ON1 Photo RAW 2019 – An All-New Photo Editing Experience Now Available

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Portland, OR – November 13, 2018 – ON1, Inc announces that ON1 Photo RAW 2019, an all-new photo editing experience and a major upgrade to ON1 Photo RAW, is available today. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes all-new features and technologies along with a streamlined workflow that is elegant, powerful and easy to learn. Notable new features include a new non-destructive workflow for layers, auto-alignment of layers, focus stacking, a new portrait tab, a new text tool, new digital asset management updates and more. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 includes the tools photographers need in a single well thought out photography workflow application.
Download a free trial of ON1 Photo RAW 2019
This all-new photo editing experience gives photographers the features they use the most from the Adobe® Lightroom® and Photoshop® worlds in a single application. ON1 Photo RAW 2019 also includes a significant enhancement to the...

Continue reading...

Sep 10, 2018
mhm..... they try a lot with the UI but i still don´t like it.
and for RAW conversion i would rather recommend switching to capture one from LR not to photo raw.
and the subscription price (ON1 Plus Pro )... well i take photoshop each day over this when i rent soft on a subscription plan anyway.
make that subscription 89$ and it may becomes and option beside photoshop. it sure would not replace PS for me.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
mhm..... they try a lot with the UI but i still don´t like it.
and for RAW conversion i would rather recommend switching to capture one from LR not to photo raw.
and the subscription price (ON1 Plus Pro )... well i take photoshop each day over this when i rent soft on a subscription plan anyway.
make that subscription 89$ and it may becomes and option beside photoshop. it sure would not replace PS for me.

I need to correct you on one BIG thing here.
The On1 RAW application is NOT SUBSCRIPTION based like Adobe CC.

You buy the license ONE TIME and you can use it into perpetuity. They also seem to put out several free updates throughout the year....

There is a program you CAN subscribe to, that gives you access to classes and extra content, additional presets, etc It does also entitle you to early beta and then a free copy of the next years release, but you do NOT have to purchase this.

Again, you buy it and "own" it like Adobe used to do before subscription model.

This is a a BIG reason I bought into On1 RAW as a Lightroom replacement when they switched LR to be subscription only.

So far, I have enjoyed On1 RAW....the raw translator seems good to me...last year they added in the cataloging database (if you choose to use it), and it seems to work well for me for importing and throwing backups to my NAS when I import.

I really have enjoyed the power that the luminance and other masking tools give in a RAW workflow, and it appears with the 2019 edition, they have now also moved Layers into the RAW workflow.

I've just downloaded this and am looking forward to experimenting with it.

I'm not 100% fanboi of the software yet....I'm hoping, for instance they have put a profile in there for my Canon 11-24 L lens. This has been missing to date.

Also, on my macbook pro (late 2011), I found the On1RAW at times would bog down and I'd have to restart from time to time. This may also be due to me still running Yosemite.....

I'm hoping after first of year to get an iMac Pro, and hoping that will address bogging down on all my programs, but just a heads up there were some issues with the 2018 version of ON1. I'm hoping that is addressed in 2019.

I will say that On1 support is very helpful and responsive...I had one problem on 2018, and they actually gave me a link to a working version they had that wasn't released yet and that fixed my problems.

I was impressed with that.

Anyway, if you are wanting to get away from the Adobe *rental* mode of things, give On1 a look. The masking and now full layer workflow while 100% RAW....is very compelling.

For heavy duty lifting...I use Affinity Photo as my PS replacement, and so far, I've had no complaints.

Anyway, give this a look if you do NOT wish to do the subscription model.

HTH,

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
The On1 RAW application is NOT SUBSCRIPTION based like Adobe CC.

you missunderstood what i was saying.

i never said there is ONLY subscription for photo raw.

but i compared the price of the subscription they do offer (ON1 Plus Pro) to that of adobes LR+PS subscription.
and for that subscription plan i came to the conclusion that it makes no sense for me, compared to the PS+LR subscription.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
he's not entirely wrong or right. I bought 2018.5.. and yes it is in perpetuity.. but they soon went and said 2019 is out soon (it's still 2018!!!!) and wanted more $ for it. They gave a discount, but it really is bordering on subscription if you want to get updates for any length of time.. given it's still a bit rough around the edges, I don't think it was terribly fair. I did end up paying yet again for 2019 and it ... just doesn't seem that much more than 2018 and some of my beefs still seem to be there.

Having said that ...

I do think it's a viable LR alternative now. Noise processing, camera profiles and shadow pulling are better in LR.. and there are some weird areas like lack of history for undo and its a pain in the neck to have things default to certain values (like the default crop settings)..and their highlights/white level bars really don't act very usefully,.

but it's ahead in many other ways and requires re-learning certain things. The built in layering and masking is way ahead of LR and takes some of the most useful bits of PS and rolls into a single product.. and the effects modules are powerful, each can be used essentially like a layer and turned off or tweaked individually making history less needed. Many of the shortcomings I mentioned above can be overcome with the effects module and some learning... After putzing about for a few weeks with it I feel I can now more or less retire LR...except for really low light stuff which requires a heavier recovery.

btw 2019 seems to now be able to process PSD and .xmp settings and import stuff from LR.. noticed it picked things up from my folders. There are ways now to path to it.

If you're looking to get out of subscription, I'd recommend it, but be aware they don't support each version terribly long.. a shame given they still have a bit of maturing to do.

I have LR6 and refuse to go subscription with Adobe or with On1.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The good news is they are listening to suggestions if you'll take the time to make the written submission and they know they'll have to improve various things and are showing a determination to do so. If it's continuing to be lacking and they are continuing to be looking for me to treat it as an unending update, which is a subscription, then they'll lose me in the not too distant future.

On the other hand there isn't software of any sort that doesn't keep updating to keep their cash flow going. It seems a necessary evil. It's like they never make it all right cause then there will be nothing to suck you in with!:(

Hopefully it'll soon be adequate enough for me to stop updating it yearly. At least whatever I have, I have, if I stop.

Jack

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I agree.. need to support developers to put out good products, just wish its was a bit longer you got support without forking more $.

I did put out some suggestions... its weird they have a few weird confusing ways to reach them. The splash page (maybe in beta?) had a way that was cumbersome.. required a lot of computer data I wasn't comfortable running and sharing. There are the forums, but hard to figure out where to find and post... and there is via your account.. which is how I did it, but .. we'll see.

I want to be clear.. its a decent product, just ... some things could be polished. I also have Serif Aperture.. decent product too, but too much like PS.. high learning curve I don't want to get into except for a few minor things (merging star trails for example... works well!)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Share Your Ideas

I haven't posted requests here recently so forget the steps but it is possible to make your request and it gets graded and hopefully it's popular and gets implented. What I asked for was sliders that didn't require finger pressure on the mouse to slide them. In other words click first and use the mouse wheel. I thought that was coming but don't know for sure at this moment.

https://www.on1.com/products/photo-...W_Avail&utm_source=RAW-Plus&utm_content=email

Jack

Upvote 0
I've used ON1 extensively since its inception. I think it does a fine job as a RAW editor. I used Lightroom for years and at least for my purposes ON1 works just as well. The UI is fine. I find no issue with it. I did use Capture One for a month on a trial basis. I liked that as well, although I saw no advantages over ON1. I do use Capture One Express for Fuji because sharpening Fuji files can be problematic and C1 seems to do a good job with them. I also like its ability to restore highlights. Overall, however, I use DXO PhotoLab 2 with my Canon files as my primary RAW editor. I'm not in the photography business and I have gobs of time to fiddle around with various software programmes.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Ugh....
I didn't read the requirements....and I installed On1 RAW 2019, and had it un-install 2018 (why would I want to keep both versions??).

Well, I fired it up and it told me On1 RAW didn't work with my version of OS X. I'm still on Yosemite.....so, I guess time to upgrade.

BUT, before that, I've had to get time machine working again, as that I want a full backup before upgrading OS X major versions....

Anyway....is a PITA, but I've been waiting till I finished a couple projects before I tried upgrading and potentially hitting a problem.

Hmm..guess this means I'll be upgrading and learning the latest version of FCPX too, as that it had a major upgrade awhile back, but required newer version of OS X.

C

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Share Your Ideas

I haven't posted requests here recently so forget the steps but it is possible to make your request and it gets graded and hopefully it's popular and gets implented. What I asked for was sliders that didn't require finger pressure on the mouse to slide them. In other words click first and use the mouse wheel. I thought that was coming but don't know for sure at this moment.

https://www.on1.com/products/photo-...W_Avail&utm_source=RAW-Plus&utm_content=email

Jack

thanks.. that is one of the methods I'd stumbled upon, but again.. seemed buried at the time. Search for Noise... almost 20 individual suggestions and high ratings.. so not alone... hope we see some results. Fantastic product, just falls a bit short on this.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Ugh....
I didn't read the requirements....and I installed On1 RAW 2019, and had it un-install 2018 (why would I want to keep both versions??).

Well, I fired it up and it told me On1 RAW didn't work with my version of OS X. I'm still on Yosemite.....so, I guess time to upgrade.

BUT, before that, I've had to get time machine working again, as that I want a full backup before upgrading OS X major versions....

Anyway....is a PITA, but I've been waiting till I finished a couple projects before I tried upgrading and potentially hitting a problem.

Hmm..guess this means I'll be upgrading and learning the latest version of FCPX too, as that it had a major upgrade awhile back, but required newer version of OS X.

C

was going to tease you about reading the min requirements... and realized I hadn't bothered either.. considered it an update. Thankfully for me no o/s or hardware upgrades required.

Upvote 0
Ugh....

C

I had PR2019 over-write and replace PR2018 a few nights ago and everything seemed to be AWESOME until I tried to export a few images. Obviously the 2019 version is still buggy in the export dept. as they are aware. 2019 is basically unusable for me right now. I submitted a ticket and then I had to re-install 2018.5 so I could keep processing images. ON1 is also not backward compatible as all my images I processed in the 2019 version are not processed now in the 2018 reinstalled version (sucks)!

Regardless, I love ON1 and use it as a standalone and can't wait for this issue I'm having with the 2019 version to be resolved as it totally looks better than the 2018 version.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I had PR2019 over-write and replace PR2018 a few nights ago and everything seemed to be AWESOME until I tried to export a few images. Obviously the 2019 version is still buggy in the export dept. as they are aware. 2019 is basically unusable for me right now. I submitted a ticket and then I had to re-install 2018.5 so I could keep processing images. ON1 is also not backward compatible as all my images I processed in the 2019 version are not processed now in the 2018 reinstalled version (sucks)!

Regardless, I love ON1 and use it as a standalone and can't wait for this issue I'm having with the 2019 version to be resolved as it totally looks better than the 2018 version.

OH, that's interesting!!
Please update us on how your problem gets resolved!!

I had to jump through some hoops in preparation for upgrading OS X so that I can use On1 RAW 2019......(backups and such)....

I hope to upgrade today and give it a try later this afternoon.

C

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Well, I'm unlikely to switch from PS/LR unless a RAW processor is clearly superior, simply because PS is an application I can't go without, and the PS/LR bundle is cheaper than any way I have ever bought photoshop before that, even when I have skipped the odd version. That's not even including the free second install.

Just too many clients and partners use PSDs to make any other bitmap editor a realistic option, and the way it's priced, lightroom is free.

For nearly all work stuff (product photography) I dont even use LR - I import the RAWs right into photoshop with ACR. I do find LR good for my hobby photography though.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Well, I'm unlikely to switch from PS/LR unless a RAW processor is clearly superior, simply because PS is an application I can't go without, and the PS/LR bundle is cheaper than any way I have ever bought photoshop before that, even when I have skipped the odd version. That's not even including the free second install.

Just too many clients and partners use PSDs to make any other bitmap editor a realistic option, and the way it's priced, lightroom is free.

For nearly all work stuff (product photography) I dont even use LR - I import the RAWs right into photoshop with ACR. I do find LR good for my hobby photography though.

On1 can process PSD files now.. and seems to be the default file scheme for layers.. but how compatible it is I don't know.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

I ran into an export issue as well in the beta... couldn't figure out how to get out of it, but I think I managed to reset all my export conditions and the image causing the issue to fix it. Unfortunately I was just happy to fix it and don't recall the specific steps

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
On1 can process PSD files now.. and seems to be the default file scheme for layers.. but how compatible it is I don't know.
The issue isn't processing PSD files, it's editing them. Until there is a viable alternative to PS (that graphics artists accept), I'm pretty much stuck with PhotoShop. A simple example of what a customer will want is the subject cut out and supplied against a transparent background. Of course, you can just supply this in PNG, but if a client wants it in PSD, photoshop is just a better tool (usually).

It is kind of like AI vs CDR. I far prefer Corel, but, whatever... if isn't worth the effort to protest. Just give 'em what they want.

Upvote 0