ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 - Release Notes

ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 Release Notes

Version 2018.5 (12.5.0.5544)

Release Notes

June 19th, 2018

Welcome ON1 Users!

ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 includes the essential tools and features every photographer needs in their workflow. Our super fast, non-destructive, and state-of-the-art processing engine gives you an ultra smooth and efficient editing experience. ON1 Photo RAW is focused on allowing you to get the most out of every photo. Photographers now have a tool with fast photo management, hundreds of customizable photo effects, fast and beautiful HDR, panos, masking and selection tools, layers, and much more—in one app.

https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001800631

IT's Finally HERE!

This is the latest version, I'm downloading and updating my previous version now.

Has any one else been using this?

I've processed several images in the last few days and it does feel a little bit faster and runs a bit smoother.

I still have LR but have been using ON1 only for the last 8 weeks or so, basically testing myself to see if I no longer actually need LR. So far I haven't even opened LR in almost 8wks, I think ON1 could possibly work for me as a stand alone editor....(I most likely will not renew my LR subscription).

This latest update to ON1 is not a majestic leap forward but it does seem to be working better.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Durf said:

I've processed several images in the last few days and it does feel a little bit faster and runs a bit smoother.

I still have LR but have been using ON1 only for the last 8 weeks or so, basically testing myself to see if I no longer actually need LR. So far I haven't even opened LR in almost 8wks, I think ON1 could possibly work for me as a stand alone editor....(I most likely will not renew my LR subscription).

This latest update to ON1 is not a majestic leap forward but it does seem to be working better.
I think that different editing software matches specific needs for many different photographers. I absolutely hate sidecar files, for example, so I refuse to use software that forces them on you.
Secondly is file management, only software with a database/catalog can do this. Even some simple inexpensive software like ACDsee comes with a file management database. I believe ON1 has added some capability this way too.

I've found Adobe Lightroom Mobile to be great, When traveling, I transfer images to my iphone, cull them, and it syncs them to the could where they are available to me in Adobe Lightroom Classic, and, of course, I can post them to online sites as well. They keep upgrading the App, its a lot more powerful than it was originally.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Durf said:

I think that different editing software matches specific needs for many different photographers. I absolutely hate sidecar files, for example, so I refuse to use software that forces them on you.
Secondly is file management, only software with a database/catalog can do this. Even some simple inexpensive software like ACDsee comes with a file management database. I believe ON1 has added some capability this way too.

I've found Adobe Lightroom Mobile to be great, When traveling, I transfer images to my iphone, cull them, and it syncs them to the could where they are available to me in Adobe Lightroom Classic, and, of course, I can post them to online sites as well. They keep upgrading the App, its a lot more powerful than it was originally.

ON1's got a lot better with the file management and now imports can be renamed, presets and meta data added etc., although it's all done on the drive and not in a separate catalog like lightroom's.

I also like how in ON1 you can just switch modules and start doing masking and layers etc as in LR you have to go through a process to send the file to Photoshop and then back to LR usually. Yes photoshop is much more powerful but ON1 seems to be capable of doing what I need to do and then some.

I never use my phone for anything when it comes to editing but only my laptop at home. I like to sit down at a desk with a large screen, just a personal preference; besides, my eyes aren't what they used to be! ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Durf said:
I never use my phone for anything when it comes to editing but only my laptop at home. I like to sit down at a desk with a large screen, just a personal preference; besides, my eyes aren't what they used to be! ;)
I've said that same thing, but lightroom mobile has become good enough to do edits suitable for posting images to social groups. Then, I do a more complete edit when I get home. The lightroom auto adjust feature hits the right adjustment most of the time now, even with difficult photos. I do tweak it eventually, of course, but it is very close.
My eyesight definitely suffers with old age, 70 is far in the rear view mirror.

Upvote 0