Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>Coming, but perhaps delayed</strong>

Things are a bit chaotic in the lens world of Canon at the moment. The well known issues with manufacturing are probably the biggest reason why.</p>
<p>2011 should see 2 new L primes being announced (other than supertelephotos). It wasn’t mentioned to me which 2 lenses would see updates. The usual suspects are the 35L and 135L and I’ve heard some murmurs of a 50 f/1.2L II coming to market sooner than later.</p>
<p>I think this year is going to be a mess for lens announcements.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r </strong>

H

hmmm

Manufacturing Issues

Could you elaborate on the "well known" production issues at the new plant? Is this the plant that Canon started in Taiwan? What are the issues? The only thing I recall seeing is that because of the world financial situation, the plant was being brought up to speed more slowly than originally planned. Are there other problems as well? Just curious about the situation...

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Yes, and it would be a an excellent idea. They could save some weight by going 200 3.5 L IS too. Although I'd skip it because it would compete with my 70-200 IS II for duplicate focal length. And the 100 L macro I use is much more useful length for street candids and head and shoulder portraits.

traveller said:
Would it not be possible to replace both the 200mm f/2.8L USM and the 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, with a 200mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM?

Upvote 0
Norkusa said:
Finally. I've been holding out for a new 50mm 1.2L. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is nice but I NEED that extra 1/3 stop.

If you NEED it you should just buy the current one. I've owned mine for a year now and its great lens.

I assume if there is a 50mm MK II coming out, canon would improve the sharpness at 1.2-1.8 and increase the AF speed.

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't forget a sizable price increase too. Most new lenses that have come out recently have also come with pretty big price increases relative to the lens they were replacing.

I'm also curious about the production issues mentioned. I haven't heard anything about this.

Justin said:
Presumably Canon would not bother upgrading the lens without improvements. You would think they would work on flaring, CA, and corner sharpness at apertures wider than 2.8.

urkel said:
Wait. I just bought a 35L for $1300. I'm in my return window so is there something about the 35L that would make an update worth waiting for?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
urkel said:
Wait. I just bought a 35L for $1300. I'm in my return window so is there something about the 35L that would make an update worth waiting for?

Did you want/need the 35L? If so, then you absolutely did the right thing. Personally, I think the 35L is overdue for an update - I've pointed out before that every L-series prime lens of 100mm or shorter focal length, other than the 35L, has been either updated or newly released since 2006. Still, I bought a 35L earlier this month. If they really do come out with a MkII, I can always sell the one I've got and upgrade.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
urkel said:

Did you want/need the 35L? If so, then you absolutely did the right thing. Personally, I think the 35L is overdue for an update - I've pointed out before that every L-series prime lens of 100mm or shorter focal length, other than the 35L, has been either updated or newly released since 2006. Still, I bought a 35L earlier this month. If they really do come out with a MkII, I can always sell the one I've got and upgrade.

Just becuase it's old doesn't reduce it's effectiveness. Compare the 35L to the 50/1.2L and the 35L has faster focussing, it's sharper and renders beautifully smooth out of focus areas. Sure, it's got an older style of finish to it's outer casing and it's not weather sealed. But every thing else about this lens puts the 50mm to shame.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Well, he was asking about the good. :D The bad is, of course, the hefty price increase. The demand for this lens would be quite high and I'm sure Canon could command a $1999 price figure for the better part of a year during sell-throughs.

Isurus said:
Don't forget a sizable price increase too. Most new lenses that have come out recently have also come with pretty big price increases relative to the lens they were replacing.

I'm also curious about the production issues mentioned. I haven't heard anything about this.

Justin said:
Presumably Canon would not bother upgrading the lens without improvements. You would think they would work on flaring, CA, and corner sharpness at apertures wider than 2.8.

urkel said:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.