now, that the rebel is out...mi hypothesis for a next lap. what ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2010
the schedule you laid out certainly sounds extremely reasonable and plausible. I would not be surprised to see if the 5DIII actually moves into the Q3 2012 spot and the 7DII go to the Q1 2013. I assume by "1Ds Mk IV or whatever" you are leaving open the possibility as well that the 1D lines merge at that point.

I know everyone wants to see updates all the time but the fact is that the technology is reaching a mature phase and there just isn't the better-by-leaps-and-bounds advancement that we saw from, say, 2003 to 2008.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
I've been trying to figure out for a while now if the 5D3 would be announced before the 1Ds. I think with all the rumor about Canon changing up the 1Ds and 5D series it's hard to tell. But I think the 1Ds4 will come first this year followed by the 5D3. That's a good call.

I would possibly bump the 5D3 into Q3-4 2011 but other than that I think that's pretty good.

I wouldn't expect a 7D2 before Q4 2012 either. At least I hope not. I just bought a 7D.

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

pedro said:
1 Ds Mk II: Q2 2004, 1 Ds MK III: Q2 2007, 1 Ds MkIV or whatever: Q3 2011

5D Mk II: Q2 2008, 5D MkIII: Q1 2012

Let's see a link with this information: (bottom of page) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_%28company%29

The cycle for 1D2 and 5D was 3 years, so how did you come up with Q1 2012?

Moreover, there was a news a while back that in the current business context, Canon intends to move shorten their production cycles with half a year.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
@NotABunny:

You are right with the 5D cycle. But as there is a curent discussion on an 1Ds IV or whatever they will merge it to, that is kind of overdue I just take the guess, a 5D upgrade for not cannibalizing 1Ds sales in any form is likely to be postponed for 2012.

But anyway...that's a rumor site. So take my thinking with a grain salt. Either of us gonna be okay and maybe even right, once the mythical upgrades materialize. Happy weekend and fire your frames away. Over here in Switzerland its all sunny and bright for now and for tomorrow as well... ;-) Regards. Peter

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
NotABunny said:
Moreover, there was a news a while back that in the current business context, Canon intends to move shorten their production cycles with half a year.

notabunny, could you supply the source for that? I find that statement a little strange, because it appears that canon is moving toward lengthening their production cycles, and the business environment supports that as well.

why accelerate expenditure in r+d and manufacturing during a recession when you can keep churning out oldie-but-goodie models like the 5DII and still make money off of them?

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

kubelik said:
NotABunny said:

notabunny, could you supply the source for that? I find that statement a little strange, because it appears that canon is moving toward lengthening their production cycles, and the business environment supports that as well.

why accelerate expenditure in r+d and manufacturing during a recession when you can keep churning out oldie-but-goodie models like the 5DII and still make money off of them?

It was posted by CR guy, maybe about a year ago or so. I don't know how to search the news of this website, but I'll try.

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

kubelik said:
NotABunny said:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/02/5d-mark-iii-cr1/

(By the way, 5D2 was announced 17 September 2008: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkII.asp)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.