ordered refurbished from canon, now backordered. what to expect?

adventure

I'm New Here
Apr 23, 2013
Hi all. I was able to successfully order the 24 and the 70 RF zooms when they went on sale on the canon refurb site in December. The 24-70 we received and it looks and shoots like new. The 70 I never got a shipped email so after a month I've started to look into it. The orders never did show up in my Canon shopping account (maybe because they're refurbs?) but by calling and with the order number I can get an automated response saying that it's "backordered". I'm just curious if anyone here has been through this and had success eventually receiving the backordered refurbished item. I don't need it right away, and the savings was like $650. But if its a lost cause I'll cancel and go another route. Thank you.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I ordered a refurb 24-105 f/4 L with an RP as an accessory, and it went to backordered. Eventually the status did change to "processing" (that took a couple of months), but it never went from "processing" to "shipped" until I called Canon to ask what "processing" meant. It had somehow got "stuck" in their system.

I think you will get your item eventually, but you might have to call them if it stays in "processing" for more than a week.

cpagility

CR Pro
May 3, 2014
Southern California
On December 22, 2020 I ordered a refurb 28-70 when it was on sale and it’s been showing as backordered. I did call about a week ago and they just said it was backordered. I did get an alert today that there was one available so I checked my account online and it still said backordered :-(

adventure

I'm New Here
Apr 23, 2013
How did you get the alert? Actually, I just looked and the 70 is showing "in stock" now, although of course at a higher price than I ordered at. I called and did the phone "status update" again and it still says on backorder. Go figure.

Last edited:

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
Canon has had issues with the refurb store taking backorders for refurbished products. They ignore those items, it was created in error and their store has no process to ever fill them. You can call Canon and confirm that, I did after months of waiting for a back ordered EF-RF refurb adapter.