Status
Not open for further replies.

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
Hi,
My previous post about getting a 7D or not had excellent response and I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge as if it were.

However, after scouring through the vastness that is the internets I found a worrying number of scam sites and other problems. I'd like to see a new forum for posting about dealer experiences. Maybe some sort of rating system + comments. Possibly divided into regions (i.e. EMEA, APAC, LAC etc).

What do you guys think?

Many times the old: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." holds true. I mean a 7D for 805eur (920USD), is an amazing deal. BUT.....

Links to scam sites removed by administrator

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
There is a web site that specializes in this called reseller ratings.com. I think that most with a question would go there. The Canon list of authorized resellers is incomplete and inaccurate, so its no help.

Unfortunately, scam stores advertise on google, and google takes their money happily and places their advertisements on this site. You can complain to Google by clicking the lower right corner of a advertisement.

http://www.resellerratings.com/ has a large database of complaints.

BTW, those who post links to scam sites may have their post removed to protect members, and if they know its a scam site and post anyway, they might be banned. Some of the sites apparently have a person who posts a link to their store as a good place to shop, and since I can't tell who is who, if this is a first post, its also the last.

Upvote 0
D

dwward

As you spend more time in this and other forums where serious photographers hang out, you will find that they all buy their gear at one of 3 places: Amazon, Adorama and B&H.

There are other favorite stores to be sure, but these three are the tried and true. They're authorized dealers with customer service beyond reproach and very competitive pricing.

My personal favorite is Amazon because I'm a prime member and they always have great prices. B&H and Adorama have huge inventories with incredible selection for just about anything you could imagine.

So, the regulars here (I am not one of them) know where they will buy their next piece of equipment even before they know what piece of equipment they will buy.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
I'm with dwward, I pretty much only trust B+H, Amazon, and Adorama, although I'll add to that list my preferred local photography store.

pjdavep also brings up an excellent point; why would you really want to buy from a non-authorized dealer? sure, what you want to do with your money is your choice but ... there are things that are worth gambling on, and then things that aren't.

in the end, most of the pricing decision is really dependent on Canon, so there's not a lot of variation amongst legitimate retailers for new canon gear. if you see a retailer with any significant deviation from the pricing of these industry-standard retailers, that should actually be a huge red flag instead of a huge thumbs up.

Upvote 0

K3nt

Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
Wow!
Yet again I am amazed by this community. Thank you (yes, even the moderator that removed the links. :))! I didn't know I shouldn't have posted those. I stand corrected.
From my research I've found, like other people already said, that there is very little variation in price between the real dealers and I am going to go with a good reputable source. It might cost me a few extra bucks, but I think the service and peace of mind is worth it.
I perused the resellerratings.com website and found it to be useful.
But now the decision is made, here's what I am getting:
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Body Only
Replacement Battery for Canon EOS 7D / 5D Mark II (LP-E6)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens
Lowepro Fastpack 200 (Black) DSLR Camera Backpack
Canon Speedlite 430EX II with Flash Diffuser

I think those should get me off to a nice start. Suggestions always accepted.. :)

Upvote 0
Wow thats a lot of gear. If I was buying that much in one go, I usually go into the physical store. If you get good service then you will probably go back and they will probably remember you.

I like the loyalty/goodwill factor, but it seems people care about this less these days. I tend to buy from the same store.

I've brought from B+H before and had shipped to New Zealand since its difficult to find Gitzo gear here. Wont be doing it again since the government has increased and has got stricter on charging GST/VAT on all imports over $400.

Upvote 0

K3nt

Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
I tried the local store. Never have I've been met with such disinterest. I asked them to put together a nice package deal for the whole set, and they took off a whopping 7USD (5eur) from the list price.
Needless to say. I won't be spending my money there.
The 5eur they did give me discount was off a _used_ 70-200mm lens. Everything else was list price.
I know that (legit) dealers don't have much maneuvering space with the prices, but surely 5eur can be beaten.

I then went shopping around and found some very nice deals from Amazon for example.

All in all the set will cost me around 3850eur. (Almost a 1000eur less than what the local dealer gave me). I would have settled for a smaller discount and gotten it from them but they just did not want to play ball, so... bye bye...

I have now ordered the gear and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I suspect all parts will be with me in the next 3-4 weeks. (I'm in no hurry.. :))

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
K3nt said:
I tried the local store. Never have I've been met with such disinterest. I asked them to put together a nice package deal for the whole set, and they took off a whopping 7USD (5eur) from the list price.
Needless to say. I won't be spending my money there.

I hear that a lot about stores in Europe, but I've also heard of some that give discounts. The same may be true in the USA, but many of them match web prices, or even beat them.

Upvote 0

K3nt

Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
It seems at least here in Finland all the local shops are in bed together. I found one that was willing to give me a nice package deal, unfortunately they couldn't match the mix 'n' match price I set up. I am now getting the stuff from three different suppliers and managed to get an excellent deal.
Total came to 3850eur (roughly 5000USD).
But I got ALOT of stuff for that.
1 Backpack
1 Canon 7D Body
1 Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
1 Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM II
1 Hoya UV-filter
1 Extra battery
1 Speedlite 430EX II
3 Books on photography and the 7D
1 Diffuser / Bouncer for the Flash
1 32GB Kingston Ultimate 600x CompactFlash card
1 Lexerd TrueVue Screen Protector set