Nikon D5 Specifications Surface

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We can expect to see a Nikon D5 announced some time in early 2016 and an updated specifications list has come about.</p>
<p>Rumored Nikon D5 Specifications:</p>
<p> </p>
<ul>
<li>New 20MP FX sensor</li>
<li>New focusing module with larger coverage and 107 or 173 autofocus points (I am getting conflicting reports on that one)</li>
<li>Native high ISO of 102,400</li>
<li>15 fps</li>
<li>Body design similar to the D4s</li>
<li>4K video 60/30fps</li>
<li>Full HD slow motion</li>
<li>Announcement expected in early 2016</li>
</ul>
<p> </p>

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
[sarc mode]
Oh my gosh!
No MP monster?
What will the MP crowd say?
And what does this mean to the 1DXII?
And how yould I ever make a good picture again with just 20 MP?
[/sarc mode]

Back to reality:
Quite reasonable specs. As expected for the folks using such high speed/performance tool.
Hopefully this will push Canon further on.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
New 20MP FX sensor
(33% increase over the D4s, but that's not going to matter since most of the time they'll be shooting in crop mode.)

New focusing module with larger coverage and 107 or 173 autofocus points
(Probably 107 points in high fps crop mode and 173 below 10fps. Chances are only the center points are cross type, ensuring maximum efficiency in marketing dollars.)

15 fps
(Knowing Nikon: 15fps in super extra crop mode, 12fps in DX crop mode with 12bit RAW, and 9fps at full resolution in 14bit RAW)

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
dilbert said:
scyrene said:
dilbert said:
Looks like this will be the first Nikon DSLR that does 4K video.

Will the 1DXII be Canon's first non Cinema-EOS DSLR to do 4k?

Nope, the 1DC was ;P

There, fixed it for you :)

I recall that the 1DC does 24P in 4K. It will be interesting to see the IQ of the F5 video at 60P if that is what it ends up doing.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
scyrene said:
dilbert said:

Nope, the 1DC was ;P

That's the second time (that I know of) where you've made that same false statement. Should we consider it a sign of improvement that at least this time when you were called on your error you didn't try claiming that the EOS 1D C isn't really a dSLR?? ::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:
scyrene said:
dilbert said:

Nope, the 1DC was ;P

That's the second time (that I know of) where you've made that same false statement. Should we consider it a sign of improvement that at least this time when you were called on your error you didn't try claiming that the EOS 1D C isn't really a dSLR?? ::) ::) ::)

Maybe it's my natural charm... :-*

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We can expect to see a Nikon D5 announced some time in early 2016 and an updated specifications list has come about.</p>
<p>Rumored Nikon D5 Specifications:</p>
<p> </p>
<ul>
<li>New 20MP FX sensor</li>
<li>New focusing module with larger coverage and 107 or 173 autofocus points (I am getting conflicting reports on that one)</li>
<li>Native high ISO of 102,400</li>
<li>15 fps</li>
<li>Body design similar to the D4s</li>
<li>4K video 60/30fps</li>
<li>Full HD slow motion</li>
<li>Announcement expected in early 2016</li>
</ul>
<p> </p>

How about "really glitchy AF and new "prone to random camera lockups" feature....
After the D4 fiasco...I'd be surprised if a lot of pros will ever trust Nikon again.
Then there's the isolated wedding photographers...who jumped ship from Canon to Nikon in the D700 days...only to find that the D800 wasn't an upgrade and there was no upgrade path for them. The only upgrade was the D4...at nearly three times the price of a D700. Most wedding photographers need at least two bodies...

Canon's current 1DX will already go toe to toe for the D5 rumour because of it's well proven reliability. The D5 has a steep hill to climb and the 1DXII is more likely to be a bigger seller due to the ground work that the 1DX has already laid.

Has Nikon produced any interesting new lenses in the last 3 years? Everything they seemed to have launched recently is a Canon portfolio clone (24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 ect...)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
GMCPhotographics said:
Has Nikon produced any interesting new lenses in the last 3 years? Everything they seemed to have launched recently is a Canon portfolio clone (24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 ect...)

Seriously, guy...they came out with new supertele lenses that have fluorite elements! How can you question Nikon's innovation?!? ;)

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
Canon's current 1DX will already go toe to toe for the D5 rumour because of it's well proven reliability. The D5 has a steep hill to climb and the 1DXII is more likely to be a bigger seller due to the ground work that the 1DX has already laid.

I don't agree with that, I think at this level most photographers aren't about to change ship unless there is some really massive, and I mean enormous, new tech introduced into one of the new cameras that they just cannot live without for a second longer. How likely is that to happen? Almost zero chance.

When I am shooting an event (sport), I often talk to some of the Nikon guys I know and see frequently and we may chat about cameras, but both of us know that he is going to stick with Nikon, and I am going to stick with Canon. Why? We are both heavily invested in glass, we get on well with our CPS (or NPS?) contacts that we use, we like the system and all the support that they give us.

If Nikon has 2 fps more, so be it. If it has a heated grip for those days it is cold, then .. well that could be a game changer! lol ;)

But seriously, the top of the range Nikon and the top of the range Canon are both excellent cameras, they make me look better than I probably am, and they get the job done.

Very few will be jumping ship.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
GMCPhotographics said:

I don't agree with that, I think at this level most photographers aren't about to change ship unless there is some really massive, and I mean enormous, new tech introduced into one of the new cameras that they just cannot live without for a second longer. How likely is that to happen? Almost zero chance.

When I am shooting an event (sport), I often talk to some of the Nikon guys I know and see frequently and we may chat about cameras, but both of us know that he is going to stick with Nikon, and I am going to stick with Canon. Why? We are both heavily invested in glass, we get on well with our CPS (or NPS?) contacts that we use, we like the system and all the support that they give us.

If Nikon has 2 fps more, so be it. If it has a heated grip for those days it is cold, then .. well that could be a game changer! lol ;)

But seriously, the top of the range Nikon and the top of the range Canon are both excellent cameras, they make me look better than I probably am, and they get the job done.

Very well said !
Absolutely agree !

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:

That seems harsh. Their last annoucement, not even 2 months ago, was for 3 lenses that don't even exist in Canon's portfolio.

Granted, the 24/1.8 is not that novel, but the other two (24-70/2.8 VR and 200-500/5.6 VR) are certainly interesting, I think there are quite a few Canon shooters (including me) who would like to see them offered by Canon.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Indeed, Sony's mirrorless cameras are much more of a threat because if Sony can get its AF working well with adapters plus Canon/Nikon glass then buying same-brand bodies is no longer a requirement or expected outcome for those two companies.

If the D5 can do 60fps 4K video, then for sports, do you set your camera to shoot 4K video at 1/500 and get 60fps of 8MP stills whilst "shooting"? Or do you continue to do 15fps at 20MP? With those big lenses, you don't need to crop and what's your target media? Never bigger than an A4 print, so 8MP will be perfectly fine.

No, sorry. I am not sure you have any idea how much support CPS (or the Nikon equivalent) offers photographers, especially those doing sports. Sony only launched its pro support recently, but my CPS contact knows me for a long, long time and she has helped me a lot in the past. Then there are the other benefits, such as exclusive promotions etc.

Sony is a long, long, long way away from getting that part of my business. Frankly, I doubt it ever will, but who knows.

At a lot of events you have to sign contracts, and there is a lot of issues about shooting video. Even if you are going to use that video to take stills from you could be risking your accreditation and future. I would never shoot video to take stills from at a sporting event. I do not think that is the intended purpose ok Nikon shooting 4K video.

The 1D X battery lasts most of the day shooting stills at a sporting event, how many batteries would you need to shoot almost an entire day of 4K video so you can take stills from it, while breaking your accreditation agreement? No chance.

For me, Sony is doing some very interesting things with phones (Xperia Z5 Premium) and the RX100 line. The A7R II is also very interesting from a video perspective but not sport photography.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
GMCPhotographics said:

You completely missed my point. I know of a large number of other pro's who have "had it" with Nikon. The D4 was their last straw. An alienated customer base and unreliable cameras with frequent lockups. A pro will suffer only so much. Two years ago, I was on a birds in flight workshop and there were a number of pro wild life photographers there filling up their boots with stock shots. Most of the Nikon D4's crapped out after an hour or so...then they went through tier backup cams...and their backup backups...the Canon shooters just kept on with their existing kit. This year, I was back on the same workshop and most of the same guys where there...nearly all of them were Canon 1DX shooters. Their favorite lenses were either the new 500IIL or 600IIL. End of story.

Brand loyalty is something that Nikon have squandered

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
expatinasia said:
GMCPhotographics said:

It seems to me, now we are in such a mature technology, it isn't 'new' features that push people to change brands, it is the cock ups the companies make in implementing the features we already have.

We all know that Canon are not immune, the 1D MkIII AF fiasco moved more people to Nikon from Canon than any 'new' feature has ever done. It seems the D4 has a very poor reliability record and there will be those users who have just 'had enough', they are not sold on any individual new feature a Canon product might have, they are just looking over the other side of the fence and see that lovely green grass.

I bore people here with my focus on lenses but looking at Canon's lens lineup, from the 11-24 to the 200-400 with TC, makes this side of the fence look very very green!

Upvote 0