Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/new-powershots-for-cp-no-dslrs/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/new-powershots-for-cp-no-dslrs/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>New PowerShots for CP+

</strong>The next photo gear show is CP+ in Tokyo, which runs from January 31 until February 3, 2013. We’re probably only going to see new PowerShots announced from Canon.</p>
<ul>
<li>IXUS 610</li>
<li>IXUS 110</li>
<li>IXUS 90F</li>
</ul>
<p>Not really the excitement we were hoping for, although it was expected.</p>
<p>The <em>could</em> announce the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x officially too, which we’d all really like so we can stop talking about it.</p>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://digicame-info.com/2013/01/cp-3.html" target="_blank">DCI</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I hope they launch a new DSLR before the end of March. The 60D is going to be out 3 years before being updated otherwise.

10D, 20D, 30D = 18 months

40D = 12 months

50D = 18 months

60D = 36 months????

Maybe Canon has hit the wall & are designing / have designed a smaller fabbed sensor; but need someone to make it. (sort of like how Nikon designed the D5200 sensor, but had toshiba make it).

I assume Canon can't make it because I've read nothing about them building new fabs. (though I suppose the old one could be retrofit, but I'd think that would make the news).

They better hurry up though, because otherwise Nikon's going to pull ahead in the consumer market w/ the D5200. No matter how true the "Megapixel Myth" may be, the majority of casual consumers who want to just step into a Rebel or x0D+, model is going to think the Nikon is 33.33333333333333333% better for the same $$$ w/ 24MP.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
coreyhkh said:
Canon is really stupid they should lunch the 7D mk2 before Nikon lunches the D400.
we'd LIKE a 7d2 now
but whoever blinks first and intro's their product lets their competitor have an opportunity to release something better which will affect them for the next few years.
I suspect Nikon will have to play their card first. The D400 is grossly overdue but if it is as relatively good as the D800 was they won't have much to worry about until the next update in a few years.

Brock said:
They better hurry up though, because otherwise Nikon's going to pull ahead in the consumer market w/ the D5200. No matter how true the "Megapixel Myth" may be, the majority of casual consumers who want to just step into a Rebel or x0D+, model is going to think the Nikon is 33.33333333333333333% better for the same $$$ w/ 24MP.

That's also true, timing is likely more competitive in the prosumer market than consumer market where new products are introduced much more quickly.
D5200 is no workhorse from what I can tell but it already has IQ that blows away anything Canon's released yet in the crop sensor arena. Gives FF a good run too.
So in this case, those 33% more MP do equate to more imaging power. Not that the vast majority of users will ever notice with how they use their images.

Upvote 0
coreyhkh said:
Canon is really stupid they should lunch the 7D mk2 before Nikon lunches the D400.

Quite the opposite: It's smart to have the competition show their cards first, then design a Canon version that is produced as cheap as possible, sold as expensive as possible while keeping some marketing joker (like the af sensitivity of the 6d).

Canon market research most probably has shown that old school dslr users are very slow to change brand, and because they're late in the tech race Canon won't be able to stop early adopters anyway ("I want high mp and dr now").

So after a Nikon announcement they have 2-3 month time to cook up something for themselves, which probably will be the 70d = 60d + wifi + gps + touchscreen + afma + fw gimmicks for a start....

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
coreyhkh said:

Quite the opposite: It's smart to have the competition show their cards first, then design a Canon version that is produced as cheap as possible, sold as expensive as possible while keeping some marketing joker (like the af sensitivity of the 6d).

Canon market research most probably has shown that old school dslr users are very slow to change brand, and because they're late in the tech race Canon won't be able to stop early adopters anyway ("I want high mp and dr now").

So after a Nikon announcement they have 2-3 month time to cook up something for themselves, which probably will be the 70d = 60d + wifi + gps + touchscreen + afma + fw gimmicks for a start....

The camera is so slow to design that the reaction happens in the next generation, a couple of years down the road. The only reaction after the other camp has shown their cards is to choose your price. Which you can also do if you released your camera a few months earlier.

From their previous record with firmware updates that add functionality or correct severe problems, even thinking that they could add AFMA in less than 3-6 months is optimistic (and again: you can do that with a firmware update).

I see no downside to being first to market: you set a high price and skim the upper part of the market while you're the only guy in town, then you bring the price down if you must when the competition arrives.

Upvote 0
I think Canon should release 70D with the new fab sensor, WITHOUT telling anyone that it is new. Just to test the waters. :) (probably not possible, as people will dissect the camera anyway). But if they released it as 18 mp, swivel touch screen, AFMA, WiFi/GPS etc, they could try to pass it as the 650D sensor...claiming new algorithms or whatnot that explains the better DR/ISO.

Then the 7D mk2 comes along with the new sensor, more MP and trumpets! (well, one can imagine) :)

Well, in my opinion, 70D should go back to 30/40/50D format (no swivel screen, and reintroduce magnesium build and AFMA. WiFi/GPS would be nice too). Basically be a 7D classic, but new. (like the 6D is for 5D mk2)

Upvote 0
CanNotYet said:
I think Canon should release 70D with the new fab sensor, WITHOUT telling anyone that it is new. Just to test the waters. :) (probably not possible, as people will dissect the camera anyway). But if they released it as 18 mp, swivel touch screen, AFMA, WiFi/GPS etc, they could try to pass it as the 650D sensor...claiming new algorithms or whatnot that explains the better DR/ISO.

Then the 7D mk2 comes along with the new sensor, more MP and trumpets! (well, one can imagine) :)

Well, in my opinion, 70D should go back to 30/40/50D format (no swivel screen, and reintroduce magnesium build and AFMA. WiFi/GPS would be nice too). Basically be a 7D classic, but new. (like the 6D is for 5D mk2)

The 70D will definitely be torn apart considering how long it took to come to market. iFixit, Chipworks, Roger Clark, DXOMark, etc..

I think that the future X0D line will all be tilt/swivel screens. They're not fully weather sealed, so there's no need to have it flat to the back like the pro cameras. The demographic it's for are enthusiasts, but will want consumer features like tilt/swivel for video & touchscreen for ease of use.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.