New Sigma instant rebates on select lenses, including the ART series

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Ronkonkoma, NY – May 9, 2019 – Sigma Corporation of America, a leading still photo and cinema lens, camera, flash and accessory manufacturer, is celebrating Mother’s Day with a special promotion, offering incredible savings on 11 Global Vision Art and Contemporary lenses and its Mount Converter. Renowned for its uncompromising performance, Sigma’s Art and Contemporary lenses and Mount Converter help the family storyteller capture the magic moments. Sigma Ambassador, Meg Loeks, comments on the artistry and significance in the every day, “I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to document my family’s story. The little things really are the big things and capturing these every day moments is...

Continue reading...

Mar 25, 2011
Everyone is hurting for sales and try to tempt buyers with sales. They really get hurt when they plan for a production level that is much greater than sales.

Canon has lowered production and stated that they do not plan on steep discounts for the rest of the year, but I expect to see them in any event on some products. Canon really needs mirrorless models to take off, they are throwing everything at it, so that may be where we see good deals as they try to gain traction. If they are successful, it hurts Sigma because they have no true RF compatible models.

Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
I would actually not even consider a Sigma lens due to their overall sub-par rendering (although they tend to be very sharp wide open and have a soft bokeh), but the fact that Canon's RF glass is so expensive opens up a gap for them...
I see that Canon is really aiming at the professional market with most of their RF glass - people who are willing to pay those high prices; while seeing that consumers will no longer continue to bring the bulk of money into the entire segment of their enterprise.
The pros will have to pay more for what they get and I hope it will lift Canon into producing high quality stuff like we now see on the RF lens lineup. I'm especially looking forward to Canon lifting their sensor technology along with their great new glass.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I tried the 18-35 at B&H and wasn't impressed compared to Canon's 16-35 F4. It was pretty dark and I found the Canon's IS gave me cleaner images handheld than the Sigma. The Canon's AF was almost instantaneous, while the Sigma kind of dialed in. This is a good price, tho... Choices, choices...

Given the fact, that Sigma 18-35 is an APS-S (Crop Sensor) lens although mannufactured in Canon EF (not EF-S) mount, images taken with a Canon FF cameras and the lens, would feature a massive vigneting across the entire zoom range but the 35mm end. AF speed would be also largely messed up in result.
Sigma 18-35 is a F1.8 (T2.0), two full stops faster than the Canon lens you are referring to. I hope it explains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I had a 18-35 for my crop body. It was just OK. It was best when focused with DPAF where it was reasonably fast and right on. Considering they sold for $600 more or less with dock each Christmas, its not a bad deal. I also tried it with my R but did not have a use for it except to play with it before I sold it and my APS C body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I tried the 18-35 at B&H and wasn't impressed compared to Canon's 16-35 F4. It was pretty dark and I found the Canon's IS gave me cleaner images handheld than the Sigma. The Canon's AF was almost instantaneous, while the Sigma kind of dialed in. This is a good price, tho... Choices, choices...
I rented the Sigma 18-35mm several years ago for a vacation trip - Legoland in Carlsbad, California, then a few days later, the PIMA Air & Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona. Very pleased overall with the results (paired to a EOS 40D). I would agree with you on the focus hunting though - at least in certain circumstances. Image quality though was outstanding. And that f/1.8 pretty handy, especially inside buildings...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0