Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Freelancer

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11/06/nikon-announces-nikon-d5200

Key features
•DX-format, 24.1 megapixel CMOS image sensor with EXPEED 3 for exceptional quality
•Vari-angle LCD monitor: View life at a unique angle with a high resolution, 7.5cm (3.0-in), 921k dot vari-angle screen
•Compatible with Wireless Mobile Adaptor WU-1a to transmit images from the camera to Apple™ or Android™ smart device and remote shooting*1
•High ISO (100-6400) extendable to 25600: keeps the detail with low noise in low-light situations
•Razor-sharp 39-point AF system with nine cross-type sensors in the center. Offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame
•2,016 pixel RGB metering sensor delivers highly accurate metering for exact exposures and provides precise data to the camera's Scene Recognition System ◦Scene Recognition System optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released
◦Continuous shooting at 5fps: so you do not miss that fast-moving action shot
◦High dynamic range (HDR): Gives detailed shots of high-contrast scenes by combining two shots taken within a single shutter release

•Active D-Lighting: Retains details in highlights and shadows for well-balanced images, even if the subject is moving
•D-Movie: Full (1080p) HD movies with smooth (up to 60i/50i) recording and a built-in stereo microphone
•D-Movie AF modes: Live View autofocus works when shooting movie clips, keeping subjects in sharp focus
•In-built stereo-microphone for improved sound quality
•Updated new generation GUI Design ◦16 Scene modes: Automatically adjusts camera settings, including Picture Controls and Active D-Lighting, for optimal results.

•Effects mode – seven effects including Selective Colour and Miniature, which can be applied in pre-shoot, for more creative movies and stills ◦Compatible with WR-R10 Wireless Remote transceiver and WR-T10 Wireless Remote transmitter that let you control key camera functions from a distance

•GPS compatible: Records the exact location of the camera when a picture is taken by using the optional GP-1 unit
•NIKKOR lenses: take advantage of Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR lenses and make the most of the camera’s 24-megapixel resolution. Capture photos with vivid colour and striking contrast. Shoot movies with crisp detail or experiment with cinematic effectsAvailable in three colours: black, red and bronze
•Lightweight body (505g) with an intelligent design and superior ergonomics

C

Canon-F1

azizjhn said:
But since Nikon announce there cam thats mean Canon will follow it in a short time i hope they release 70D or 7D MK II

well and what if canon plays the usual game?

imagine the 70D and 7D MK II really get the "hybrid" 650D sensor.
plus a few gimmicks of course.

or the same sensor technology as the 650D but with 20-22 MP.

of course for 300$ more then the latest models.

Upvote 0

azizjhn

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2012
Canon-F1 said:
azizjhn said:
But since Nikon announce there cam thats mean Canon will follow it in a short time i hope they release 70D or 7D MK II

It will be their fault i don't care if they lose money that will give them a hard lesson.

Upvote 0
Freelancer said:
•Compatible with Wireless Mobile Adaptor WU-1a to transmit images from the camera to Apple™ or Android™ smart device and remote shooting*1
•Razor-sharp 39-point AF system with nine cross-type sensors in the center. Offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame
•2,016 pixel RGB metering sensor delivers highly accurate metering for exact exposures and provides precise data to the camera's Scene Recognition System ◦Scene Recognition System optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released
◦Continuous shooting at 5fps: so you do not miss that fast-moving action shot
◦High dynamic range (HDR): Gives detailed shots of high-contrast scenes by combining two shots taken within a single shutter release
•D-Movie: Full (1080p) HD movies with smooth (up to 60i/50i) recording and a built-in stereo microphone
•D-Movie AF modes: Live View autofocus works when shooting movie clips, keeping subjects in sharp focus
•In-built stereo-microphone for improved sound quality

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Wake up Canon!!! 39 point AF? 1080/60i? 2016 pixel RGB? Is this going against 60D/7D????

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
azizjhn said:
Good to see Nikon going on rampage right now that better for us as a costumers, but anyway this camera will cost 1,150$ it is 350$ more than the Canon 650D and even more expensive than the 60D.

cheers ;D

Interesting from UK pricing
£720 - $1150.7 less 20% UK tax £576 - $921

and that would be 'early adopter' price

Is the UK getting this camera cheaper?

Upvote 0
Canon-F1 said:
azizjhn said:

They'll just put WIFI and GPS in-cam and EV -3 center point and recycle the hybrid 18mp sensor of 650D that is even beaten by the 18mp sensor of 600D. :p

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
RLPhoto said:
Canon is acting quite a bit like Kodak lately.

Unable to innovate, don't want to innovate, stubborn, hard-headed, doesn't listen to customers/users?

So the new AF in the 5D3 is not listening to Canon 5D2 owners??

So IS becoming standard on even short-focal length primes as well as the new 24-70 standard zoom is not listening to customers??

Canon is listening to customers, they're just not listening to the vocal minority ???

Upvote 0
It is perfectly normal for manufacturers to leap-frog each other in the tech stakes. Canon was way ahead of Nikon in the MP stakes for years, and Nikon was slightly ahead in the ISO stakes. Now Canon has leap-frogged the Nikon D4 and D800 in terms of ISO performance with the 1DX and the 5D3...meanwhile Nikon has the 24MP Sony Exmor sensor....
....competition is healthy, it is a good thing and Canon will up the game in 2013, and no they're not Kodak, they're not going to cling to old tech forever.

edit: MS are pricing the new Surface tablet @ same price as new iPad but with 32GB instead of 16GB and larger screen

Upvote 0
DB said:
verysimplejason said:
RLPhoto said:
Canon is acting quite a bit like Kodak lately.

Unable to innovate, don't want to innovate, stubborn, hard-headed, doesn't listen to customers/users?

So the new AF in the 5D3 is not listening to Canon 5D2 owners??

So IS becoming standard on even short-focal length primes as well as the new 24-70 standard zoom is not listening to customers??

Canon is listening to customers, they're just not listening to the vocal minority ???

Who asked for IS on short-focal length primes. If anything I'd say most people wanted internal zoom and IS on the 24-70. I still bought one anyway.

Honestly the DR thing nobody really wasn't even on most people's radar until the D800 came out so I can forgive them on that.

What I would be interested in is a new

14-24
updated zoom: 16-35 L II
updated primes 35, 50 (1.2L or 1.4) and 85 mm L lenses
make 5D/1D series bodies all have WiFi/GPS/ Radio Flash Trigger built in
stop crippling video output
prices that are not out of whack

In the Future a high MP high DR sensor.

The last thing that got me really excited was the 200-400 1.4TC lens which I would like to own someday.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.