New Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM OS Sport Finally Coming Ahead of Photokina

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>The <a href="https://photorumors.com/2018/04/17/new-sigma-70-200mm-f-2-8-lens-rumored-to-be-announced-for-photokina-in-september/">latest report</a> says that the long rumoured Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM OS Sport series lens will finally make an appearance ahead of Photokina, which takes place in September of 2018.</p>
<p>At least <a href="https://photorumors.com/2016/05/18/latest-patents-sigma-70-200mm-f2-8-dg-os-hsm-sports-canon-mirrorless-lenses-and-more/">one patent for a new 70-200mm f/2.8</a> optical formula from Sigma exists.</p>
<p>We’ve also been told in the past that the 70-200mm f/2.8 OS Sport could be announced alongside a 70-200mm f/4 OS contemporary lens.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

With Canon apparently joining the mirrorless future, and recent leaks pointing to a new lens mount, it really casts a doubt over any new lens purchases. If you NEED the lens now, because it makes you money, that makes sense. Just be aware your $1500, or however much this lens will cost, which previously could be partially recovered 5-10 years from now by selling the lens, are now at the mercy of Canon's "really nice solution" for pairing old EF lenses with the new mount. Also, since this is a third party lens, there is no guarantee of compatibility whatsoever with the "really nice solution", or the mirrorless camera itself, from both a hardware and software standpoint.

<start flame war>As someone with a relatively limited but decent Canon kit, but who has been saving for new L glass, I'm seriously considering selling it off now and switching to Sony or Nikon, while I can still get the most for my gear.</flame war continues to rage for eons>

Upvote 0
<continue flame war>
It won't be long until Canon starts selling lenses with native FE mount
</continue flame war>

If Canon decides to alienate 3rd party lens users by adding DRM / encryption, users will have a choice of replacing lenses, replacing bodies, or just not upgrading. Canon would soon become a 3rd party lens manufacturer for Sony.

Upvote 0
victorshikhman said:
With Canon apparently joining the mirrorless future, and recent leaks pointing to a new lens mount, it really casts a doubt over any new lens purchases.

I don't see why this is an issue. Canon's current mirrorless bodies work well with their EF/EF-S lens lineup, as well as 3rd party EF/EF-S mount lenses. Yea, you need an adapter but I have yet to experience any issues. I see no reason why Canon wouldn't provide us a similar adapter for the new mount or prevent 3rd party lenses from working.

Upvote 0
victorshikhman said:
With Canon apparently joining the mirrorless future, and recent leaks pointing to a new lens mount, it really casts a doubt over any new lens purchases. If you NEED the lens now, because it makes you money, that makes sense. Just be aware your $1500, or however much this lens will cost, which previously could be partially recovered 5-10 years from now by selling the lens, are now at the mercy of Canon's "really nice solution" for pairing old EF lenses with the new mount. Also, since this is a third party lens, there is no guarantee of compatibility whatsoever with the "really nice solution", or the mirrorless camera itself, from both a hardware and software standpoint.

<start flame war>As someone with a relatively limited but decent Canon kit, but who has been saving for new L glass, I'm seriously considering selling it off now and switching to Sony or Nikon, while I can still get the most for my gear.</flame war continues to rage for eons>

I'd be more concerned buying into the Nikon system.
A.) So how much more advanced is Nikon's high end ILC mirrorless camera lineup, exactly? How would Nikon make you safer than Canon in your scenario above?
B.). Nikon has largely given up developing its own high end sensors, and has entrusted that critical development over to their competitor, Sony, to handle for them. How safe is that? In 4-5 years, after Nikon's own sensor development capacity has fully atrophied, and they have no new cutting edge sensor patents in the pipeline. Won't Sony then turn around and devour Nikon? Refuse to sell them their best sensors? Now that would be a scary thing to think about if you were invested in a lot of Nikon glass, yes?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
maxfactor9933 said:
I am canon shooter. never gonna buy a sigma zoom lens again. I tried few. AF is frustrating with new canon bodies.
spent hours with the dock station and AFMA. still not satisfied.
sadly the new Tamron G2 70-200 is not sharp at 200mm 2.8
I wanted a second 70-200 for my second body. I guess I have to steak with canon

On the bright side, the Canon 70-200 2.8 remains an excellent lens and is the cheapest first-party by far.

Upvote 0