Next official EF-M Lens

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
AvTvM said:
1. EOS M cameras need a build in viewfinder.............................Um, no it doesn't. EVF-DC1 is fine
2. Fast EF-M primes are minority program. Not urgent................Yes urgent. Needed for low light.
3. Compact EF-M lenses are a priority.......................................We already have those.
4 only lens missing is EF-M 80/2.4 IS STM................................See Haydn's response

Macro? EF-S 60:2.8 + adapter. Got it, works nicely.
50mm lens? EF 50/1.8 STM + adapter. Got it, works nicely.
UWA? EF-M 10-20! Best APS-c zoom lens on the market. Optically excellent, durt cheap and compact. got it, works nicely. No need whatsoever for a 10mm prime!

I bought the adapter with the original M. I like that I have it. I very rarely use it. I don't want to use it. I bought into this system for size and IQ. I need fast primes because I want to shoot in available light. I don't want to carry the adapter or a flash. I want any primes I buy for this system to be fast because I only want to buy them once. One day, and I don't know when that day will arrive, Canon is going to release a really good enthusiast version with this mount. If your needs are different, fine. But you are not speaking for all of us...

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
1. EOS M cameras need a build in viewfinder.

Regarding built in EVF I also disagree. Part of the appeal of the EOS M, M10 and M2 is the small size. An EVF would undoubtedly add some bulk. I think the shape and size is spot on for these bodies. They can fit into a large or medium jacket pocket.

Maybe the M3 and M4 could have one since that seems to be aiming at a more enthusiast level.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Zv said:
AvTvM said:
1. EOS M cameras need a build in viewfinder.
Regarding built in EVF I also disagree. Part of the appeal of the EOS M, M10 and M2 is the small size. An EVF would undoubtedly add some bulk. I think the shape and size is spot on for these bodies. They can fit into a large or medium jacket pocket.
Maybe the M3 and M4 could have one since that seems to be aiming at a more enthusiast level.

M3 is not much smaller than Sony A6000/63000 ... EVF fits into a small package, if done right.
Konowing Canon, there will be lower end models galore without EVF for the next 10 years to come. No need to worry about models without EVF. ;D

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
crashpc said:
Haydn: 70-400mm looks usable to me. It would be nice to have native sharp 50mm f/1.6 IS STM

not needed. EF 50/1.8 STM via adapter does the trick nicely. Dead sharp. Dirt cheap. Best focus drive for mirrorless. Very compact on EOS-M even with adapter.

Only EF-M lens really missing is a short tele - EF-M 80mm/2.4 IS STM, as compact as posible and as optically good as 22/2.0 please.
No, my 50 f/1.4 wide open on my M is dead sharp. :-! Some say sharpest piece they have seen to date...
In fact, it wouldn't have to be big lens. The front element it pretty deep in there, and the adapter is making it even larger. 1.6 version could be clearly smaller than 1.8 STM with adapter, and with IS, it would really be quite tempting offer.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Current list of Canon EF-M patents...

Zooms
9-18mm f4.0-5.6
10-20mm f4.0-5.6
16-120mm f3.5-5.6
18-40mm f4.0-5.6 - Pancake
18-55mm f4.0-8.0 - Pancake
18-200mm f3.5-6.3
22-46mm f3.5-5.6 - Pancake
55-290mm f/4.5-6.3
55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
70-400mm f4.5-7.2

Primes
55mm f3.5 Macro
600mm f5.6 DO

Just talk of Canon EF-M lenses
18mm f2.0
35mm f1.8

Anymore to add ?

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Haydn1971 said:
- UWA something like a 10/11mm prime (16/17mm)
- WA 15mm (24mm)
- standard 22mm we have (35mm)
- a fast standard 32/35mm (50/56mm)
- a short tele to give a FF focal length in the 80-100mm range

Completely agree with a set of "standard" or "common" primes needed for the system. The adapter talk is fun for playing around, but is no replacement for a dedicated lens lineup. This is even more true when you look at the competition.

As for the integrated EVF, fine that some may not like/need/want one. However some of us like to shoot through a viewfinder. I don't think anyone is suggesting there can't be an M model that is ultra compact (and EVF-less) like the original M or the M10, just put a model out that includes one.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Luds34 said:
Completely agree with a set of "standard" or "common" primes needed for the system. The adapter talk is fun for playing around, but is no replacement for a dedicated lens lineup. This is even more true when you look at the competition.

Two things persuaded me to stay with the EOS-M, firstly I like the option to use the adapter with my EF lenses, even just for a play... Second, and perhaps critical is the sheer cost of primes on the Fuji range, I was looking at lenses that were going to cost more than the equivalent Canon model for FF ! Once you head down that route, the Fuji size benifits don't add up anymore either

Luds34 said:
As for the integrated EVF, fine that some may not like/need/want one. However some of us like to shoot through a viewfinder. I don't think anyone is suggesting there can't be an M model that is ultra compact (and EVF-less) like the original M or the M10, just put a model out that includes one.

Agreed totally, the use of the rear screen feels odd after using the DSLR, but oddly natural after using an iPhone camera or similar - having an EVF would be a good option for the larger and more costlier EOS-M range - we have two in the market at once now, there will be room for a third high end model, but it needs the fast primes !

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I will not buy fast EF-M primes. If I buy expensive lenses, they gotta be for FF image circle. Most ridiculous is Fuji, where people are buying f/1.2 crop lenses for 1 grand and more. Me, I am smarter and buy f/1.8 lenses for FF instead, like the compact and decent 50/1.8 STM ... and use them on crop as well. :)

For EF-M all I want is a native short/portrait tele like an EF-M 80mm/2.4 STM IS ... as small as possible, optically as good as the 22/2.0 and similarly cheap. No interest in anything else.

If however, Canon *ever* comes up with a great FF MILC, then I'll purchase more expensive FF glass for it. But I am not going to spend big bucks on APS-C lenses.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I will not buy fast EF-M primes. If I buy expensive lenses, they gotta be for FF image circle. Most ridiculous is Fuji, where people are buying f/1.2 crop lenses for 1 grand and more. Me, I am smarter and buy f/1.8 lenses for FF instead, like the compact and decent 50/1.8 STM ... and use them on crop as well. :)

For EF-M all I want is a native short/portrait tele like an EF-M 80mm/2.4 STM IS ... as small as possible, optically as good as the 22/2.0 and similarly cheap. No interest in anything else.

If however, Canon *ever* comes up with a great FF MILC, then I'll purchase more expensive FF glass for it. But I am not going to spend big bucks on APS-C lenses.

I kinda agree I also want cheap and small primes but I recognize that others might want something else. I guess what would please everyone is a nice variety of cheap f2 primes and less cheap f1.4 primes for the M so we can decide for ourselves. Right now we have zippo except the 22mm which comes free with every M purchase!

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Zv said:
I would really like an EF-M version of the 17-55 F/2.8 IS USM. I used to own the EF-S one and it was awesome. That would be something, eh? Really want constant aperture zooms. I'd probably even take an f/4 version if they made it though I'd want more range instead. Maybe a 15-70 F/4, kind of like a mini 24-105L.

Both of those lenses would certainly be extremely useful, but they would be quite large (relatively speaking). I want Canon to simply give us some version of the trinity with an UWA thrown in. My vote would be for:

EF-M 14 f/2
EF-M 38 f/1.8 IS
EF-M 65 f/2.4 IS with macro

I am not a lens designer, but I believe these lenses could be manufactured to Canon's high IQ standard while remaining reasonably compact. Put a lens in each pocket and you're ready to go.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Current list of Canon EF-M patents...

Zooms
9-18mm f4.0-5.6
10-20mm f4.0-5.6
16-80mm f2.0-6.0
16-120mm f3.5-5.6
18-40mm f4.0-5.6 - Pancake
18-55mm f4.0-8.0 - Pancake
18-200mm f3.5-6.3
22-46mm f3.5-5.6 - Pancake
55-290mm f/4.5-6.3
55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
70-400mm f4.5-7.2

Primes
55mm f3.5 Macro
600mm f5.6 DO

Just talk of Canon EF-M lenses
18mm f2.0
35mm f1.8

Anymore to add ?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
Instead of all those futile lens patents I'sd rather have Canon come up with an EOS M4 body that is up to par with Sony A6300. Waste of research resources.

As always, you know better than Canon how Canon should invest Canon's resources. ::) ::) ::)

yes, I do. Canon is a pretty stupid company.

Upvote 0