OVF&EVF Vs BackScreen - which better for you?

Nov 17, 2011
Just want to see what methods do you prefer when framing your photos. Do you prefer to frame your photos through OVF/EVF or back screen. Why?

I came from P&S, therefore, framing the shots through back screen is better for me. I recently look through my photos. Most of mirrorless photos seem to have better framing than my 5d and 1Dx.

Am I the odd one here ;D

Dylan777 said:
Just want to see what methods do you prefer when framing your photos. Do you prefer to frame your photos through OVF/EVF or back screen. Why?

I came from P&S, therefore, framing the shots through back screen is better for me. I recently look through my photos. Most of mirrorless photos seem to have better framing than my 5d and 1Dx.

Am I the odd one here ;D

No real back screen use for me. I'm near sighted but with glasses the screen is hard to really use for something critical. EVF has too much lag for me as well. Even with previews disabled you can't really use them well for sports. Seems like a simple fix but no one has done it yet.

So for me and what I shoot, OVF is the only way to go right now.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I prefer EVF/OVF because that is the way I was brought up.

However I have to acknowledge the fact that composing via the LCD can offer better framing because I am much more aware of the edges.
That being said, I cannot stand using the LCD as it is almost always invisible in bright light and holding a heavy camera in front of ones face is very uncomfortable.

Also, I think it makes me look like a sissy. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The LCD is of limited use, since I can't view it outdoors in bright sun, and its difficult ergonomically to hold a camera out in front of you and keep it motionless, particularly with a big and heavy lens,

I have only one camera with a EVF, the Canon SX50HS. Its awful.

So, for me, the best is still a OVF, but if EVF technology keeps improving, in 10 years it may be good enough to totally replace OVF's

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Normalnorm said:
I prefer EVF/OVF because that is the way I was brought up.

However I have to acknowledge the fact that composing via the LCD can offer better framing because I am much more aware of the edges.
That being said, I cannot stand using the LCD as it is almost always invisible in bright light and holding a heavy camera in front of ones face is very uncomfortable.

Also, I think it makes me look like a sissy. ;)

Yes....the edges. With ovf/evf my framing seems to be off both in x y lines. Almost have straighten every photos lr.

Back screen seems to help me in this area. It does look sissy ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The LCD is of limited use, since I can't view it outdoors in bright sun, and its difficult ergonomically to hold a camera out in front of you and keep it motionless, particularly with a big and heavy lens,

So, for me, the best is still a OVF, but if EVF technology keeps improving, in 10 years it may be good enough to totally replace OVF's

Both Sony a7 and Fuji evf getting better. Still...can't compare to ovf.

I started shooting a lot with back screen , except outdoor.

Upvote 0
Funny. I shoot 100% landscapes and EVF is of zero use for me. It's either the OVF for saving battery power or LCD for everything else.

I am curious why you guys are having issues with LCD brightness in Sunlight. I've never had that issue, but then again, I know better than to shoot any landscapes with the Sun to my back. Front lighting is awful. :)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Dylan777 said:

Depends on the situation. I find easier to aim quickly and follow the subject with the OVF (probably because always used one), especially with large, heavy lenses, also I believe keeping the arms close to the body enables a stabler and less tiring position. Moreover, having shooting data outside the image is less distracting. An OVF is still better than an EVF when you have to patiently wait for your subject to appear (it drains very little or no power) and it has no "refresh" problems. And EVF can be helpful in low light situations, but the technology needs still to improve.

When the camera is on a tripod and have time to shoot I use the back screen as well. I do activate the grid lines in the viewfinder to help with framing and composition.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:

Both Sony a7 and Fuji evf getting better. Still...can't compare to ovf.

I started shooting a lot with back screen , except outdoor.

I think the opposite. starting with a rebel xt ~10 years ago then progressing through various SLRs since up to my current 5dIII I can say I much prefer an EVF. I had the a7R the day it came out and the same for the a7RII. I will on occasion for no other reason pick up and shoot my sony a7RII rather than my 5dIII because it has an EVF. Then for my next subject I will grab my 5DIII because the ovf is the better choice.

There are pros and cons to each technology/method and I think we are at a point where we can no longer say strictly that one is better then the other (such as you could have several years ago: massive lag, low FPS, resolution, etc, etc). I think it now depends on what and how you like to shoot.

As for the LCD I only use it for landscape or a tilt LCD for high/low angles.

Upvote 0
After getting a 5D I would say: A good OVF rules. MF is easy on the large matte screen, composition and framing to. After 2000 shots I have a good idea of what are 98%. I use crop very seldom -- typically taking photographs of more or less static objects.

My dream camera in terms of view finder: OVF/EVF switchable to have exp. simulation and a video viewfinder well visible under bright light conditions + a tiltable and bright display.

My history: I used OVF on Canon EF (camera!) and the "display" of the twin-lensed RolleiCord so I have been educated with both ways to look through a camera. I liked a lot about the distance to the flattened image on the matte screen of the RolleiCord which was similar to a small print of a photo ...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
An OVF (or EVF, I don't discuss the differences between them here) is my 95 to 100% solution, because it has three main advantages:
- no reflections, no bad contrast due to external light sources or bright sun light
- better concentration on framing and composition
- better, more steady shooting position. Less shaky compared to lose hand holding, esp. with bigger/heavier lenses.

I still haven't seen a back screen yet that can be used in bright white snow on a sunny winter day.
That's my bench mark. Until then no camera without any kind of view finder.

The 0 to 5% rest are because of shooting positions where I am not able to use the VF.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I compose with OVF or EVF if I use my Sony.

I will use the back screen with magnification to check critical sharpness, esp when I am focus stacking.
This can be difficult in bright light so I will toss a check over my head and the camera. Should bring a black cloth like the old photographers who used glass plates did.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
RGF said:
I compose with OVF or EVF if I use my Sony.

I will use the back screen with magnification to check critical sharpness, esp when I am focus stacking.
This can be difficult in bright light so I will toss a check over my head and the camera. Should bring a black cloth like the old photographers who used glass plates did.

How a7r II + Canon lenses working out for you?

Upvote 0
I think that if you are asking shooters that haven't had a whole lot of experience with current mirrorless offerings, you will generally get people saying they hardly ever use the LCD for this. But if you ask people on the Fuji or Sony forums, I think you'll get much different answers.

I personally believe it depends on your subject, style of shooting, and scenario. I never used it with any of DSLRs as it is sluggish and basically useless for anything other than very static and controlled environment type work.

For my shooting (mostly my kids, family, friends, etc), the rear tilting LCD is priceless and gets used for at least 50% if not more of my shooting these days. The responsiveness and utility of being able to shoot from lower angles and tilting the screen is awesome on the Fuji xt1 and the A7R2 I picked up recently.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
JohnDizzo15 said:
I think that if you are asking shooters that haven't had a whole lot of experience with current mirrorless offerings, you will generally get people saying they hardly ever use the LCD for this. But if you ask people on the Fuji or Sony forums, I think you'll get much different answers.

I personally believe it depends on your subject, style of shooting, and scenario. I never used it with any of DSLRs as it is sluggish and basically useless for anything other than very static and controlled environment type work.

For my shooting (mostly my kids, family, friends, etc), the rear tilting LCD is priceless and gets used for at least 50% if not more of my shooting these days. The responsiveness and utility of being able to shoot from lower angles and tilting the screen is awesome on the Fuji xt1 and the A7R2 I picked up recently.

Good to hear from you again John.

Have you try the Batis lenses yet? Be careful ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
As a long time SLR user, I find the back screen totally useless for taking pics. Can not possibly hold the camera steady or straight without holding it up to my eye.

Have used an Olympus OM-D for last couple years along with my Canons. The Olympus EVF is pretty good, but still can't compare with an OVF. Tried the Sony A7 and A7 II and the EVF was one of the main reasons I returned them. So, still prefer the OVF.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
Good to hear from you again John.

Have you try the Batis lenses yet? Be careful ;)
:D

Had to take a break for a while because things got rather uninteresting around these parts. Finally saw a decent topic today in the right pane :)

Haven't tried the Batis lenses yet. Started with metabones IV and the native 28/2. Sold my Pentax K5IIs rig and the 6D today which subsequently prompted an overnight shipping order for the FE 35/1.4 which will be here tomorrow.

Probably going to stay away from the Batis lenses unless they put out faster stuff. I'm inclined to not pay those prices for slower lenses regardless of how good the optics are. You know me, whore for speed. lol.

Upvote 0