Noisy RAW processing by DxO PL3 of EOS 90D and M6 II files

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For my early trials with the 90D, I used PictureCode/PhotoNinja as RAW converter (via .dng files produced by Photoshop). It processed the files very nicely and suppressed noise very well. I couldn't use my favourite DxO Photolab until PL3 came out. Unfortunately, the PRIME noise suppression leaves a horrible grainy noise that doesn't get suppressed by the Luminance slider when the Lens Sharpness tool, which is tailored to individual lenses, is used. Do others find this with their 90Ds and M6 IIs?

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Let's see an example. Alan.

But for reference, this is 6400 ISO from my M6 Mk II, with PRIME at 45 and Lens Sharpness (Global) at1.02 (note that it looks about the same at 0), from the CR3:

IMG_0125_DxO-1_ACD.jpg

They wouldn't be my normal settings (I don't globally sharpen at all on conversion, applying it selectively instead) but this is fine at the image level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Let's see an example. Alan.

But for reference, this is 6400 ISO from my M6 Mk II, with PRIME at 45 and Lens Sharpness (Global) at1.02 (note that it looks about the same at 0), from the CR3:

View attachment 188695

They wouldn't be my normal settings (I don't globally sharpen at all on conversion, applying it selectively instead) but this is fine at the image level.
Hi Keith, thanks for chipping in. I’ll dig out something tomorrow. What are the original pixel dimensions of your posting. I think the global sharpening is the villain.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Keith
Here are some 1000x1000px crops from the centre shown at 100%. iso640, 1/3200s, f/5.6 100-400mm II, 90D. No exposure compensation etc.
This is a relatively low iso, but noise can be seen in the dark areas. It is nasty in texture under some conditions.
Top - DxO PRIME settings of 40 Lum, Lens Sharpness on with Global = 0, Details 50, Bokeh 50 - noisy
Next - same but 100 Lum, hardly different.
Next - as top but LS off - much better
Next - as top but Global in Lens Sharpness at -3, much better
It;'s the global in LS that causes the problems.
Bottom two for comparison, Noise Ninja and Noise Ninja with USM 100% 1 px in PS. What is noise?

Complaints about noise on 90D and M6II may result from wrong choice for processing and sharpening.
IMG_8787-DxO_LongtailedTit_Prime_40Lum_LS_on.jpgIMG_8787-DxO_LongtailedTit_Prime_100Lum_LS_on.jpgIMG_8787-DxO_LongtailedTit_Prime_40Lum_LS__off.jpgIMG_8787-DxO_LongtailedTit_Prime_40Lum_LS_on_Global-3.jpgIMG_8787_LongtailedTit_NN.jpgIMG_8787_LongtailedTit_NN_USM100-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Complaints about noise on 90D and M6II may result from wrong choice for processing and sharpening.

Heh! How long have I been telling people exactly that - about all sorts of cameras? I've advocated (and demonstrated the value of) educated Raw converter choices, and selective sharpening, forever.

There's a post in the Animal Kingdom (Birds) forum right now where the poster describes his 800 ISO 7D Mk II shot as being "higher ISO", and helpfully offering to show us his AI Denoise workflow for dealing with it.

I'm having to (metaphorically) bite my lip so as not to tell him that I get images that are as clean at 8000 ISO, straight out of my converter.

(Incidentally, I'm pretty keen on Capture One 20 now: generally as good as PhotoLab until the ISOs are right up there: an order of magnitude faster; and it can deal with highlights properly - I'm disappointed to see that PhotoLab is as useless there as Optics Pro used to be. But Photo Ninja is still my go-to, as it does everything well, and extracts more fine detail by default than other converters.)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Heh! How long have I been telling people exactly that - about all sorts of cameras? I've advocated (and demonstrated the value of) educated Raw converter choices, and selective sharpening, forever.

There's a post in the Animal Kingdom (Birds) forum right now where the poster describes his 800 ISO 7D Mk II shot as being "higher ISO", and helpfully offering to show us his AI Denoise workflow for dealing with it.

I'm having to (metaphorically) bite my lip so as not to tell him that I get images that are as clean at 8000 ISO, straight out of my converter.

(Incidentally, I'm pretty keen on Capture One 20 now: generally as good as PhotoLab until the ISOs are right up there: an order of magnitude faster; and it can deal with highlights properly - I'm disappointed to see that PhotoLab is as useless there as Optics Pro used to be. But Photo Ninja is still my go-to, as it does everything well, and extracts more fine detail by default than other converters.)
You put me on to PhotoNinja so thanks again. When we use 1 Mpx crops from a 32 Mpx sensor it's like pushing up the iso by 2-3 stops.

Upvote 0