New to photography.

A little project for you: Learn 30 things in 30 days. Anything from your camera, to settings, to composition to the basics of photography, just 15-30min online per day will greatly broaden your knowledge.

I would also recommend finding a mentor, be it at a club or through other means. I'm the type of guy who sometimes needs practical demonstrations of what theory suggests and when you have a mentor who can explain things through their own experiences, you will benefit.

Your gear should be determined by your prefered genres. Don't go buy a macro lens if 8/10 people recommend it if you have zero desire to shoot macro.
Buy your gear with intention and on the back of hours of research. Your kit bag should satisfy you.

I hope you find immense joy and satisfaction with your photography journey. Enjoy%!

Upvote 0
Pookie said:
The problem here are BS comments from forum "pros" that can't summon the courage to show their own portfolio... these individuals comments are as worthless as a 3 dollar bill and should be treated as such. This is what I think was meant by saying "Never take photography advice from people whose pictures you haven't seen".

This is exactly what I meant! Thanks for your comments Pookie!

Upvote 0
cervantes said:
Pookie said:
The problem here are BS comments from forum "pros" that can't summon the courage to show their own portfolio... these individuals comments are as worthless as a 3 dollar bill and should be treated as such. This is what I think was meant by saying "Never take photography advice from people whose pictures you haven't seen".

This is exactly what I meant! Thanks for your comments Pookie!

LOL! Once you have been on CR for a while, you'll realize that Pookie and cervantes are great photographers who put their portfolios where their mouth is. They do great work and have great advice.

And I'm getting a kick out of their "R. Lee Emory" drill sergeant approach of challenging everyone to 'put up or shut up'! "Drop and give me 50 (images), maggot!!" LOL! :D

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think Pookie's comments are asinine.

To suggest that only somebody 'better' than somebody else at something can offer worthwhile advice is the very definition of asinine, where would Usain Bolt be without Glen Mills (who never had a competitive race and withdrew from 'competition' at 13)? Does that mean the only coach of an NFL team has to have been a Superbowl winning player? How about AF settings advice from Rudy Winston or Chuck Westfall? Farcical.........

Further, to demand to see portfolio images flies in the very face of this style of forum, time and experience is offered for free, the posters pay nothing for that time and advice so to demand anything seems a strange turn around to me. Opinion are like arseholes, everybody has one and they got them for free, take the free advice at the value you paid for it, then come back in a year or so and see who gave the advice that played out with your personal situation and circumstances, there will be a few standouts.

As for 'forum 'pros'' I think their words speak volumes, but most of them, like me, have posted hundreds if not thousands of illustrative images to go to help clarify their posts. Personally I am only interested in posting helpful and relevant images that people might find interesting for any number of reasons, including the mistakes (intentional or not) that I make in them. I am not interested in posting images to massage my own ego, I find that a particularly pathetic attempt at self congratulation from the pro shooters here, this is predominantly an amateur forum and if, as a pro, you can't shoot, pose and light 'better' (an entirely subjective term) pictures than most of the non professionals on a consistent basis you are a jerk.

As for making mistakes, I am not too proud or up my own butt to admit I have made the occasional snafu or brain fart, invariably when I have and it is brought to my attention I will edit the post to reflect that and apologise, I would hate to think I was imparting incorrect knowledge, some two studio pros around here are not quite as humble. Indeed I know one who gave the most awful and incorrect piece of advice about lighting out there, "if you move a light source back it will become softer"! Despite that fundamental error being pointed out to them they didn't acknowledge the slip, I hate that kind of behaviour, totally disrespectful, factually wrong, and now a continuing source of misinformation.

Another thing I find strange but don't obsess or get bent out of shape about, pros professing to having two studios yet without their own true website, Smugmug and Flickr pages really are third string for working pros, or how about the ones that profess all the experience of a long career and show their portfolios but they date back just a year or so? Or how about idiots that suggest a fisheye lens as a suitable lens for serious consistent portrait work?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
takesome1 said:
slclick said:
takesome1 said:
When does the title "Forum Pro" kick in. I would like to negotiate that contract.
I would like to make the transition from unpaid amature to paid pro.

It might be tougher than getting an SNL 5 times host jacket.

How about 4 1/16

Oh you're good, well, at least current ;)

Upvote 0
slclick said:
takesome1 said:
slclick said:
takesome1 said:
When does the title "Forum Pro" kick in. I would like to negotiate that contract.
I would like to make the transition from unpaid amature to paid pro.

It might be tougher than getting an SNL 5 times host jacket.

How about 4 1/16

Oh you're good, well, at least current ;)

I hope that is considered when my application to turn pro is reviewed. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
takesome1 said:
Pookie said:
This is my biggest peeves here on this site... there are quite a few here that are "forum" experts and when you ask to see an actual portfolio they claim privacy issues. Some even say they teach but can't show any work. It's a big reasons I will show you an image first before going into why a particular piece of equipment is good/bad/ok with real world examples. I am a working photographer and I do use the equipment I give advice on, I didn't just do a google search and spew technical info at you.

I've never meet a single professional or hobbyist photographer that refuses to show a portfolio. NEVER. Even if they keep a private personal port they always have secondary ports to show their work. This should be the litmus test for most here. There is a reason why having 10k posts earns you the name "CR Geek" not a photographer.

Showing your portfolio is great and I do it on other sites.
But this is a tough group that are often hostile.
Showing it to this crowd is just opening yourself up to abuse.
Even if you demonstrate the point you are making your picture will be picked and torn apart for every other reason the group can find.

I would not worry about it. When was the last time any of those harsh critics demonstrated what they preach by posting their photos? The rest of the forum members are on to them so they know who is just bluster.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
All I will say about the forum is it has helped me a lot, I was a noob not too long ago and it takes a little while, but you will soon work out who's info you are happy to trust, who's you don't, and then there are those that post info that you mostly don't trust but once in a while they will have a real gem for us.
Once you figure that lot out this place s great. Also the picture related forums (at least the few that I frequent) are very friendly, sometimes too friendly, sometimes I'd like to be told a picture is not very good, it helps one to improve providing the critic explains why.

Hopefully you are still here and we haven't scared you away with all the info provided.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
takesome1 said:
Pookie said:
This is my biggest peeves here on this site... there are quite a few here that are "forum" experts and when you ask to see an actual portfolio they claim privacy issues. Some even say they teach but can't show any work. It's a big reasons I will show you an image first before going into why a particular piece of equipment is good/bad/ok with real world examples. I am a working photographer and I do use the equipment I give advice on, I didn't just do a google search and spew technical info at you.

I've never meet a single professional or hobbyist photographer that refuses to show a portfolio. NEVER. Even if they keep a private personal port they always have secondary ports to show their work. This should be the litmus test for most here. There is a reason why having 10k posts earns you the name "CR Geek" not a photographer.

Showing your portfolio is great and I do it on other sites.
But this is a tough group that are often hostile.
Showing it to this crowd is just opening yourself up to abuse.
Even if you demonstrate the point you are making your picture will be picked and torn apart for every other reason the group can find.

I would not worry about it. When was the last time any of those harsh critics demonstrated what they preach by posting their photos? The rest of the forum members are on to them so they know who is just bluster.

Actually quite often. Most of the time their pictures lack quality and merit and of course since they are so annoying it makes it feel like an obligation to critique their examples. In some ways it is like returning a favor.

Upvote 0
cervantes said:
There is just one thing I'd like to tell you:

Never take photography advice from people whos pictures you haven't seen.

Yeah I'm actually checking photographers from my country who got in competitions and won. I'm contacting them and they gave me great advice's like not to buy new gear or lenses. They also told me to avoid clubs that tell me to upgrade my gear. I also feel like not to upgrade ATM.

RustyTheGeek said:
Please share with us how you are doing. It's a favorite topic here to see how people improve, progress and learn.
I was going to photograph today but the weather was dusty. Soon as I start shooting I will share my photos.

daaningrid said:
hey salooh i learned pretty much everything i know about photography on the internet you can find tutorials about everything some people i follow are dave dugdale , matt granger, chase jarvis, dslr video shooter ,dslrguide,film riot,glenn bartley,griffin hammond,jared polin,karl taylor,mike browne,neumann films,the snap chick,tony northrup some of those have gone a little quiet but

and for gear i would buy the 18-135 is stm for a starter it is way better than the 18-55 and then see what you would like to have more
Awesome list! Will check them out. Thank's.

Again I'd like to thank everybody who replied. Will update you guys with my photos 8)

Upvote 0
THIS. (Is why I adore Nevada Wier and I feel blessed to have discovered her in 2009 right after I jumped back into serious DSLR photography.)

https://nevadawier.wordpress.com/2016/02/25/damnation-this-travel-photography-is-hard/

In many respects, I was in the same place the OP is in now. I had a little gear and a lot of passion and excitement to shoot, learn and grow.

Read and Enjoy!

Upvote 0
I have got to say that I took two courses in Photoshop and one Photography Work Shop in the beginning of my Photographer career, but had big regrets. They often cost a lot and don´t offer the specific information you are seeking. Often such courses are to gain money, since the internet offers a wide range of research opportunities nowadays it is pretty easy to get a good overview. Also YouTube offers a lot of Tutorials, I would say for the beginning this is enough to improve your skills.

Upvote 0