Optyczne has analysed the R6 II

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Optyczne.pl, the mother site of lenstip, is one of my favourite sites as it does rigorous measurements on bodies and sensors, AF etc. The R6 II has scored very highly on AF accuracy, and its sensor resolution is good https://www.optyczne.pl/index.html?test=aparat&test_ap=485 It appears to have no low pass filter in the vertical direction and a weakened one in the horizontal. The result is that its 24 Mpx sensor outresolves the 30 Mpx 5DIV, which has very strong low-pass filters, but at the expense of some Moire. I know from experience that the 5DIV's resolution suffers to get rid of any Moire. The R5 also asymmetric low-pass filtering but in tens of thousands of my bird photos I have never seen any Moire in the feathers.

Reactions: 5 users

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This site lost their credibility few years back once they told they wont test RF lenses.
You don’t lose credibility for testing camera bodies because you don’t test lenses. They actually used RF lenses in their resolution and AF tests. One thing about the site is that the comments are the rudest I’ve ever in seen camera forums.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
…The result is that its 24 Mpx sensor outresolves the 30 Mpx 5DIV, which has very strong low-pass filters, but at the expense of some Moire.
That fits to the results of some German foto magazines, that the R6 II sensor performance outresolves a lot of higher MP competitors, Even the R3 BSI, and only the R5 is better.
I know from experience that the 5DIV's resolution suffers to get rid of any Moire
And from my experience with the 5D4 loss of detail I can second that as well.

Very interesting information.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Optyczne.pl, the mother site of lenstip, is one of my favourite sites as it does rigorous measurements on bodies and sensors, AF etc. The R6 II has scored very highly on AF accuracy, and its sensor resolution is good https://www.optyczne.pl/index.html?test=aparat&test_ap=485 It appears to have no low pass filter in the vertical direction and a weakened one in the horizontal. The result is that its 24 Mpx sensor outresolves the 30 Mpx 5DIV, which has very strong low-pass filters, but at the expense of some Moire. I know from experience that the 5DIV's resolution suffers to get rid of any Moire. The R5 also asymmetric low-pass filtering but in tens of thousands of my bird photos I have never seen any Moire in the feathers.
Very interesting - Q: do you know if the EOS R has the same LP filter set-up as the 5D IV, ie along with the same sensor?

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Thank you. As I plan for (possibly) updating from the EOS R, that make the options clearer. The R6 II at 24MP was already more appealing than the R6, but objective evidence that it also outresolves the 5D IV / EOS R makes it more appealing. I don't need FPS speed, but IBIS would be great.

I'm therefore also intrigued as to whether the rumoured R8 has the same (or a version of) the R6 II's 24MP sensor, in which case it'll get down to the list of features (including form factor and inclusion or otherwise of IBIS).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's annoying they don't as when they do test, they do it well. Do you know the reason why?

It seems like Canon has prevented them from making the tests. At least if we are to believe a comment on their website:

It's best to call Canon (I mean the headquarters in Japan, of course) and ask when they will release a can that would be suitable for testing their RF lenses in Poland. It seems to me that they need to explain the situation, describe the problem with testing lenses on the most serious Polish industry portal, and let them do something about it, maybe just build a special camera only for testing, because it can't be like now there must be such a backlog of tests.

Well, unless Canon wants to hide something, e.g. some specific defects of their lenses and that's why they haven't made a camera so far that would allow them to test their lenses - there may be something to it, such a theory makes sense in my opinion, they just don't want to spoil themselves interest and lose market share in Poland and Europe, which is why they are scheming and there are only cameras on the market that are not suitable for glass testing.

Something needs to be done about it, as they removed the most famous mailbox in the country, a living advertisement of Poczta Polska, we immediately acted at the source and the box returned to its place, continuing to serve the masses of photographers - now something needs to be done and as I say, it's best to attack Canon and either call or write an e-mail or several e-mails. If we all start writing to them, there is a chance that not everything will fall into spam, they will read and maybe change their policy towards cameras, and there will be at least one on the market where you can test the lenses.

Upvote 0
It may be because of $$$ reasons. Send them a rental and hope they send it back for them to test it?
They receive cameras from Canon Poland for tests, it's just their will not to test lenses. For biggest portal in the country it is not a problem to receive anything for tests, or even buy it if needed - or rent it if absolutely necesary.

Upvote 0
They receive cameras from Canon Poland for tests, it's just their will not to test lenses. For biggest portal in the country it is not a problem to receive anything for tests, or even buy it if needed - or rent it if absolutely necesary.
Time will tell if market forces will change their mind. ;-)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It looks from the optyczne measurements they are the same.
I'm less sure, now.
After having read Brian's TDP EOS R review again, I proceded today to a comparison between R and 5 D4. Brian always repeted that he didn't understand why the R , compared to the D IV, lacked some sharpness.
To resume what I did:
-Same heavy tripod on concrete
_My best lens (Apo Macro Elmarit), infinity setting
-Mirror up, timer shutter release
-High shutter speed
The 5 DIV was always visibly sharper (not a huge difference, but couldn't be overlooked when pixel peeping).
Filter? Protection glass?

Upvote 0