Noob here. Feedback appreciated

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
byrd363 said:
I am looking for feedback. Thanks in advance.

The light is hitting your subject from the right. You can turn the subject until you achieve a broad-side light to cover the face and leave a small triangle of light on the opposite side. A rudimentary Rembrandt light can be acieved with the use of a scrim to soften up the hard light. It'd look great.

Your exposure should always be based on the skin tone of your subject, I feel this is under-exposed.

The centered composition is ok, but could be improved. Generally we read from left to right and its good to compose with that in mind. Rules of thirds or the golden ratio could be applied here.

It's a start but keep working at it. Soon this will be second nature.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Hi byrd, that little lady is a heck of a good subject.
I want to be drawn to her eyes therefore to me this picture needs a lot of cropping. I don’t know if the toy is important to her if so then there is a case for inclusion. Her dress looks blown out to me and her face is in shadow, better than me can tell you if fill flash or a reflector would be better, I’d go with a reflector. I don’t like the harsh line of the bench behind her head but I love the expression on her face which you would probably have lost if she was repositioned though, f9 was maybe a bit too much dof.
Hope you don't mind, I’ve attached a couple of crops please don’t think I’m saying these are perfect, anything but. I’d love for the pros on here to advise, I’m googling scrim!

Attachments

• IMG_0500_1(1).JPG
    IMG_0500_1(1).JPG
    880.5 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_0500_1(2).JPG
    IMG_0500_1(2).JPG
    516.8 KB · Views: 808
Upvote 0
Looks a bit under exposed, as well as not quite saturated enough. The bench I could buy being that color, but I'd expect the dress to pop a bit more, it's a bright pink after all, right? And I agree with the rest, some lighting on her face would be great. I think the scene is interesting, with the plaque and the stuffed animal, but framing does need to be something different, not quite as centered.

Upvote 0
S

SandyP

A reflector, or even a $2 sheet of big construction paper (white) would have solved this no problem. :)

If you filled in her face with that paper, or small reflector, you could have balanced out the photo a bit and drawn us with light, to her face and eyes a lot more. Other than that, there are millions of ways to do any photo "differently". But that's what I would have done.

Or, if you could get her to listen, and not squint, then turning her the other way, with her chin up a little bit to get a nice shape/shadow that defines the face and doesn't have bad eye shadows, it would have worked too, but I rarely see that done well with kid photos, simply because they cannot express it properly.

Upvote 0