New Member with 5D MK III Streaks in Image

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
I am starting this for a new member who is unable to start a topic yet.

Here is his problem!

i got a canon 5d mark 3 and notice that on the photos it has funny purple marks/lines on them. If i take the same photo a number of times the purple mark is in different loacations

Here is what I advised him to do before posting.

The first and overwhelming response will be that your flash memory card is corrupted.

Are you using SD or CF or both?

Are you using raw or jpeg?

Are you using a card reader or usb cable to upload.

Can you see the marks on the Camera LCD?

Before posting, can you try a different memory card, use just one, a SD card that has had the low level format option would be good?

P

Pookie

I'm always a bit amazed at these types of posts. It like your having an issue with your car and desperately trying to describe a noise when you start or go around a curve. You'll spend days on a forum going back and forth with "did you do this..." or "Are you using this...". Then you'll end up taking it to a mechanic and have wasted 3-4 days on the internet.

In the end you'll either live with it or take it to CPS... so here is my advice. Return it if you can or send it in for repair... or live with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Pookie said:
I'm always a bit amazed at these types of posts. It like your having an issue with your car and desperately trying to describe a noise when you start or go around a curve. You'll spend days on a forum going back and forth with "did you do this..." or "Are you using this...". Then you'll end up taking it to a mechanic and have wasted 3-4 days on the internet.

In the end you'll either live with it or take it to CPS... so here is my advice. Return it if you can or send it in for repair... or live with it.

I was wondering what it was, and to make sure it get fixed correctly. It hard to explain it over the phone. Is there a way of remove these automatically in lightroom instead of doing it manual in photoshop?

Upvote 0
Crayfordmedia said:
I have tried 2 different compact flash cards and 2 sd cards (1 brand new)

I have tried 3 different cards readers including a built in one, and also a 1 brand new one.

I been using jpeg.

The purple marks are not in the same place.

not in the same place frame to frame, as on the rear screen?

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
Crayfordmedia said:
I have tried 2 different compact flash cards and 2 sd cards (1 brand new)

I have tried 3 different cards readers including a built in one, and also a 1 brand new one.

I been using jpeg.

The purple marks are not in the same place.

not in the same place frame to frame, as on the rear screen?

it not in the same place frame to frame and i dont know if it on the rear screen

Upvote 0
tcmatthews said:
What are you trying to take a picture of? Is it on the other side of glass? Is it under what lighting. I only ask because it looks like a computer or TV screen if so then the polarization film on the screen could cause these effects.

not matter if i take a photo of a rally car or hockey players, the marks are them? i took the photo of it zoom in so people can see it better.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Crayfordmedia.
Rather than take a photo of the screen with all the artefacts that creates and then ask us about a specific artefact which we cannot see in the perfect storm this creates, how about just take a screenshot using the pc and post that, then we might be able to see what you mean. Also check the camera rear screen for the artefact, if it is not there it is being added during transfer.

How do I take a screenshot?
https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/windows.html

Cheers, Graham.

Crayfordmedia said:
tcmatthews said:
What are you trying to take a picture of? Is it on the other side of glass? Is it under what lighting. I only ask because it looks like a computer or TV screen if so then the polarization film on the screen could cause these effects.

not matter if i take a photo of a rally car or hockey players, the marks are them? i took the photo of it zoom in so people can see it better.

Upvote 0
I was going to make the same suggestion. You should also mention software being used to view the image. I have seen strange artifacts related to image scaling in the past. It is also good practice to reset the camera to factory default.

Valvebounce said:
Hi Crayfordmedia.
Rather than take a photo of the screen with all the artefacts that creates and then ask us about a specific artefact which we cannot see in the perfect storm this creates, how about just take a screenshot using the pc and post that, then we might be able to see what you mean. Also check the camera rear screen for the artefact, if it is not there it is being added during transfer.

How do I take a screenshot?
https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/windows.html

Cheers, Graham.

Crayfordmedia said:
tcmatthews said:

Upvote 0
This happen to both the lens i have.

Now seems to been happening to most of the photos, when it normally take me 3 hours to sort out photos it seems to have double and putting me behind of getting photos online,

Could a senor clean help? if it the bugs how can this be remove? Will it come up when you print the images?

I never had this happen before with my canon 350d or canon50d, it seems odd that it happening on a canon 5d mark3,

I first notice this in lightroom, and when i check in photoshop and using the default photo viewer,

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'd suggest uploading the photos themselves. Reduce them to 1920 X 1920 or smaller using your photo editing software.

This could be something as simple as some bugs in the rear glass of your lens that move between photos. I've seen that happen.

+1

Personally I'd also like a look at one RAW frame as well. There are ways of looking at them that can hint at what the underlying problem might be.

Nothing artistic, just something with an offending blotch, a link is probably the way to go.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The best way you help yourself is to walk outside , take some photos and post them here so we could look at it. Multiple photos to see if it actually moves or not. The example so far and your comments are not helping me understand how the issues arises and how it impacts. We'd all be delighted to help if you could give good examples and clear explanations. Please ensure the back of your lens is clean.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Hector1970 said:
The best way you help yourself is to walk outside , take some photos and post them here so we could look at it. Multiple photos to see if it actually moves or not. The example so far and your comments are not helping me understand how the issues arises and how it impacts. We'd all be delighted to help if you could give good examples and clear explanations. Please ensure the back of your lens is clean.

Doubt he'll take your good advice. I think this is bizarre on purpose. I'm cynical!

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
I agree with Mt Spokane. It looks like it could be some physical debris, or a bug or something physically inside the camera or lens.

I assume you've tried several lenses, also cleaned the sensor?

Providing a real image instead of a screenshot would definitely be a good start.

I have two lens for this camera, and notice it on lens, and check the other and now notice it a bit more.

Hector1970 said:

Sorry, i finding it a bit hard to explain this by text, I took a load of photos on Sunday and upload some tonight and I will check the back of both lens are clean.

How to remove bugs from inside the lens or camera?

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
If you are referring to the dark blotches, such as the ones about an inch above the person's left eye in the photo, then you may have debris trapped behind the shutter. If so, try performing a manual cleaning using a bulb-type air blower, like this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/259157-REG/Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower.html

See page 299 in the 5D Mark III manual on how to start a Manual Sensor Cleaning. It locks up the mirror and opens the shutter, so you can use the blower. You can download the manual here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-5d-mark-iii

You may need to hold the camera so that the lens opening is facing down (e.g. above your head, so you can see what you're doing), so that any debris falls out.

Here's a simple how-to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RefeiMAC4c0

Attachments

• IMG_0465_edited.jpg
    IMG_0465_edited.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 778
Upvote 0