New Type of Camera Coming from Canon Ahead of Photokina [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We continue to hear murmurs about a new style of camera coming from Canon ahead of Photokina.</p>
<p>We have touched on this in the past and continue to see mentions of it in our inbox. The problem is we’re not hearing about it from known sources, but what we’re being told doesn’t seem to be wishlist type of stuff that we get from time to time.</p>
<p>A couple of people have said the new camera is video oriented, but will also be a “capable stills shooter” and come with an EF mount. The camera will technically be a “mirrorless” camera, but it won’t be part of the EOS M lineup.</p>
<p>This could just be the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/a-new-style-of-camera-from-canon-currently-being-tested-cr2/">XC style camera with an EF mount</a>, or it could be something else.</p>
<p>2018 has been a difficult year so far when it comes to confirming information, but a lot of what we’re being told from unknown people all seems to be pointing in the same direction.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm wondering about that patent we saw for a light field camera last week. It was called out as being a quad pixel patent, but it was actually a light field camera.

That would certainly qualify as something totally new, no one has made a light field camera using dual or quad pixels.

you're reading too much into it. Most of canon's patent applications dealing with phase difference at the sub pixel (dual or quad) refer to it as light field data.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
canonnews said:
I'm wondering about that patent we saw for a light field camera last week. It was called out as being a quad pixel patent, but it was actually a light field camera.

That would certainly qualify as something totally new, no one has made a light field camera using dual or quad pixels.

you're reading too much into it. Most of canon's patent applications dealing with phase difference at the sub pixel (dual or quad) refer to it as light field data.

I'm guessing we are years away from a Canon branded light field camera. For something that significant, I would expect there would be a series of development announcements, stockholder presentations, promotional videos, etc., before anything ever hits the shelves. It's also likely that we will see a gradual, incremental incorporation of the technology into the existing lineup rather than a completely new camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
canonnews said:

Perhaps, I am not saying this is it, but putting it out for discussion. I can certainly be wrong. There are multiple references in the patent to refocus processing. Of course, that can be done now with a 5D MK IV to a very limited extent, so it could just be a extension of that capability to a quad pixel sensor.

Certainly, the primary virtue of the patent is stated as a supressed file size, but, thats also what is needed to make a light field camera practical.

Usually, they do not just toss stuff in a patent unless it serves a purpose. Refocus techniques are definitely discussed.

* I think this is a broad hint that it could be applied to a light field camera:

"[0003] Ren Ng et al, "Light Field Photography with a
Hand-Held Plenoptic Camera", Stanford Tech Report CTSR
2005 February , 2005 Apr. 20) discloses a refocus technique
in which the in-focus position of the captured image is
changed after shooting by using LF data to combine images
in an imaging plane (virtual imaging plane) different from
that at the time of shooting."

* The patent describes the formation of multiple images with different focus points by combining the
images captured from various combinations of pixels. This is how a light field camera could work.

"0150 The embodiments above described a case in which
the present invention was applied to the generation of an
image file containing parallax images. However, the present
invention can also be applied to the generation of an image
file containing other images having a relationship between a
portion and the whole, as with parallax images and a normal
image, or a relationship in which one image is generated
from another."

* The Patent discusses another aspect of a light field camera.

"14. The electronic device according to claim 11, wherein
the image processing includes at least one of refocus processing,
viewpoint changing processing, defocus map generation
processing, and three-dimensional image generation
processing."

(Claim 11 referenced above should be read with claim 14 above in mind) I read it as the possibility of creating interpolated images as needed to construct a refocused image.

"[0011] According to a further aspect of the present invention,
there is provided a method for controlling an image
processing apparatus, comprising: obtaining data of one or
more of a plurality of first images; obtaining data of a second
image corresponding to a combined image of the plurality of
first images; and generating an image file containing the data
of the second image and data of a portion of the plurality of
first images, wherein the image file is generated such that the
image file does not contain data of, among the plurality of
first images, a first image that can be generated from a first
image and the second image stored in the image file."

The big question is how you could get adequate refocus processing over more than a tiny distance, which is a problem for me with my 5D MK IV.

Although it is not mentioned, a quad pixel processor allows for autofocus in both landscape and portrait orientations, a potential benefit.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don Haines said:
unfocused said:
canonnews said:

I'm guessing we are years away from a Canon branded light field camera. For something that significant, I would expect there would be a series of development announcements, stockholder presentations, promotional videos, etc., before anything ever hits the shelves. It's also likely that we will see a gradual, incremental incorporation of the technology into the existing lineup rather than a completely new camera.

Normally, you would be right.... but Canon found a super programmer who has written and debugged all the code to make it possible, and the code runs on a Digic4! Apparently, all that Canon had to do was trade a helicopter for the coding work....

You may recall the story that Canon told about development of the dual pixel sensor where they formed a team with experts from across the company. Canon is a large company with some extremely talented people.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
unfocused said:
canonnews said:

Never heard of any such event. But what do I know...

Upvote 0
I've often thought Canon should have tried something new with their first big sensor mirrorless. Anyone else consider they might be releasing a crop Medium Format sensor? It solves the issues with forcing a customer base to buy a new set of lenses, as no one would expect to shoot medium format on 35mm lenses. Also, the mirrorless MF camera just makes sense. If you are going to throw away the mirror box you'll get the most benefits from the losing the larger mirrors. That said those shooting MF will likely be more resistant to losing their OVF than those shooting 35mm, but as Canon has no foothold in the market maybe it's a good time to define it. Also I can't imagine this would be a huge market, but odder things have happened. Full disclosure I don't honestly think this is Canon's direction (mostly due to the Hybrid O-EVF rumored), just another thought to get people's minds spinning.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
unfocused said:
It's a large sensor interchangeable lens cell phone, Harry Film Edition. Comes packaged with Fairy Dust and delivered by your own personal flying unicorn.

Let's not exaggerate. We all know that the flying unicorns remain corporate property and you can only ace them through a monthly subscription.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
sanj said:
unfocused said:
..For something that significant, I would expect there would be a series of development announcements, stockholder presentations, promotional videos, etc., before anything ever hits the shelves...

Never heard of any such event. But what do I know...

Canon has released a number of videos in recent years highlighting it's development work in extreme low-light (I recall one in particular which was entirely lit by fireflies)...the 120 mp APS-H sensor and another industry/corporate presentation several years back (and featured on this site) with a high resolution, superzoom camera that basically had a backpack attached...are just a few.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don Haines said:
unfocused said:

Normally, you would be right.... but Canon found a super programmer who has written and debugged all the code to make it possible, and the code runs on a Digic4! Apparently, all that Canon had to do was trade a helicopter for the coding work....

Ahh yes...I forgot about him. Perhaps this is the special surprise he promised to reveal a couple of weeks ago. Let me guess, his overlords found out he was going to give it away and started throwing furniture, so now he's under a non-disclosure agreement.

Upvote 0
canonnews said:

Perhaps, I am not saying this is it, but putting it out for discussion. I can certainly be wrong. There are multiple references in the patent to refocus processing. Of course, that can be done now with a 5D MK IV to a very limited extent, so it could just be a extension of that capability to a quad pixel sensor.

You missed my point. Canon has basically called any dual pixel sensor data to quad pixel data lightfield data, because it all contains spacial information. it's their patent-ty word for basically a depth map.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:
unfocused said:

Ahh yes...I forgot about him. Perhaps this is the special surprise he promised to reveal a couple of weeks ago. Let me guess, his overlords found out he was going to give it away and started throwing furniture, so now he's under a non-disclosure agreement.

---

Overlord was not just throwing chairs...broke his hand on said chair AFTER punching it! ... Like I said, the NEXT announcement is going to be a DOOOOOZIE!!!!

Hmmm....do I want the ALL-GREY leather flight seats for the 429, or should I go for the tan and black trim triple stitched leather??? Do I spent extra for the Nightvision IFR system? What to choose....what to choose.......

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
canonnews said:
canonnews said:

You missed my point. Canon has basically called any dual pixel sensor data to quad pixel data lightfield data, because it all contains spacial information. it's their patent-ty word for basically a depth map.

I did not miss your point, the terms light field and refocus are commonly used in dozens, if not hundreds of recent patents, often with respect to microlenses and autofocus technology.

I doubt if we will ever see a product, I have no use for a lightfield camera, but then, I've said things like that before and had to eat my words.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
It's a large sensor interchangeable lens cell phone, Harry Film Edition. Comes packaged with Fairy Dust and delivered by your own personal flying unicorn.

===

COMING SOON FROM CANON:

1) Canon APS-C sensor DCI 4K 60 fps Smartphone. Yes.

2) Canon APS-C sensor DCI 4K 60 fps Smartphone. Yup and YES!

3) Canon APS-C sensor DCI 4K 60 fps Smartphone. Oh Yeaaaahhhh Babeee!!!!

4) Canon VERY LARGE SENSOR Medium Format
16-bits per channel 8192 x 6144 pixel (50 mpxl)
25 fps burst mode JPEG-2000/RAW stills camera
in oversize 1DxMk2 body with full-sensor
downsample to DCI 4k 10-bit 4:2:2 60 fps video !!!

--- KA-POOOOOWWWW !!!!

--- Phase-One, Hasselblad, Leica downed in Triple KO !!!!

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
I read "new style" to mean a new form factor. And while I can't think of specific model names, it seems to me radically new camera form factors don't have a history of doing very well. Maybe that's why, for all it's tech innovations, Sony went with what's basically a 1970s SLR form factor for the Alphas. Just because you re-do the insides, doesn't mean you need a completely new and "futuristic" body design.

Upvote 0