November Super Moon

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi CanonFanBoy.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, calendar reminder set, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Cheers, Graham.

CanonFanBoy said:
For all the moonscape folks out there the super moon in November is supposed to be the biggest in 70 years. (I couldn't find an astro board to post this in):

http://earthsky.org/?p=190918

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Valvebounce said:
Hi CanonFanBoy.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, calendar reminder set, hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Cheers, Graham.

CanonFanBoy said:
For all the moonscape folks out there the super moon in November is supposed to be the biggest in 70 years. (I couldn't find an astro board to post this in):

Does this mean at moon rise or all night?

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi CanonFanBoy.

Cheers, Graham.

CanonFanBoy said:

It should be bright right through the night of 13th and fullest around 0845 on November 14th morning {assuming you are on EST}. The night of November 14th should also be a nice moon should you miss out on the previous night. Let's hope the weather co-operates.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi CanonFanBoy.
I'm not sure, I'm going to assume that it will be closest all night, and hope that the weather stays clear all night, both nights.

Cheers, Graham.

CanonFanBoy said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi CanonFanBoy.

Cheers, Graham.

CanonFanBoy said:

Upvote 0
I shot the moon last night (11/13/16) close to the horizon, but was disappointed with the sharpness of the images. I used my 5DsR with 300 f/2.8 and 1.4xIII extender on a tripod, live view remote shutter, etc. The image below was shot at f/4 1/320 ISO 160, but tried other shutter speeds and apertures with roughly the same results. The lack of sharpness may have been due to atmospheric haze since it was fairly close to the horizon.

I plan to shoot it again tonight in a better setting (hopefully reflecting off a pond if the wind is still and sky clear). Can others share their camera settings that have worked well in the past?

Attachments

• 2F5A0106-2.jpg
    2F5A0106-2.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0
bholliman said:
I shot the moon last night (11/13/16) close to the horizon, but was disappointed with the sharpness of the images. I used my 5DsR with 300 f/2.8 and 1.4xIII extender on a tripod, live view remote shutter, etc. The image below was shot at f/4 1/320 ISO 160, but tried other shutter speeds and apertures with roughly the same results. The lack of sharpness may have been due to atmospheric haze since it was fairly close to the horizon.

I plan to shoot it again tonight in a better setting (hopefully reflecting off a pond if the wind is still and sky clear). Can others share their camera settings that have worked well in the past?

I typically use f/8 - f/11, ISO 100 and spot metering, which have worked well for me. You're essentially shooting the sun, reflected off the moon - a light source, if you will.

I found somewhere the "Lunar 11 (or looney 11) rule" that is similar to the "Sunny 16 rule". I just play with the exposure in Manual mode and tweak the sharpness a touch as needed. I use the 10 second timer, mirror lock up, on a tripod with IS turned off.

Hope that helps.
Greg

Upvote 0