New ef 50mm 1.2 annoucement coming?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ok, definitely a micro-shred of evidence, if it can be called that, for some tenuous conjecture:

I've been watching the refurb in-stock numbers of the ef 50mm 1.2 L on Canon Price Watch. They pop up to roughly 60 left, drop down to about 50, then back up to 60. And CPW is showing a 10% discount code.

The ef 85mm 1.2 L II, on the other hand, came and went, as expected: A few dozen sold out quickly.

Is this some evidence of a pending announcement for the new 50mm 1.2? Is Canon trying to clear out their refurb stock? Do they have a higher than usual refurb stock for the lens?

Any potential buyers holding back to see what's coming?

I thought hard about getting a refurb myself, but then kept thinking I'd kick myself if the refresh comes soon.

Apr 16, 2013
YuengLinger said:
Ok, definitely a micro-shred of evidence, if it can be called that, for some tenuous conjecture:

I've been watching the refurb in-stock numbers of the ef 50mm 1.2 L on Canon Price Watch. They pop up to roughly 60 left, drop down to about 50, then back up to 60. And CPW is showing a 10% discount code.

The ef 85mm 1.2 L II, on the other hand, came and went, as expected: A few dozen sold out quickly.

Is this some evidence of a pending announcement for the new 50mm 1.2? Is Canon trying to clear out their refurb stock? Do they have a higher than usual refurb stock for the lens?

Any potential buyers holding back to see what's coming?

I thought hard about getting a refurb myself, but then kept thinking I'd kick myself if the refresh comes soon.

Keep dreaming, buddy. IMO, people are looking to the Sigma Art. ;) That's my speculation at least. I remember when the 50 1.2L used to fly off the refurb sales, esp when they were near the $1k price mark. Now not so much.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Where's your faith? Your enthusiasm? Go, Canon, go!!!
My faith? ???

In an interview, Mr. Maeda of Canon Inc. Japan responded because it took so much to offer low cost 4K cameras: "Because we are slow." :p

On the other hand, I believe that the replacement of Canon 50mm lens will be great. Just do not know what year they will come. ::)

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
YuengLinger said:
A 50mm 1.2 with the sharpness of the Sigma Art, and the dreaminess of the current 50L, plus no more focus shift...I think many who already bought the Sigma Art would trade it in.

And those who own the current 50L? The used market would be flooded!

The problem is the cause of the focus shift is also the cause of the dreaminess.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ruined said:
YuengLinger said:
A 50mm 1.2 with the sharpness of the Sigma Art, and the dreaminess of the current 50L, plus no more focus shift...I think many who already bought the Sigma Art would trade it in.

The problem is the cause of the focus shift is also the cause of the dreaminess.

Does this mean that a floating element, such as the one in the 85mm 1.2, would significantly change the character of the lens, not just fix the focus-shift?

Ok, just give me the IQ of the 85mm 1.2, but with some serious AF performance, and I'd still be happy.

I agree that a super-duper, sports-action 85 would be great, but right now I'm itching for 50mm. I'm covered at 35mm with that Sigma Art, getting by with my ef 50mm 1.4, and still quite content for portraiture and found still-lifes using the 85mm 1.2 L II.

I tried a 50 Art, had AF problems, and didn't like the "dark" nature of the images. Just seemed a bit harsh and gloomy.

A 50mm hole to fill...Is that asking too much?

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
YuengLinger said:
Ruined said:
YuengLinger said:

Does this mean that a floating element, such as the one in the 85mm 1.2, would significantly change the character of the lens, not just fix the focus-shift?

Yes. They purposely left uncorrected spherical aberration in the 50 1.2 in order to give it a similar dreamy look to the 50mm 1.0 despite the narrower aperture. The side effect of this is focus shift. This is not uncommon in fast portrait lenses.

Ok, just give me the IQ of the 85mm 1.2, but with some serious AF performance, and I'd still be happy.

I agree that a super-duper, sports-action 85 would be great, but right now I'm itching for 50mm. I'm covered at 35mm with that Sigma Art, getting by with my ef 50mm 1.4, and still quite content for portraiture and found still-lifes using the 85mm 1.2 L II.

I tried a 50 Art, had AF problems, and didn't like the "dark" nature of the images. Just seemed a bit harsh and gloomy.

A 50mm hole to fill...Is that asking too much?

Everything is a tradeoff. 85l has great IQ but is slow focusing and fragile due to the front/rear element design,.plus focus by wire.

Take the spherical aberration out of 50l and you will have less dreamy look and lose some of the magic. Make IQ perfect and you will have another clunky lens like the 85l or 50 1.0. I'd rather see a revision of the 85l to make it more like the 50 1.2 than the other way around. Not looking for a 85l sport lens, but one more durable (and faster) for events/oudoors. Focus shift not an issue for me because I usually shoot wide open, and if I dont I simply allow some distance or slightly front focus for proper dof. If you are not shooting wide open the 50mm f1.8 stm is not a bad choice despite it being cheap.

If you haven't tried the 50l 1.2 rent it. It really isn't that hard to master.

Upvote 0
I was desperately waiting for an equivalent of the EF 35 F2 IS, I would pay $800 for that.
I have tried the sigma 50 art for about four hours, some 500 shots, and I do not like it.
The pics have something really harsh about them, maybe I have to get used to it.
The autofocus of the sigma has been discussed many times, so let's leave it at that.
In short, the sigma is not an option for me, so I am waiting for a "high" end canon.
So, what is next in line for canon 50 mm?
If they produce something stellar (Zeiss Otus, with autofocus) at F1.4, even at mega bucks, I would probably buy it.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
wopbv4 said:
I was desperately waiting for an equivalent of the EF 35 F2 IS, I would pay $800 for that.
I have tried the sigma 50 art for about four hours, some 500 shots, and I do not like it.
The pics have something really harsh about them, maybe I have to get used to it.
The autofocus of the sigma has been discussed many times, so let's leave it at that.
In short, the sigma is not an option for me, so I am waiting for a "high" end canon.
If they produce something stellar (Zeiss Otus, with autofocus) at F1.4, even at mega bucks, I would probably buy it.

We know there is a patent that literally is the equivalent of the EF 35mm F/2 IS, specifically the EF 50 f/1.8mm IS. There are equivalent 85mm f/1.8 IS and 135 f/2.8 IS patents also, all similar optical formulas to the EF 35 f/2 IS.

Unfortunately they never released anything more than the 24/28/35 IS primes, probably because they already had the 50 STM lined up (need to give that some time to breathe) and the 85 1.8 is a good lens (though I'd love to see an IS option at that FL).

One thing I have not seen, is a 50mm f/1.4 IS patent. There are several 50mm f/1.4 patents, but none have IS. Perhaps Canon is trying to decide whether to launch a 50mm f/1.4 non-IS lens or a 50mm f/1.8 IS lens to replace the 50mm f/1.4 price point... I don't see both of them coexisting at $599.

Myself, I remain a huge fan of the 50mm f/1.2L. It has a quirk or two, but overall it is my favorite lens in the entire Canon lineup! Puts out magic similar to the 85mm f/1.2, but with a more flexible FL and none of the 85 1.2's numerous disadvantages that discourage shooting it outdoors or at events.

Upvote 0
Ruined said:
Myself, I remain a huge fan of the 50mm f/1.2L. It has a quirk or two, but overall it is my favorite lens in the entire Canon lineup! Puts out magic similar to the 85mm f/1.2, but with a more flexible FL and none of the 85 1.2's numerous disadvantages that discourage shooting it outdoors or at events.

I was playing with the 50L at a local beach with a Schneider Variable ND filter. The ND filter worked fine on the 70-200 at all strength levels, but on the 50L, it created haze at the stronger filter settings. At weaker filter settings (~3 stops), it was fine, but it definitely had lots of haze at the strongest setting (~8 stops). I'm guessing it has to do with the reduced sharpness of the 50L.

Upvote 0
Ruined said:
wopbv4 said:

We know there is a patent that literally is the equivalent of the EF 35mm F/2 IS, specifically the EF 50 f/1.8mm IS. There are equivalent 85mm f/1.8 IS and 135 f/2.8 IS patents also, all similar optical formulas to the EF 35 f/2 IS.

Unfortunately they never released anything more than the 24/28/35 IS primes, probably because they already had the 50 STM lined up (need to give that some time to breathe) and the 85 1.8 is a good lens (though I'd love to see an IS option at that FL).

One thing I have not seen, is a 50mm f/1.4 IS patent. There are several 50mm f/1.4 patents, but none have IS. Perhaps Canon is trying to decide whether to launch a 50mm f/1.4 non-IS lens or a 50mm f/1.8 IS lens to replace the 50mm f/1.4 price point... I don't see both of them coexisting at $599.

I've had two copies of the 50mm f1.2 L and I personally think it's the worst L prime in Canon's line up. It's intrinsically soft. Even stopped down it never sharpens to the gliddy levels of the other L primes. Wide open, yes it's dreamy...but the AF is inconsistent and slow. Quite frankly, it's a poor lens when compared to any of the other L primes. Sure it's the best '50 in Canon's line up. It's got great build, great colour and contrast, even wide open...but it's just not as sharp as lens of this caliber or price point should be. Compare it to am 85IIL, a 35L or a 135L and it gets spanked into the back corner.
At the moment there isn't a serious 50mm contended for the Canon mount. The 50mm f1.4 USM is very fragile and really not reliable in a professional context, the 50mm f1.2 L is the best of a bad bunch...and Sigma, well...lets not go there, except to say that I'm done with Sigma's AF reliability.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
GMCPhotographics said:
Ruined said:
wopbv4 said:

I've had two copies of the 50mm f1.2 L and I personally think it's the worst L prime in Canon's line up. It's intrinsically soft. Even stopped down it never sharpens to the gliddy levels of the other L primes. Wide open, yes it's dreamy...but the AF is inconsistent and slow. Quite frankly, it's a poor lens when compared to any of the other L primes. Sure it's the best '50 in Canon's line up. It's got great build, great colour and contrast, even wide open...but it's just not as sharp as lens of this caliber or price point should be. Compare it to am 85IIL, a 35L or a 135L and it gets spanked into the back corner.
At the moment there isn't a serious 50mm contended for the Canon mount. The 50mm f1.4 USM is very fragile and really not reliable in a professional context, the 50mm f1.2 L is the best of a bad bunch...and Sigma, well...lets not go there, except to say that I'm done with Sigma's AF reliability.

I agree completely. No excuses for the 50 L.

I found a working 50 Art, but it's my fifth Art lens. It is epic though.

Upvote 0
I am also awaiting an new 50mm, while the 1.4 USM does it´s Job for now, not that bad my Copy i think.

Often i found my 24-70 L II on 35mm, so the CR2(.5) 35mm 1.4 L II would be an Alternative, but bigger Step to the 135mm .

Canon lacks an 50mm witch is really interessting actually.

Sigma is not in my "Focus" .

We will see - Announcement on 14.Aug - that ist Today ! ;D

A few Day´s ago i bought an 100-400 L II - next Lens have to wait to regenerate my Bank Account ::) .

May other buy first and find the Mistakes - so i hope to do it right for me 8) .

Greetings Bernd

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've owned the 50mm 1.4 for a number of years (and the 50mm 1.8).
In the last few months I've added the 50mm 1.2.
Its a great lens. It focuses much better than the 85mm 1.2 L.
It renders a lovely out of focus.
I find it reasonably sharp at 50mm and very sharp stepped down.
I often agree with peoples criticisms of certain lens but other times I wonder if people blame the gear rather than lack of technique and skill. I'd be very surprised if the current 50mm 1.2L would limit your ability to take a great photograph.
I've never used the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art and its had great reviews.
I couldn't see how it could be much better than the 50mm 1.2L.
1.2 is very special.
I'd love to see a comparison of two 5D Mark III's with one with the 50mm 1.2L and one with 50mm 1.4 Sigma Art and a subject both at 1.4 and the Sigma being in any way producing a better photograph.
I've used the 50mm 1.2L alot over the last two months and its fantastic (and I've alot of good glass to compare it to).

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
GMCPhotographics said:
Ruined said:
wopbv4 said:

The 50 1.2 is a bit soft by design due to purposefully uncorrected spherical abberation, which also is what gives it the dreamy look and focus shift.

I would not say the 50 1.2 is the least reliable AF, that would go to the 24LII imo. My 24LII at 1.4 randomly front focused for no good reason 25% of the time and was spot on 75% of the time, this is very evident when looking at a burst of frames. Looking at reviews for the lens this is a common occurrenc

The 50 1.2 focus shift is not a big deal for me. First, if you shoot wide open there is no focus shift. Second, if you shoot at medium to long distance focus shift is not noticable. Thus the only time you have to compensate is shooting close stopped down. Canon could have increased the MFD to prevent this but I am glad they did not because 1.2 at close range looks very special with this lena.

The sharpness loss is a tradeoff for the extra dreamy look. You can't have both at a relatively wide 50mm focal length. I shoot mainly people so the dreamy look and draw is far more important than sharpness.

If you are going to shoot stopped down the 50 STM is cheap and good quality, might want to try that. Or, the 24-70 II. If a razor sharp lens is what you desire there are several existing options.

Upvote 0