Nikon refuses to fix there own camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2011
I have a friend that bought a camera from Ryther camera, well it turns out they put a gray market camera in a USA box and the serial numbers don't match. To make matters worse the Nikon repair facility refuses to even touch the camera even if she paid for the repairs. Talk about sticking it to your customers. Is this normal? Would canon be so terrible to its customers?

Mar 27, 2011
LuckyRosco said:
I've always thought Ryther's was a bait-&-switch type of operation. I could be wrong. Most respectable stores won't carry a gray market camera here in the US. At least they will tell you it's a gray or not. You should always get the business checked out before purchasing anything.
Apparently they took the USA camera out of the box and put a gray market in. The serial numbers from the box and the camera don't match and Nikon wont touch it without an international receipt. She had got the bait and switch call right after she bought the camera. When she didn't buy there overpriced accessories I guess that is how they made up the difference. The have horrible reviews on the web. I told to buy from B&H first Adorama second.....

Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

I'll echo TexPhoto's statement. No matter the company you get it from, they will deny repair work on it. I work in a camera store and we have seen this from multiple companies.

And yes, Ryther has a reputation for this bait & switch crap. They're one of the worst I've ever heard of, in fact. My condolences to your friend, and I really hope she can get a resolution to all this, but I sincerely doubt anything will come of it from past stories I've heard.

A prime example of why checking out a business is essential nowadays. Especially if it's an online company.

Upvote 0
U

UncleFester

cpsico said:
LuckyRosco said:
I've always thought Ryther's was a bait-&-switch type of operation. I could be wrong. Most respectable stores won't carry a gray market camera here in the US. At least they will tell you it's a gray or not. You should always get the business checked out before purchasing anything.
Apparently they took the USA camera out of the box and put a gray market in. The serial numbers from the box and the camera don't match and Nikon wont touch it without an international receipt. She had got the bait and switch call right after she bought the camera. When she didn't buy there overpriced accessories I guess that is how they made up the difference. The have horrible reviews on the web. I told to buy from B&H first Adorama second.....

More than likely they lost the original box and just tossed it in another. Places like this generally part out the battery, charger, strap, etc just to get the body price lower than the reputable stores.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.