Only Left Channel recording in Canon 6D

I have a Canon 6d with which I want to record interviews. I have a simple $20 wired collar mic, that I attach to the camera and did the test shoot.

There are two problems:
1. There is only recording in the left audio channel
2. There is too much of hiss sound.

Recording with the in-built mic works fine, but i do not want to record with the internal mic.

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
pashminu said:
I have a simple $20 wired collar mic, that I attach to the camera and did the test shoot. There are two problems:

"Working" mics don't come cheap concerning audio quality. If yours is only recording one channel it's either broken or mono only? That's my 2ct as I'm very seldom doing video, and even less seldom with external audio. Do note that some types of artifacts can be removed in post-processing with an audio filter.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Hi,
Most likely is your mic problem as I also encounter similar issue... Get a better mic... make sure you get a stereo mic if you want both channel to have sound.

Anyway, a lot of low cost mic is mono mic, so only one channel had sound... you can use video editing software to duplicate the sound to the other channel in post.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
For interview you probably do not need stereo anyway. What software are you using to put the video together? Have you tried combining channels, so that your one channel becomes mono over the two speakers?

If you want to do audio properly I would recommend investing in a good pair of mics and something like the Tascam DR-60D.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Look at the 3.5mm jack. There will probably only be one black ring around it. This means it is a mono mic.

Perfectly normal for lavalier type mics.

If you remove the right channel in post you will remove the hiss. You can use the pan control to bring the interview audio across both channels (dual mono if you like)

Audio is complex, and expensive.

I have connecting cables that cost more than your mic, and mics that cost more than any of my cameras.

I don't say this for brinksmanship or to be condescending, just to make the point that audio will kill your films before the video does and that its probably worth spending a bit more money to get your audio anywhere near as nice as the pictures that most cameras are capable of.

Upvote 0