/hikes there)... and now Yellowstone. I have had very good experience with it and would only change a couple of things:

The BR strap under the pack strap is like wearing two pairs of underwear... eventually it will rub a little bit and you'll want to adjust it, but otherwise it wasn't a big deal.

The capture clips are great... if you have a grip and a big lens, they will project out off your chest quite a bit. You might not like that. I used an additional elastic/velcro strap I got at the hardware store around the lens barrel to keep it from bouncing as much... but obviously that limits your flexibility/quickness in getting the camera out and shooting-- not really significantly, just worth mentioning. A non-gripped body will be a better choice on the capture clip. The other concern with a capture clip is the "loose and free" camera feeling once it is out of the clip - I have the hand grip strap from Peak Design - but honestly, it stuck out too much and caught on things in front of me and made me more uneasy... I just left the BR strap on, and transferred the camera from clip to BR/kirk clamp combo or monopod/tripod/beanbag when in use.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I recently bought the Capture Pro and am still getting used to it. I have used it briefly on my backpack on the shoulder strap but not yet on the backpack waist belt. I am not quite sure about it attached to the trouser belt, having a huge lump hanging off my shoulder strap just seems....weird but that is probably more me than the idea itself. I am still trying to work out the maximum camera size/weight I am comfortable with it in each situation.
But it is well-designed, excellently made and very secure. One thing I like about it over the black rapid designs is that it is a dual point mounting that stops it rolling around and the baseplate attachment doubles as tripod quick release plate.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: the PD CapturePro, the first bag in this video is my actual bag (might be the slightly bigger 15L one, not sure):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPopVxKL3No
(they are showing the older original clip design, not the 'Pro' which has Arca compatibility)

So it 100% fits on my shoulder straps and my chest backpack strap slides down enough to discourage 'barrel sway' from a modest size L lens (say an f/4 zoom). See still grab for what I am referring to. It's a good idea, but I think I'd have to hike the clip mounting point pretty high on the strap -- like right on my collarbone -- to pull this off.

I don't see this clip as a viable solution for the 70-200 2.8 on a shoulder strap (that's quite a pickle jar!) but it should work fine on a belt clip (if I didn't pack my BR strap for side holding).

So the PD clip looks pretty good (and quite possibly the winner), but other options would always be appreciated.

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 3.31.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 3.31.25 PM.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 691
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
When I used the camera strap as I described, with it resting on the backpack harness straps, I found an ideal balance where the strap was short enough for the camera to be tight on my body while being long enough to get the camera comfortably to my eye to take photos. I used this method on 4-week treks in the Himalayas, week long walks in the New Zealand and rainforest talks in Indonesia and never had a problems with it bouncing.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
When I used the camera strap as I described, with it resting on the backpack harness straps, I found an ideal balance where the strap was short enough for the camera to be tight on my body while being long enough to get the camera comfortably to my eye to take photos. I used this method on 4-week treks in the Himalayas, week long walks in the New Zealand and rainforest talks in Indonesia and never had a problems with it bouncing.

Appreciated. I figured there was a sweet spot to the 'dangle' length with it.

Optech is the great value move -- I have some of their other straps. I'm not in love with two things with it:

Feeding those thin little straps through my 5D3 eyelets takes longer than it does for me to file my taxes. Frustrating as hell, so it's a 'fight it on and leave it there forever' move that I cannot endorse. I often switch back to a vanilla camera strap for street/walkaround use and need unfettered/easy access to the eyelets.

And I haven't used your specific strap, but the one I used is somewhat slow and cumbersome to adjust, and fine adjustments on the fly are difficult.

It's well made, sturdy, functional and inexpensive, but it could be a lot slicker and faster.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ahsanford said:
mnclayshooter said:
I just got back from Yellowstone and used almost all of the above.

Good luck!

A+. Great feedback. Totally missed the BR Backpack Strap -- good add to the "potentials" list.

- A

I'm watching the videos on this now, and as much as this is a BlackRapid without putting a strap on top of another strap (it basically gives your standard BR sling functionality using things already on your backpack), can you possibly hook both clips on the shoulders and bring the camera tight-ish to the chest?

All I am seeing is one-high / one-low (like a sling) or both clipped on to the same shoulder strap like a simple dangling tether (like a surfboard leash). Can you go high-high on both shoulders?

- A

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
There are a lot of good straps out there, but do yourself a favor and at least look at Peak Design. There are a million threads here at CR alone that deal with this subject. Do a search and you'll quickly see that Peak Design has a very high level of support from fussy photographers working in all types of situations.
https://www.peakdesign.com/

-pw

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
pwp said:
There are a lot of good straps out there, but do yourself a favor and at least look at Peak Design. There are a million threads here at CR alone that deal with this subject. Do a search and you'll quickly see that Peak Design has a very high level of support from fussy photographers working in all types of situations.
https://www.peakdesign.com/

-pw

Peak's CapturePro is winning in my head right now. My only wildcard with Peak is no strap.

Love the shoulder holster idea, but I could drop my rig. Normally, I'm fine without a strap for quick stop and pop from a satchel on my side when I do a walkabout in town, but on a rocky trail, tired/sweaty/etc. possibly in the rain, etc. I do worry about balance and grip, so a belt-and-suspenders approach might not be a bad idea. I also don't want to sink $79 into the pro clip and then also have to buy their $30 hand strap if I can help it.

Thoughts?

- A

Upvote 0

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
I've used two of the solutions mentioned in this thread extensively. I like the Black Rapid strap for short or moderate hikes over level terrain without a large backpack. I find it comfortable, and very easy to get the camera from the carry to shoot position fast. I like the Cotton Carrier vest for longer hikes, technical terrain, or with a large backpack. I did about 60 miles of hiking at Glacier National Park with an overnight backpack and the cotton carrier with a 6D + 24-105L or 6D + 70-300L mounted to the vest the whole time. It was very stable and comfortable. I find it slightly slower to get the camera from the carry to shoot position with the Cotton Carrier vs. the BR strap. Good luck with your search.

Paul

Upvote 0
This summer I hiked about 250 miles of the Camino in northern Spain and also wanted quick access to my 5 D Mark III. I had a small backpack with snacks and rain gear and a small waist pack on my right with IPAD mini, filters, spare batteries and for the camera used a Bos strap and just set the camera with on my left hip in a Lowepro case left unzipped. I was able to adjust the straps on the case and Bos strap so it did not bounce around. It was a quick pull up from case, shoot and replace. The strap slides really easy. It rained several times and I just bought a waterproof cover from REI and would pull it over the entire case and would still undo that briefly to take photos in the rain and get the camera right back in. It was a lot less pressure on my back hanging on the side and I was freed up to use the hiking poles needed for all the hills. You can check out the strap on the BH website.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Optech sell short straps you can attach to the webbing on the rucksak strap and I believe Thinktank do as well.

https://optechusa.com/system-connectors/reporter-backpack.html

When trekking, I used to put the backpack on then lengthen the camera strap as long as possible, put it round my neck then put both arms through and shrug it backwards. The camera strap sat on the harness straps of the backpack, taking the weight off my neck/shoulders.
In poor weather I did the same with a holster bag and it hang over my chest so I could quickly put the camera away in case it started raining

Works well on my 6D for hiking. Taking the weight off the neck is really an pleasure, if you hike for some hours. To reduce further weight, I´ve mounted the Peak Design Anchor Links Upgrade Kit in all of my bodies. So, I can easily mount the camera belt off (if I use it with the 600mm lens). I also use the Peak Design Slide belt for carrying, as it is softer than Canon belts. But: the metallic belt clip has scratched the display of one of my bodies. So, you´ve to soften it a littlte bit with an fabric volume

Upvote 0