New G PowerShot for Photokina [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that there will be at least one new “G” Powershot camera announced for Photokina in September. The likely candidates for a Mark II update would be the PowerShot G5 X and the PowerShot G9 X.</p>
<p>The “G” series of PowerShot cameras from Canon have been a sales success for the company, but nothing like the heyday of point & shoot digital cameras.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Aug 31, 2014
UK
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that there will be at least one new “G” Powershot camera announced for Photokina in September. The likely candidates for a Mark II update would be the PowerShot G5 X and the PowerShot G9 X.</p>
<p>The “G” series of PowerShot cameras from Canon have been a sales success for the company, but nothing like the heyday of point & shoot digital cameras.</p>
[/quote

I would merge the G3 lens with the G5 body, let's call it a G2x.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
The likely candidates for a Mark II update would be the PowerShot G5 X and the PowerShot G9 X.

That would be to soon. I mean those two are like new. The oldest one is the G1 X Mark II and I would like a Mark III. Maybe even a G17.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
veng said:
I'd gladly buy an update for my G9X as long they made it thinner or at least no thicker. It's great for events and occasions, that I can't take my DSLR.

Winner winner Chicken Dinner!

I've held off on buying the G9X in hopes of an updated model...(my S90 fills the bill for 'events and occasions, that I can't take my DSLR')...and will look carefully at the G9X II, especially if it remains oh-so-tiny and a bit improved in terms of image quality over the current model.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
mustafa said:
I've been predicting a G5 X MkII since the G7 X MkII came out. Similar enhancements would place it top of my wishlist as an all-day carry round. I did manage to canvass a senior Canon UK manager at this year's Photoshop at the NEC, but obviously he wasn't saying anything. My cash is waiting (but devaluing daily!).

THIS. THIS. THIS. Love that lil body. Needs decent battery life, a faster lens, and an update to the true M interface. Powershot UI is slow and the worst of all canon bodies in recent memory.

My 2c

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
ashmadux said:
mustafa said:
I've been predicting a G5 X MkII since the G7 X MkII came out. Similar enhancements would place it top of my wishlist as an all-day carry round. I did manage to canvass a senior Canon UK manager at this year's Photoshop at the NEC, but obviously he wasn't saying anything. My cash is waiting (but devaluing daily!).

THIS. THIS. THIS. Love that lil body. Needs decent battery life, a faster lens, and an update to the true M interface. Powershot UI is slow and the worst of all canon bodies in recent memory.

My 2c

The M3 and M10 switched from EOS to powershot firmware and my most used actions (switching modes, 'erase all files', AF->MF) all take both more clicks and time :(

Upvote 0
G3X is older than G5X and G9X, and the slow buffer and AF is even more of an issue at long telephoto range. It is also encountering stiff competition from Sony, Panasonic and (coming soon) Nikon. Why is it not prioritized for renewal? As it is, I'd consider a G5X or G9X if I were in a market for a compact camera; I did consider the G3X last year as my long option, but rejected it as it was just too slow to pursue anything, making the long range rather useless for me.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
AvTvM said:
f*ck those Powershots.
Stupid Canon, I want a decent HI-END EOS M.

And I'm about as interested in a high-end EOS M as I am in the neighbor cats digging up my garden.

I'm interested in a reasonably priced (i.e. under $500) reasonably good, reliable (i.e. won't pick up sensor dust or get the front lens protector squished) pocket camera to replace my Elph 500 HS. A G9x is close, but the zoom range is a little narrow and the size is a little large.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Canon Rumors said:

About 9yrs ago, my wife and I took a honeymoon trip to Hawaii with just Powershot SD800 ;)

Didn't even know what RAW Vs Jpeg at that time, just shoot, shoot and shoot ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• SD800.jpg
    SD800.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
Canon Rumors said:

How about a G1X3 with an APSC sensor and this lens http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-07-15

Upvote 0