New patents for Canon fast primes

John Thomas

EOS 90D
Sep 23, 2011
102
0
asceticexperience.com

J.R.

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 13, 2013
1,749
0
60mm f/1 :eek: :eek:

You made me check the link ... it's 60mm f/1.8.

The link mentions that the patent is for cine / video lenses but most interestingly, doesn't mention whether or not the lenses have IS.

John Thomas said:
It seems that some high quality fast prime lenses (50mm f/1.2, 50mm f/1.4 - there is also an 45mm f/1.6 and a 60mm f/1.8) are in the pipeline at Canon. I am not sure though (from translation) that they are EF lenses. See at

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2013-03-29

The original source: http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-03-29
 

John Thomas

EOS 90D
Sep 23, 2011
102
0
asceticexperience.com
J.R. said:
60mm f/1 :eek: :eek:

You made me check the link ... it's 60mm f/1.8.

The link mentions that the patent is for cine / video lenses but most interestingly, doesn't mention whether or not the lenses have IS.

John Thomas said:
It seems that some high quality fast prime lenses (50mm f/1.2, 50mm f/1.4 - there is also an 45mm f/1.6 and a 60mm f/1.8) are in the pipeline at Canon. I am not sure though (from translation) that they are EF lenses. See at

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2013-03-29

The original source: http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-03-29

:) ...it wasn't intended. I wrote 60 mm f/1.8 and after that Closing Parenthesis.
 

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
2,816
35
Patents do not guarnatee production. Sometimes they are done to hold IP.
 

mb66energy

EOS R
Dec 18, 2011
1,405
280
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
RGF said:
Patents do not guarnatee production. Sometimes they are done to hold IP.
Shure, but these patents show typical lens designs which penetrate the market since a few years: Standard lenses with a negative front element. This is well known from wide angle lenses for (D)SLRs which use retrofocus designs to give enough space between last lens and image plane.

If I read the patent correctly Canon has decided to use a retrofocus design instead of a double gaussian design to avoid problems with longitudinal CAs: The retrofocus design gives more variability to introduce more lenses/alternative lens geometries to adress longitudinal CA correction without compromising other parameters.

Longitudinal CAs are the main problem with high aperture lenses which aren't easily removed during post processing - I am shure that these patents have a good chance to flow into real products!

Just my 2ct - Best, Michael
 

Dylan777

EOS-1D X Mark III
Nov 17, 2011
5,515
7
J.R. said:
60mm f/1 :eek: :eek:

You made me check the link ... it's 60mm f/1.8.

The link mentions that the patent is for cine / video lenses but most interestingly, doesn't mention whether or not the lenses have IS.

John Thomas said:
It seems that some high quality fast prime lenses (50mm f/1.2, 50mm f/1.4 - there is also an 45mm f/1.6 and a 60mm f/1.8) are in the pipeline at Canon. I am not sure though (from translation) that they are EF lenses. See at

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2013-03-29

The original source: http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-03-29
+1...he got me too
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,645
2,159
Wasn't really him, the forum software automatically replaces an 8 followed by a ) with 8) . Even though I know this from experience, it still gets me sometimes (usually with lenses having a max aperture of f/2.8). See what I mean? ;)
 

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
2,816
35
mb66energy said:
RGF said:
Patents do not guarnatee production. Sometimes they are done to hold IP.
Shure, but these patents show typical lens designs which penetrate the market since a few years: Standard lenses with a negative front element. This is well known from wide angle lenses for (D)SLRs which use retrofocus designs to give enough space between last lens and image plane.

If I read the patent correctly Canon has decided to use a retrofocus design instead of a double gaussian design to avoid problems with longitudinal CAs: The retrofocus design gives more variability to introduce more lenses/alternative lens geometries to adress longitudinal CA correction without compromising other parameters.

Longitudinal CAs are the main problem with high aperture lenses which aren't easily removed during post processing - I am shure that these patents have a good chance to flow into real products!

Just my 2ct - Best, Michael
Michael

Thanks for the information. My knowledge of optics is limited but in my professional carrier (now retired) I worked with two many lawyers :-[
 

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
1,382
0
mb66energy said:
RGF said:
Patents do not guarnatee production. Sometimes they are done to hold IP.
Shure, but these patents show typical lens designs which penetrate the market since a few years: Standard lenses with a negative front element. This is well known from wide angle lenses for (D)SLRs which use retrofocus designs to give enough space between last lens and image plane.

If I read the patent correctly Canon has decided to use a retrofocus design instead of a double gaussian design to avoid problems with longitudinal CAs: The retrofocus design gives more variability to introduce more lenses/alternative lens geometries to adress longitudinal CA correction without compromising other parameters.

Longitudinal CAs are the main problem with high aperture lenses which aren't easily removed during post processing - I am shure that these patents have a good chance to flow into real products!

Just my 2ct - Best, Michael
Which is also what Zeiss announced a while back, with their 50mm f/1.4 Distagon (Distagon is their retrofocus, normally found in 21-35mm, or 40-65mm on Medium Format).
Either canon's going down the same path, or they're at least going to patent some to block zeiss.