Panasonic Lumix 7 vs. Canon S110

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpful

Ecclesiastes 3:11
Mar 6, 2012
I don't have the current S110, but the previous one.

I bought the LX7 that you are considering. It is slightly bigger than the Canon, but in my opinion it has much better features. Select the regular focusing mode and the focusing is EXTREMELY fast. Select the macro mode, and of course, it is slower, but very snappy for a macro mode.

The f/1.4 lens is great in that it does its work without being noticed. But as soon as I try to go back to my Canon, that's when I realize that the f/1.4 has been keeping my image quality superb by using lower ISO speeds.

The LX7 outclasses the S110 by far. The S110 has basically stagnated with the same features all the way back to the S90.

The lens of the LX7 is much more substantial, and you will definitely want to use the cap-keeper to attach the lens cap to the strap eyelet since the lens cover is not an auto-retracting style, but an actual SLR-style lens cap.

Another thing is that the camera strap isn't a hand strap like the S110. It's an actual neck strap.

It's kind of awkward putting the camera into a belt pouch with an entire neck strap attached to it.

I might just swap out my old Canon hand strap and use it with the LX7.

There are some deals for the LX7 at $350 or lower. If you can find one of those, I would have no hesitations in recommending the LX7 as a much better buy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The lens on the LX7 is better, although the S110 does have a slightly larger sensor (meaning slightly less ISO noise). But if IQ is most important, the hands-on recommendation above is a good one.

For me, the S100 is a better choice because its smaller (truly pocketable) size means I will bring it along in the first place c

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
If you're considering something as bulky as the LX7, there are a few m43 cameras around for similar money. Similar thing really, compact but not really pocketable. However if you really want sharp and clear results, the lens will make or break the end results. Choose the right one and it'll be in a different league to any compact camera.

For myself, I wanted a high quality pocketable camera, and ended up buying an S90 for the times I didn't want to carry around an SLR. It's a great compact camera, but since getting an iPhone 5 (which like any good compact produces competent images without challenging any SLR, but it is truly pocketable, always charged and always on me) I've found I only ever want to use the S90 if I want to control the shutter speed but don't want to lug around the SLR - which isn't often.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.