Partial eclipse in June

Sep 1, 2014
For those of you who don‘t already know, there will be a (partial) solar eclipse at sunrise on the 10th of June

In my area i‘ll be lucky if i get a partial eclipse but nonetheless i would like to go out and try and photograph it but...do i need a special sun filter for my lens or would an ND be enough? I don‘t plan on zooming all the way in on the sun and just take a wider landscape shot. My main fear is damaging the sensor on my brand new fuji x-s10 (i‘ve moved on from canon M some time ago, but this is still the biggest forum i know)

I’ve seen an older thread with a total eclipse shot and it was done with a 10 stop ND...

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who don‘t already know, there will be a (partial) solar eclipse at sunrise on the 10th of June

In my area i‘ll be lucky if i get a partial eclipse but nonetheless i would like to go out and try and photograph it but...do i need a special sun filter for my lens or would an ND be enough? I don‘t plan on zooming all the way in on the sun and just take a wider landscape shot. My main fear is damaging the sensor on my brand new fuji x-s10 (i‘ve moved on from canon M some time ago, but this is still the biggest forum i know)

I’ve seen an older thread with a total eclipse shot and it was done with a 10 stop ND...

Here's some info on the matter. Didn't know about this. Probably I'll give it a shot as well (pun intended)

E: And the link :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I did something really, really primitive many years ago for the Venus tranist (next one due in 2117 if I recall correctly, so if you snoozed, you loozed). I simply found one of those cheapass "eclipse viewer" cardboard things with the almost-opaque plastic strip in it and taped it over the lens, making sure the only way light could get past it was through the plastic.

Something like this is an absolute must for partial and annular eclipses, as you know (I write this sentence for the benefit of others). I would not rely on ANYTHING that goes behind the lens as it will be subjected to a LOT of heat and could crack and/or melt.

Upvote 0