Nikon Confirms New Mirrorless System Coming in Early 2019, What About Canon?

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
9,256
2,028
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A <a href="https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/30/nikon-new-mirrorless-camera-will-be-brought-to-market-by-next-spring.aspx/">Nikon representative confirmed that their new mirrorless system</a> will be coming by spring of 2019 (<a href="https://youtu.be/M0qYXY3jPG8?t=1111">video here</a>). We’ll assume this new mirrorless system is going to be full frame, and perhaps an APS-C little brother as well.</p>
<p>So what about Canon?</p>
<p>We know there are various bodies in testing and at various stages of development, though we’re pretty confident that a hard date for an announcement has not been determined as of yet. It’s speculated around the web that both Nikon and Canon will make some kind of announcement for a full frame mirrorless camera at Photokina in September.</p>
<p>If Nikon is saying their new system will be coming some time in early 2019, I don’t think they’ll be doing an official product announcement at Photokina, and it’s more likely we’ll get some kind of  a “development” announcement. I think there’s a high probability Canon does a similar thing at Photokina. I will say however, we’e never been told about a “development announcement” before they happen. People don’t like announcements and then having to wait 6 months to buy the product, we’ve seen that in the past with Canon and it’s not good for anyone.</p>
<p>I don’t think it matters to Canon or Nikon who is first out of the gate with a full frame mirrorless camera. Both companies obviously have a very loyal customer base and both will be going right at Sony. If both companies make comparable products to Sony feature-set wise, they’ll both easily take a large chunk full frame mirrorless marketshare rather quickly. The one caveat to that will be how F and EF mount lenses fit into the picture.</p>
<p>Lots more to come…</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
 

Ryananthony

EOS RP
Nov 7, 2015
498
2
I feel bad for anyone using Canon or Nikon, who want a FF mirrorless. This is proving to take a while.
 

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
199
73
Canon and Nikon just need to make their mirrorless compatible with existing lenses. Sony is toast.
 

Aaron D

Hey!
Jul 21, 2016
273
265
Kansas City
www.aarondougherty.com
Oh man, really? "The one caveat to that will be how F and EF mount lenses fit into the picture."

Why throw red meat to the blog-o-warriors? Is it really necessary to poke at the Big Sore Spot, or is it out of fear the topic has been exhausted finally and there really is nothing to get outraged about?
 

keithcooper

EOS RP
CR Pro
See the actual video

It's briefly mentioned 18:30 into this report from CP+ (so hardly news)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0qYXY3jPG8&feature=youtu.be

The screen shot was put up by yet-another-new-rumor-site but with no link to the video - this seems to have been picked up all over the place, but with no context (N has mentioned its mirrorless aims before) and absolutely no detail ;-)
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
9,256
2,028
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Aaron D said:
Oh man, really? "The one caveat to that will be how F and EF mount lenses fit into the picture."

Why throw red meat to the blog-o-warriors? Is it really necessary to poke at the Big Sore Spot, or is it out of fear the topic has been exhausted finally and there really is nothing to get outraged about?

Lots of people continue to ask me about this, so it's important.
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
9,256
2,028
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Re: See the actual video

keithcooper said:
It's briefly mentioned 18:30 into this report from CP+ (so hardly news)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0qYXY3jPG8&feature=youtu.be

The screen shot was put up by yet-another-new-rumor-site but with no link to the video - this seems to have been picked up all over the place, but with no context (N has mentioned its mirrorless aims before) and absolutely no detail ;-)

Well, the video was posted 3 days ago.... I added a link to it.

People continuously ask me about this topic, so they tend to miss posts on the site and consider this new information.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
16,694
1,652
I think that Nikon had to mention the new camera to stop people from moving to Canon and Sony. Canon's M series is doing very well, Nikon may be losing lots of APS-C customers to them.

Its also possible that Canon is planning a development announcement and Nikon wanted to be first. I think that both companies want to create a buildup of anticipation, so look for teasers as the summer arrives.
 

jayphotoworks

EOS RP
Aug 11, 2016
262
108
It does appear from some of the rumors that the new Nikon mirrorless system might be using a new Z-mount and an adapter for its existing F mount lenses. Still waiting to see how Canon responds.

If mirrorless is the eventual replacement of analog DSLRs (so to speak), and Canon does in fact introduce a new mount, how will Canon determine its roadmap for existing shooters? Will they eventually also produce a set of pro 2.8 zooms for the new mount, while continually developing mark III, IV, etc. versions of the existing EF mount zooms?

If Canon, staying true to its conservative nature felt that mirrorless was up to their standards, would that mean that they may even replace its lower end models like the XXD line by making them mirrorless entirely while keeping mirrors in the 5D and 1DX for pros?

Interesting times indeed.
 

keithcooper

EOS RP
CR Pro
Re: See the actual video

Canon Rumors said:
keithcooper said:
It's briefly mentioned 18:30 into this report from CP+ (so hardly news)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0qYXY3jPG8&feature=youtu.be

The screen shot was put up by yet-another-new-rumor-site but with no link to the video - this seems to have been picked up all over the place, but with no context (N has mentioned its mirrorless aims before) and absolutely no detail ;-)

Well, the video was posted 3 days ago.... I added a link to it.

People continuously ask me about this topic, so they tend to miss posts on the site and consider this new information.

Early yesterday, there were few links to the actual video, just a screen grab. Needs seeing in context to see how little is said ;-)
 

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
83
56
Denmark
jayphotoworks said:
...If mirrorless is the eventual replacement of analog DSLRs (so to speak), and Canon does in fact introduce a new mount, how will Canon determine its roadmap for existing shooters? Will they eventually also produce a set of pro 2.8 zooms for the new mount, while continually developing mark III, IV, etc. versions of the existing EF mount zooms?

If Canon, staying true to its conservative nature felt that mirrorless was up to their standards, would that mean that they may even replace its lower end models like the XXD line by making them mirrorless entirely while keeping mirrors in the 5D and 1DX for pros?
Interesting times indeed.

Spot on!
Personally I am not into mirrorless for the moment. But I Canon skip the EF mount, as native mount for prosumer and prof. cameras - then a lot of photographers will be left at a dead end, as when Canon went from FD to EF mount.
I simply don'nt understand why mirrorless i a prosumer/prof. camera will require a new mount. In that segment cameras need to have some size to have prober ergonomics especially with large tele lenses and other prof (and heavy) zoomlenses.
 

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
2,104
395
Vancouver, BC
MartinF. said:
Spot on!
Personally I am not into mirrorless for the moment. But I Canon skip the EF mount, as native mount for prosumer and prof. cameras - then a lot of photographers will be left at a dead end, as when Canon went from FD to EF mount.
I simply don'nt understand why mirrorless i a prosumer/prof. camera will require a new mount. In that segment cameras need to have some size to have prober ergonomics especially with large tele lenses and other prof (and heavy) zoomlenses.

Canon (or anyone else) will not be able to sign me on to a new lens mount if it means the kind of things that Sony FE lenses has brought to the table:

- All focus by wire and less tactile
- Way more expensive
- Often longer
- Significantly smaller throat, yet same diameter front elements

For me a new lens mount would only be interesting if:

- Pro lenses are still be mechanical, grab and twist focus not requiring battery/power to MF
- Faster autofocus

These would be nice but not determinative, for me:
- Genuinely smaller or lighter
- Better image stabilization
- Some long telephoto optical formula required a short flange distance

There's literally nothing else I care to have in a lens. I really like, for example, the AF speed of the 18-135 nano usm. If you could have that AF speed in dual pixel AND be able to manually grab and MF -- I'd say yes to a new lens mount. But I think that's a pipe dream, and if I had to pick, I'd still take mechanical MF over nano USM AF speed.
 

JoSto

I'm New Here
May 1, 2017
23
5
Austria
www.instagram.com
If they dump the EF-mount I would be happy because I can then buy loads of cheap, old EF lenses.

I have zero motivation to adapt to a different mount. If I wanted to sell off my EF-Lenses I would have gone to Sony a long time ago. Modern professional cameras made after 2010 (like my 1dx) are by far good enough for any job.

In gerneral, I think dumping the EF and F mount would be a big mistake for Nikon and Canon. Why stay with them when you have to buy new lenses instead. Lets go to Sony then.
 

fullstop

EOS R
Apr 23, 2018
1,088
153
Unfortunately, additional details are still scarce. According to the latest rumors, the new lens mount will be called the Z-mount and come with an external diameter of 49mm and a flange focal distance of 16mm.

oO - Nikon might be repeating Sony's mistake on lens mount parameters. If true, then still fairly narrow throat combined with very short FFD.
 

jasny

EOS M50
Sep 23, 2014
48
0
Talys said:
For me a new lens mount would only be interesting if:

- Pro lenses are still be mechanical, grab and twist focus not requiring battery/power to MF

In mirrorless you will always need a battery to focus manually. To power EVF or LCD...
 

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
83
56
Denmark
JoSto said:
If they dump the EF-mount I would be happy because I can then buy loads of cheap, old EF lenses.

I have zero motivation to adapt to a different mount. If I wanted to sell off my EF-Lenses I would have gone to Sony a long time ago. Modern professional cameras made after 2010 (like my 1dx) are by far good enough for any job.

In gerneral, I think dumping the EF and F mount would be a big mistake for Nikon and Canon. Why stay with them when you have to buy new lenses instead. Lets go to Sony then.

So true
 

glness

EOS M50
Feb 23, 2015
34
5
www.flickr.com
I was going to buy a couple of the more expensive "L" EF lenses this next month, but until the uncertainty around this issue is cleared up, I'm not buying anything. I have no expectations what will be announced or when, but until I can get undisputed information on Canon's mirrorless offerings, it seems a less-than-optimal time to make a buying decision on upper-end bodies or lenses. I would think Nikon users would feel the same.
 

gmon750

EOS 90D
CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
128
82
Ryananthony said:
I feel bad for anyone using Canon or Nikon, who want a FF mirrorless. This is proving to take a while.

Oh please. I'm happy and patiently waiting to see what Canon comes up with. You're making it sound our dSLR's are suddenly inoperable and no longer useful. Mirrorless offers INCREMENTAL improvements, and not the end-all-be-all of anything prior. I'm ready to buy a 5DM4 to complement my 5DM3, but since I'm in no rush, I and many others are fine with waiting. We're not like other people that have to have their 15-minute attention-span fulfilled with the next shiny gadget.

I'm happy to see folks like Sony coming in, making their mistakes, and putting out a new camera every year while Canon is making sure their offering is baked right out the gate.
 

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
2,104
395
Vancouver, BC
jasny said:
Talys said:
For me a new lens mount would only be interesting if:

- Pro lenses are still be mechanical, grab and twist focus not requiring battery/power to MF

In mirrorless you will always need a battery to focus manually. To power EVF or LCD...

Untrue. If I know my subject is close, at 10m, 25m, or infinity, I can simply MF there without ever looking at the LCD or viewfinder. This way, when I am looking through the VF, I can actually see the subject. Plus. The AF will be much faster.