Nikon D4 Specs Revealed? 1D X Has Competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
Over at Nikonrumors.com there is now a rumoured spec list for the DX:

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/11/nikon-d4-specs-16-2mp-11-fps-102400-native-iso-xqd-memory-card.aspx/

The list generally seems to look plausible (copy and paste from Nikonrumors post linked above):

• 16.2 MP
  • 11 fps
  • 100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800
  • CF + XQD memory card slots! That's right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.
  • Compatible with the new Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter
  • Integrated Ethernet in the camera
  • Face detection/recognition function that will be working in the viewfinder (maybe some type of a hybrid viewfinder? Nikon had several related patents)
  • Improved video, I have no other details on that but my guess is 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24 similar to the Nikon D800
  • Uncompressed video out through the HDMI port
  • Ability to assign the two buttons on the front of the camera to smooth aperture control during video recording
  • Improved 51 AF points
  • AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)
  • Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8

Winners over the 1Dx seem to be one more stop of native ISO range (102400) and autofocus to f/8. Fps and resolution are really a wash between the two.

In interesting question in my mind is whether having XQD would give first mover advantage or disadvantage. Firstly, the cards are not on the market, and secondly their reliability and performance is as-ye unknown. - Sounds a bit risky for a flagship product.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/nikon-d4-specs-revealed-1d-x-has-competition/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/nikon-d4-specs-revealed-1d-x-has-competition/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/nikon-d4-specs-revealed-1d-x-has-competition/"></a></div>
<p><strong>*DISCLAIMER

</strong><em>Yes, this is Canon Rumors, but a new D4 probably matters to a lot people that require cameras like the D4 and 1D X.</em></p>
<p><strong>The 1D X to have competition soon?

</strong>Nikon Rumors has posted specs of an upcoming D4. They claim it’ll be announced before CES/PMA in January. The 1D X is no longer alone.</p>
<p>Don’t expect a quick to market product, I’m not sure you can even buy XQD cards yet!</p>
<ul>
<li>16.2 MP</li>
<li>11 fps</li>
<li>100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800</li>
<li>CF + XQD memory card slots! That’s right, the Nikon D4 will have the new Compact Flash XQD memory card slot.</li>
<li>Compatible with the new Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter</li>
<li>Integrated Ethernet in the camera</li>
<li>Face detection/recognition function that will be working in the viewfinder (maybe some type of a hybrid viewfinder? Nikon had several related patents)</li>
<li>Improved video, I have no other details on that but my guess is 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24 similar to the Nikon D800</li>
<li>Uncompressed video out through the HDMI port</li>
<li>Ability to assign the two buttons on the front of the camera to smooth aperture control during video recording</li>
<li>Improved 51 AF points</li>
<li>AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)</li>
<li>Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Source: <a href="http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/11/nikon-d4-specs-16-2mp-11-fps-102400-native-iso-xqd-memory-card.aspx/">Nikon Rumors</a> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
When the 1DX dropped, a quote from Canon was something along the lines of "we listened to a lot of pros and what they wanted from a camera", ie, things like the Ethernet port.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon listened to a lot of the same pros and put their own Ethernet port in, it's waay too soon for them to have just hacked it in since the 1DX was announced.

But I still call this a mashup of 1DX and D3s-improved wishlist...

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
dr croubie said:
When the 1DX dropped, a quote from Canon was something along the lines of "we listened to a lot of pros and what they wanted from a camera", ie, things like the Ethernet port.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon listened to a lot of the same pros and put their own Ethernet port in, it's waay too soon for them to have just hacked it in since the 1DX was announced.

But I still call this a mashup of 1DX and D3s-improved wishlist...

My understanding was the gigabit ethernet was prettty much becoming a must-have for Canon and Nikon for the Olympics. Both Canon and Nikon need to have cameras with Ethernet in production by then.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
dilbert said:
Yup, I can believe it. Lots of cameras wired up directly to people's laptops that have empty 500GB drives in them. No messing about with storage cards.
Actually straight to edit suites and news desks. That means that editorial staff will have the shots straight off the camera. I presume that media (press etc.) will be wanting Ethernet from the locations where their shooters are through to the media suites so that reporters and editorial staff have the images immediately. At an event such as the Olympics, you will have a complete stadium LAN infrastructure, so you are not limited by the length of a CAT5/CAT6 trunk+flylead. I presume each media organisation will get its own VLAN. If VLAN membership is by MAC address, that means that, for instance, if I am a Reuters shooter, and the MAC address of my camera is recorded as being part of the Reuters VLAN, that means that I can just plug in anywhere there is a LAN point and have my photos immediately going back to my editorial suite.

Cisco will be making some big bucks out of the network infrastructure for the London Olympics!

[/quote]

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Well now its getting interesting. While this shows the 1DX is bang on overall on its spec for that market segment, it is unfortunate at least on paper for now that Nikon might keep their low light king title with a full stop higher in native ISO. Of course until we see raw file we wont know for sure, but the D4 might end up with a small edge over the 1DX when it come to low light...

This also help clarify the roadmap for the 5D III hopefully?!?

Upvote 0
at such high iso i doubt there will be a whole lot of difference between the 2 to be honest, I would not expect great things from iso 100,000. I think we might see usability of images hit the ceiling in the 25k range
but noise tollerance is such a subjective thing as has been previously discussed. I think it will be spec bragging rights and thats about it.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
wickidwombat said:
at such high iso i doubt there will be a whole lot of difference between the 2 to be honest, I would expect great things from iso 100,000. I think we might see usability of images hit the ceiling in the 25k range
but noise tollerance is such a subjective thing as has been previously discussed. I think it will be spec bragging rights and thats about it.

I agree with you on the 25k range. The point for me will not be so much how high each machine goes in terms of ISO (like 51k versus 102k) but how clean they each are at ISO 12,800 and ISO 25,600. Being somewhat limited to a usable ISO 3200 currently with my 5D, hell a clean ISO 12k or 25k seem like heaven! I really hope this new sensor Canon has delivers !

Upvote 0
blarygake said:
Japanese companies have been really complacent in recent years. Canon and Nintendo are the worst offenders, I think.
Are we talking post-Wii or pre-Wii? 'cuz, if you remember, at the time it was the big N doing the unthinkable launching a system based around a "gimmick" and not asking consumers to shell out huge money for a system based on its graphics. Then there's the DS...and now the 3DS...if anybody was complacent in that market, design-wise, it was Sony. In any case, continuity is often a good thing (no Wii for me, though - no GameCube backwards-compatibility, which made little sense from a strategic positioning POV, though I think their new core disallowed it).

And on Nikon's side: "If we just release a camera with a Sony sensor / a sensor 2MP less than Canon, we will be crowned the "High ISO kings!"

To be sure, the D90 came first with DSLR video, but Canon's been out there trying to solidify their core competency by designing and producing their own sensors. This has been, and remains, a shaky part of Nikon's business model (though not as bad as all the MF manufacturers who were apparently reliant on Kodak sensors).

Upvote 0
JR said:
The point for me will not be so much how high each machine goes in terms of ISO (like 51k versus 102k) but how clean they each are at ISO 12,800 and ISO 25,600. Being somewhat limited to a usable ISO 3200 currently with my 5D, hell a clean ISO 12k or 25k seem like heaven! I really hope this new sensor Canon has delivers!

Why? It has been repeated several times, including on the forum here, that when you look through Canon's marketing smoke screen (which compares JPEG noise performance with the smaller-sensor 1D4) we can expect the 1DX sensor and circuitry to have about a 1/2 EV improvement in RAW noise performance over the 5D2.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.