Nikon D800 Outed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

psycho5

screw it... the 1Dx is my next body since the amount necessary to process 36mp images and a 5D3 would come out to be more than a 1Dx, so why not skip the BS and daydreaming and get the absolute best?

My 7D is 18mp, the 1Dx is 18mp, so the file size shouldnt be too different. Can spring come any quicker? ill be laughing with a new 1Dx while all the fools (a lot of my friends who are megapixel whores) with the next 5D complain about large file sizes and how their camera is more noisy in low light.

$6800... at least ill get the sensor I want without waiting for the S___heads at canon to finally make an outdoor FF (like 7D)

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

psycho5 said:
screw it... the 1Dx is my next body since the amount necessary to process 36mp images and a 5D3 would come out to be more than a 1Dx, so why not skip the BS and daydreaming and get the absolute best?

My 7D is 18mp, the 1Dx is 18mp, so the file size shouldnt be too different. Can spring come any quicker? ill be laughing with a new 1Dx while all the fools (a lot of my friends who are megapixel whores) with the next 5D complain about large file sizes and how their camera is more noisy in low light.

$6800... at least ill get the sensor I want without waiting for the S___heads at canon to finally make an outdoor FF (like 7D)

This is exactly canons plan. I am very tempted to do the same but don't want to give into canons money making master plan. I guess I can cope with crap autofocus for now...

Upvote 0
If you try to "push" $11,000.00 lenses replacements, you would to build flagship cameras that do not support converters...
Canon is to obvious, out of control milking is going on like there is no tomorrow... !

KeithR said:
Edwin Herdman said:
Him and the not insignificant crowd of people who use a high resolution camera with a crop factor - bird photographers, sports and news types...I doubt many are smiling benevolently on Canon's youthful blunder of the f/5.6 AF limit, either.
I'm a bird 'tog too, and I'm also surprised at the f/5.6 AF limit: but I don't believe for a second that Canon will change its direction just because I - or anyone else - complains on an internet forum about it or threatens to spend my hard-earned elswhere.

They're not in the business of building me my camera: all any of us can ever do is hope that what they do build ticks enough of our own personal boxes.

Upvote 0
Reading comments posted here and on other sites, it seems that Canon will struggle to convince users on both sides of the crop/high ISO : high MP argument that the 1Dx is a good compromise. Certainly I'm not convinced and I'm firmly on the high MP side as I've already indicated.

Nikon entering the market with 36MP will focus attention in the marketing meetings at Canon HQ, or I hope it will.

Upvote 0
Spent the morning at a Canon presentation on the new 1Dx and grabbed the opportunity to ask the direct question about how Canon are likely to respond to the 36MP D800.The answer was that there are no plans to introduce a 1Ds replacement, but that this does not rule out some other response. However this means that there will be no response for possibly as long as a couple of years!

I also hear that the 200-400 is still only at an early stage in its development. A prototype exists, but its a long way from production.

The presentation was excellent. The Canon staff were honest and straightforward and they really knew their stuff. We were treated to lunch as well as teas/coffees and encouraged to take the cameras and or lenses to the local wildlife lakes to try them for ourselves. That included the new range of 400 to 800mm primes.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

motorhead said:
I also hear that the 200-400 is still only at an early stage in its development. A prototype exists, but its a long way from production.
I have almost jumped ship to Nikon a couple of times because of their truly fantastic 200-400 f4. Canon has nothing that can match it in terms of flexibility/IQ and "long way from production" seriously bums me out. Pair that with the D800 and it's getting hard to stay in the Canon camp.

Upvote 0
Dilbert,

None of it is my conjecture, its all direct from one Canon employees mouth. How much is his own guesswork I have no idea, but I do believe he was being as honest with me as he could be.

I'd guess that any D800 response will have to await a management meeting before any research even starts, so its bound to be a long time coming.

Upvote 0
F

Fab_Angilletta

motorhead said:
Spent the morning at a Canon presentation on the new 1Dx and grabbed the opportunity to ask the direct question about how Canon are likely to respond to the 36MP D800.The answer was that there are no plans to introduce a 1Ds replacement, but that this does not rule out some other response. However this means that there will be no response for possibly as long as a couple of years!

what? no response to D800 for a couple of years? i can't believe this, no.
canon will respond with 5D mark 3 but i don't think it be 36MP maybe 32MP

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Fab_Angilletta said:
motorhead said:

what? no response to D800 for a couple of years? i can't believe this, no.
canon will respond with 5D mark 3 but i don't think it be 36MP maybe 32MP

By "no response for a couple of years" the rep could mean only that nothing is coming up (i.e. R&D done, field testing underway, release imminent) that will match the 36MP.

If Canon didn't already have a plan to introduce an ~36MP FF sensor and were caught by surprise at Nikon doing so, then it would take them some time to go through the usual development phases. However, it's also possible they have multiple sensors in development all the time and might choose among them based on what Nikon does.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Maybe we will now have a low megapixel war.

I am all for that! At least now (assuming the rumors are true) it is not the MP per say that will make the difference (16 vs 18) but more the overall product design and all the tech stuff required to squeeze low light performance from these sensor. I think we can only benefit. I think in the current line up (Canon vs Nikon) the approaches were so different that it became a he said she said type of argumentation with two distinct camp.

Now that both company seem to converge toward a low MP high speed camera and a high MP camera, the story will be different...

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
JR said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Maybe we will now have a low megapixel war.

I am all for that! At least now (assuming the rumors are true) it is not the MP per say that will make the difference (16 vs 18) but more the overall product design and all the tech stuff required to squeeze low light performance from these sensor. I think we can only benefit. I think in the current line up (Canon vs Nikon) the approaches were so different that it became a he said she said type of argumentation with two distinct camp.

Now that both company seem to converge toward a low MP high speed camera and a high MP camera, the story will be different...

I think that was a joke. If not, I have a fabulously low .5 megapixel digital camera I'll sell you. ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.