ON1 Photo RAW 2019 – An All-New Photo Editing Experience Now Available

OH, that's interesting!!
Please update us on how your problem gets resolved!!

I had to jump through some hoops in preparation for upgrading OS X so that I can use On1 RAW 2019......(backups and such)....

I hope to upgrade today and give it a try later this afternoon.

C

They are aware of the issue with export and hopefully will have a fix/patch for it with the next update. It seems to be exporting a bit better from being in browse rather than develop etc. Still slow like it was in PR2018 but working none the less. Seems to be a few other little bugs here and there but once they dial PR2019 in it's going to be quite an awesome program. Some people are not having issues at all but of course I am!!! LOL figures! ;)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The issue isn't processing PSD files, it's editing them. Until there is a viable alternative to PS (that graphics artists accept), I'm pretty much stuck with PhotoShop. A simple example of what a customer will want is the subject cut out and supplied against a transparent background. Of course, you can just supply this in PNG, but if a client wants it in PSD, photoshop is just a better tool (usually).

It is kind of like AI vs CDR. I far prefer Corel, but, whatever... if isn't worth the effort to protest. Just give 'em what they want.

I use Affinity Photo as my Photoshop replacement...it works with PSDs.

They have a free trial, give it a look!!

Right now, I"m using AP and On1 as my PS/LR replacement......and no *rental* of the software.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I use Affinity Photo as my Photoshop replacement...it works with PSDs.

They have a free trial, give it a look!!

Right now, I"m using AP and On1 as my PS/LR replacement......and no *rental* of the software.

I've also been trying to use Affinity with ON1 and for me I just do not like switching programs mid edit, I totally prefer just using one program.
It's looking like ON1 2019's new layers workflow may just allow me to forget all about Affinity once and for all.....

I'm not a pro nor really do much extreme photoshop type of edits but I think PR2019 can handle it all for me now. PR2018 was pretty much all I needed but 2019 looks even more capable for an Adobe Photoshop replacement for us serious but non-pro photographers (even certain pro's can get by with ON1 2019 in my opinion).

I think I'm finally done using more than one program and going to use PR2019 for everything now. If I run in to something it can't do, oh well, I just won't do it ;)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've also been trying to use Affinity with ON1 and for me I just do not like switching programs mid edit, I totally prefer just using one program.
It's looking like ON1 2019's new layers workflow may just allow me to forget all about Affinity once and for all.....

I'm not a pro nor really do much extreme photoshop type of edits but I think PR2019 can handle it all for me now. PR2018 was pretty much all I needed but 2019 looks even more capable for an Adobe Photoshop replacement for us serious but non-pro photographers (even certain pro's can get by with ON1 2019 in my opinion).

I think I'm finally done using more than one program and going to use PR2019 for everything now. If I run in to something it can't do, oh well, I just won't do it ;)

I"m treating On1 RAW much like I treated LR.

I use it for probably 98% of all my needs. I use Affinity Photo like I used PS....for really heavy lifting....for extreme compositing, or really delicate cutting out/masking (like fine hair, etc).....

Now, if you do use PS/LR, it is a bit more smooth going between the two, especially since you can do smart objects in PS that hook directly back into the RAW files in LR with the develop settings.

And I've found that On1 does work pretty good with panos, but I've had some that just wouldn't work there and I had to use the more powerful Affinity Photo engine for some tough panos and focus stacking.

But again....I use AP like I used PS...msotly just for projects that really need heavy lifting......but for most 'normal' image processing, I can use On1 which is the same role I used LR.

Just my $0.02,

Cayenne

Upvote 0
I"m treating On1 RAW much like I treated LR.

I use it for probably 98% of all my needs. I use Affinity Photo like I used PS....for really heavy lifting....for extreme compositing, or really delicate cutting out/masking (like fine hair, etc).....

Now, if you do use PS/LR, it is a bit more smooth going between the two, especially since you can do smart objects in PS that hook directly back into the RAW files in LR with the develop settings.

And I've found that On1 does work pretty good with panos, but I've had some that just wouldn't work there and I had to use the more powerful Affinity Photo engine for some tough panos and focus stacking.

But again....I use AP like I used PS...msotly just for projects that really need heavy lifting......but for most 'normal' image processing, I can use On1 which is the same role I used LR.

Just my $0.02,

Cayenne

Hi, have you been using PR2019?????

I've been having nothing but problems with it since it was released, several re-installs, several support tickets etc etc. It's basically useless on my machine yet PR2018.5 runs nearly flawlessly. It just locks up and crashes etc. Can't get through an edit without it doing something wrong and losing my work!

I'm still trying to get support to figure this out but I'm about to just give up on PR2019 and continue using 2018. SUCKS!!!!

You'd think it would work at least half way decent on my machine when 2018 does.......

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi, have you been using PR2019?????

I've been having nothing but problems with it since it was released, several re-installs, several support tickets etc etc. It's basically useless on my machine yet PR2018.5 runs nearly flawlessly. It just locks up and crashes etc. Can't get through an edit without it doing something wrong and losing my work!

I'm still trying to get support to figure this out but I'm about to just give up on PR2019 and continue using 2018. SUCKS!!!!

You'd think it would work at least half way decent on my machine when 2018 does.......

Wow...that's very interesting.

I've had the opposite experience so far....

I was actually getting ready to post an update here about the 2019 version. One thing it seems to have addressed on my old computer, is it seems significantly sped up.

I can now use my wacom tablet and pen with it and it moves smooth without the lagging that I got from the 2018 versions.
Also most other uses seems smooth and quick and fluid, compared to my experience at times with the 2018.

What computer and OS are you using?

I have an old late 2011 MacBook Pro. I've maxed it out with 16GB RAM. I upgraded the internal drive with a samsung SSD, and I work most of my images stored on an external thunderbolt to SATA spinning disk, and have a thunderbolt to SATA unit holding a SSD for my cache.

Also, I downloaded the 2019 version, not realizing that my version of OSX (Yosimite) was not going to work and I had to do an upgrade to High Sierra in order to get On1 RAW 2019 to install.

As far as drawbacks....

I found that the focus stacking is till a bit wanting....I didn't like the images at all on the On1 render and ended up sending my exposure to PS (my old version of CS6) to focus stack for a project I was working on.

I have found one complaint...that the cataloging search function isn't working for me as I expected. I have all my shots for the year in a 2018 directory on my external drive. I have this as a cataloged folder.

I have gone through my Jazzfest shots from last year and marked them in blue label as my 'hero' shots.

I click the 2018 folder, and in filters (browse mode), I select the blue label...and NOTHING shows up. I've opened a support ticket with them.

But goodness, I've not experienced anything like you have!!!
:(

One funny thing about my install. I actually installed and told it to UN-install my 2018 version....but apparently it did not uninstall it, as the the other day in finder I typed in ON1 and I didn't notice the auto-complete had chosen 2018 instead of 2019.

So far, I've found them to be pretty good in quick customer service and response. Please keep us up to date on what happens here with you.

Again, curious, what type of hardware and OS are you running?

Thanks in advance,

C

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Thanks for update, following the product closer now. I did open a ticket on the noise reduction, especially with blues. I gave them an original RAW and a basic Landscape profile translation without edits of the RAW via DPP, LR and ON1 and showed how much noisier ON1 was. Seemed to hint a new version was coming out in a month that might address it, though not holding my breath.

I still find it can't handle noise or bring up shadows quite as well as LR, but overall still a decent product.. enough that I process about 90% of my images on it now.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for update, following the product closer now. I did open a ticket on the noise reduction, especially with blues. I gave them an original RAW and a basic Landscape profile translation without edits of the RAW via DPP, LR and ON1 and showed how much noisier ON1 was. Seemed to hint a new version was coming out in a month that might address it, though not holding my breath.

I still find it can't handle noise or bring up shadows quite as well as LR, but overall still a decent product.. enough that I process about 90% of my images on it now.

Oh cool!!
Thanks for YOUR update too!! I've not had much problem with noise so far on mine (although likely I have some and should look closer at fixing it).

Can you post your example here and show what you told them, etc? that might prove helpful here too!!

TIA,

cayenne

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Oh cool!!
Thanks for YOUR update too!! I've not had much problem with noise so far on mine (although likely I have some and should look closer at fixing it).

Can you post your example here and show what you told them, etc? that might prove helpful here too!!

TIA,

cayenne
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/168165
I'll try to find the files when I get a chance.

files are too large to attach with a direct conversion.. .suggestions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow...that's very interesting.

I've had the opposite experience so far....

I was actually getting ready to post an update here about the 2019 version. One thing it seems to have addressed on my old computer, is it seems significantly sped up.

I can now use my wacom tablet and pen with it and it moves smooth without the lagging that I got from the 2018 versions.
Also most other uses seems smooth and quick and fluid, compared to my experience at times with the 2018.

What computer and OS are you using?

I have an old late 2011 MacBook Pro. I've maxed it out with 16GB RAM. I upgraded the internal drive with a samsung SSD, and I work most of my images stored on an external thunderbolt to SATA spinning disk, and have a thunderbolt to SATA unit holding a SSD for my cache.

Also, I downloaded the 2019 version, not realizing that my version of OSX (Yosimite) was not going to work and I had to do an upgrade to High Sierra in order to get On1 RAW 2019 to install.

As far as drawbacks....

I found that the focus stacking is till a bit wanting....I didn't like the images at all on the On1 render and ended up sending my exposure to PS (my old version of CS6) to focus stack for a project I was working on.

I have found one complaint...that the cataloging search function isn't working for me as I expected. I have all my shots for the year in a 2018 directory on my external drive. I have this as a cataloged folder.

I have gone through my Jazzfest shots from last year and marked them in blue label as my 'hero' shots.

I click the 2018 folder, and in filters (browse mode), I select the blue label...and NOTHING shows up. I've opened a support ticket with them.

But goodness, I've not experienced anything like you have!!!

One funny thing about my install. I actually installed and told it to UN-install my 2018 version....but apparently it did not uninstall it, as the the other day in finder I typed in ON1 and I didn't notice the auto-complete had chosen 2018 instead of 2019.

So far, I've found them to be pretty good in quick customer service and response. Please keep us up to date on what happens here with you.

Again, curious, what type of hardware and OS are you running?

Thanks in advance,

C

I'm using a 2 year old Intel5 HP Pavillion Laptop w/windows 10

Support sent me a newer PR2019 test build and it seems to be working alright for the time being. Support is quite fast and awesome with ON1.

They told me they'll release the updated PR2019 Version any day now (before Christmas). It's suppose to have a few new features and some bug/glitch fixes.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I'm using a 2 year old Intel5 HP Pavillion Laptop w/windows 10

Support sent me a newer PR2019 test build and it seems to be working alright for the time being. Support is quite fast and awesome with ON1.

They told me they'll release the updated PR2019 Version any day now (before Christmas). It's suppose to have a few new features and some bug/glitch fixes.

Ok, glad to hear that. I ran into a problem with the 2018 on my previously described older MBP...and they too gave me an early release copy of ON1 that was in progress to be released and it too helped my situation then.

It is bad that this has to be done, BUT....I do find it great that a company actually WILL do this for their customers!!!

It's getting there, I'm pretty happy so far......I'm anxious to find time to play with their new RAW layers workflow when I have some time and a project to test it with....

C

Upvote 0
Ok, glad to hear that. I ran into a problem with the 2018 on my previously described older MBP...and they too gave me an early release copy of ON1 that was in progress to be released and it too helped my situation then.

It is bad that this has to be done, BUT....I do find it great that a company actually WILL do this for their customers!!!

It's getting there, I'm pretty happy so far......I'm anxious to find time to play with their new RAW layers workflow when I have some time and a project to test it with....

C

I've had several instances of performance and stability issues with ON1 since I started using PR2017, but their support team has always pulled through for me in a really amazing way and quite quickly. Regardless of the issues, I absolutely love the program and in the last 6 months or so I haven't used anything else and On1 is my go to stand alone processor. This 2019 version looks very promising! They are suppose to do a large update before spring and I think they're gonna do some type of AI editing enhancements, among some other intense improvements/additions.

I think I'm actually using the last test build before they release their update in the next few days. My copy has a few minor bugs that need to be fixed, most I can work around but there's one in local adjustments that's been really a pain in the neck not having working correctly. Also their catalog folders feature I've never been able to use without it majorly affecting my machines and the softwares performance. Hopefully the next major update in a couple of months will allow me to use catalog folders again.....no biggy though, I've found a work around for that too.

All in all, ON1 Photo Raw is an awesome program in my opinion.....

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
might be sooner than spring... one of their guys when they answered my issue above indicated this month.

James (on1)

Dec 6, 14:59 PST

Hello,

I apologize for the miscommunication and for the delay in response. Thank you for including this information. I have linked your ticket and have escalated this problem to our Engineering team for further investigation. We are committed to resolving these types of problems in future free updates. The first free update will be sent to all Photo Raw 2019 owners automatically as soon as it is available later this month. I apologize for this inconvenience, if there is anything else I can do for you please reply to this email.

James
QA & Technical Support Manager

files as samples will have to come later.. I can't attach here, too large and I generally avoid google or one drive... but may have to sometimes.

Upvote 0
might be sooner than spring... one of their guys when they answered my issue above indicated this month.

James (on1)

Dec 6, 14:59 PST

Hello,

I apologize for the miscommunication and for the delay in response. Thank you for including this information. I have linked your ticket and have escalated this problem to our Engineering team for further investigation. We are committed to resolving these types of problems in future free updates. The first free update will be sent to all Photo Raw 2019 owners automatically as soon as it is available later this month. I apologize for this inconvenience, if there is anything else I can do for you please reply to this email.

James
QA & Technical Support Manager

files as samples will have to come later.. I can't attach here, too large and I generally avoid google or one drive... but may have to sometimes.

Yes, this is a free update with bug fixes etc that will be released in the next few days (before Christmas); They'll be a rather larger update following that I've heard will be before spring.

2 updates total that I am aware of.....

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Darn....

Well, I just found out something that was very disappointing.
I was preparing to get LR ready to be migrated to ON1 with the new 'AI" they have now.....and just found out, that it ONLY works for LR version 6.1 and higher....

I can't believe they aren't doing ti for LR5 at least, which is where I stayed at.

*sigh*

REALLY disappointed by this.....I would have to think there would be plenty enough people out there that stopped at LR5 for them to at least include this version in their highly touted migration program.

cayenne

Upvote 0
Darn....

Well, I just found out something that was very disappointing.
I was preparing to get LR ready to be migrated to ON1 with the new 'AI" they have now.....and just found out, that it ONLY works for LR version 6.1 and higher....

I can't believe they aren't doing ti for LR5 at least, which is where I stayed at.

*sigh*

REALLY disappointed by this.....I would have to think there would be plenty enough people out there that stopped at LR5 for them to at least include this version in their highly touted migration program.

cayenne

I would of never thought you couldn't migrate LR5......

I never did migrate my Lightroom catalog to ON1. I spent several days if not weeks converting most of my edited images in Lightroom to full Jpegs and my portfolio and best images to tiffs. All my original RAW files are where they were on an external drive (s).

My lightroom catalogs are all saved on an external drive if I ever for some unknown reason go back to using lightroom (which I highly doubt).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Upvote 0