No crop on 4K coming in next APS-C DSLR [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS 90D is expected to be announced somewhere around the end of August or early September. All signs point to it being an amalgamation of the EOS 80D and EOS 7D Mark II lines of cameras.
We have been told that the next APS-C DSLR will shoot 4K from a 32.5mp sensor, and will do so without any sort of “meaningful” crop. So we may be getting the new generation of Canon sensors with line skipping or pixel binning for video work.
Other than that, there’s nothing really new to report about the EOS 90D. You can check out the rumoured spec list for the EOS 90D here.
update I added pixel binning as a possibility for Canon in getting rid of the heavy crop they currently have on their ILC still cameras for 4K video.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Only two card slots? Why not 6K no crop?!! DOA. /s

But in all seriousness, I'll watch this one closely - it may make a fair few suggestions on what to expect from future bodies from Canon.
If it can do 32.5 megapixels with no crop, it can probably output fast enough for real time focus tracking with high speed FPS in a mirrorless R body.

I think the possibility of a 90d being a 7d like optical viewfinder camera and the 7d replacement being a aps-c R mount mirrorless camera is looking more and more likely. One hits the consumers and one is focused on the pros and semi pros that use the 7dii for sports.

Upvote 0
If it can do 32.5 megapixels with no crop, it can probably output fast enough for real time focus tracking with high speed FPS in a mirrorless R body.

I think the possibility of a 90d being a 7d like optical viewfinder camera and the 7d replacement being a aps-c R mount mirrorless camera is looking more and more likely. One hits the consumers and one is focused on the pros and semi pros that use the 7dii for sports.
do we know if there is a connection between linescipping / no crop in video and processor power?

if yes we would have more evidence for the rumored 10 fps and perhaps good focussing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
do we know if there is a connection between linescipping / no crop in video and processor power?

if yes we would have more evidence for the rumored 10 fps and perhaps good focussing.

The rumored specs mentioned "Dual DIGIC8" processing, so I am going to guess that there's enough processing power for 10fps photos, and uncropped 4K video.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If the 90D specs are true, whoever does product segmentation at Canon needs to have cardiac function tests daily and be placed on suicide watch until product release. Dual Digic 8, dual card slots, eye detect AF in live view, no crop 4k... All this would be in direct competition with flagship cameras. It simply goes against how Canon has done business since the 5D Mark II. We are much more likely to be disappointed than not. That said, if you've been considering an upgrade, definitely worth waiting to see what happens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Line skipping on a 32 megapixel sensor would equal sampling around every other row, just 8 megapixels. It'll probably use some sort of binning of those choices of pixels for the bayer pattern. It's less processor intensive, but the quality isn't as good. It won't be as much of an issue like it was on the on the 1080 line skipping Canon cameras, most of which were capturing barely 700 lines.

Other cameras like the A7 III/Z6 oversample the sensor, the sensor read out and processor is fast enough to read every pixel and renders that to 4K. The higher megapixel A7R III/Z7 cameras use line skipping, the video doesn't hold up well in low light.

I'd expect a large fps bump and other improvements once Canon is able to oversample.

Upvote 0
It won't be as much of an issue like it was on the on the 1080 line skipping Canon cameras, most of which were capturing barely 700 lines.

Without oversampling, Canon's 4K has the same lack resolution as the old 1080p. It might just as well be output as 2.7K. The real problem with line skipping is the aliasing and moire. I would take a sensor crop over line skipping.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
... All this would be in direct competition with flagship cameras. It simply goes against how Canon has done business since the 5D Mark II...

It would be entirely consistent with the 7D series. The original 7D specs were better than the 5DII in many respects and the 7DII offered many of the features/functions of the 1DX in a package that was a fraction of the cost. It's not surprising that Canon may be offering these features in a APS-C camera, but that it is offering them in the XXD line. Unfortunately, each leaked feature seems to be another nail in the 7D coffin.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It would be entirely consistent with the 7D series. The original 7D specs were better than the 5DII in many respects and the 7DII offered many of the features/functions of the 1DX in a package that was a fraction of the cost. It's not surprising that Canon may be offering these features in a APS-C camera, but that it is offering them in the XXD line. Unfortunately, each leaked feature seems to be another nail in the 7D coffin.
The 6D and 5D lines demise are both up for debate as well. I'm starting to wonder if there will be a new lower end model which will supersede the 5D3 specs anytime soon. A 6D3 could easily but that's hardly in the near future, let alone future. It's a curious time for the various Canon prosumer models.

Upvote 0
I think Canon would be better off retaining the 7D branding and announce the end of the X0D line. If they feel the need to fill the segment below that, create something like a "Rebel Pro." As has been discussed before, the 7D market is more likely to invest more in lenses and other goodies than lower end camera buyers.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Labelling it a 90D sounds very uninspiring. If its just a badge I'd have thought 7DIII would be a more attractive moniker. Could be the same camera either way.
10FPS would be a huge disappointment to me. Even 11FPS would show some progress.
The big weak point for me on the 7DII was it's ISO performance.
It wasn't great when it came out and is pretty disappointing at this stage.
It will be interesting to see what progress Canon have made in the mean time.
The 7DII focusing I think is still very respectable.
It would be great if they could bring some intelligence to it in terms of staying locked onto a subject (BIF etc)

Upvote 0