Patent: Canon RF 20mm f/1.8L and RF 24mm f/1.8L

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a patent for more fast prime optical formulas. This patent deals with reducing weight and size for such lenses.
Canon News notes that the back focus is quite short, which would require the lens to enter the camera mount about 8mm. So these optical formulas aren’t likely going to become a consumer product. However, we do see patents for optical formulas that are merely trying to solve problems, and in the case of this one… size and weight.
Canon 20mm f/1.8

Focal length 20.60mm
F-number 1.85
Half angle of view (degrees) 46.40°
Image height 21.64mm
Lens total length 88.73mm
BF 11.72mm

Canon 24mm f/1.8

Focal length 23.28mm
F-number 1.85
Half angle of view (degrees) 42.90°
Image height 21.64mm
Lens total length 93.32mm
BF 12.72mm

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Nice to see Canon actively working on fast wide-angle prime lenses.
Since Sony and Sigma have great 20mm F1.4, I believe should go the same way. I'd be in a market for such a lense, although I'm actually waiting on fast wide angle for nightsky/ nightscapes
Same. If this 20 F1.8 is as good as Nikon's new 20 F1.8 it will be perfect for astro.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Finally! I would get both of these lenses the very day they hit the shelves if I didn't expect them to be $1299-$1599 apiece. Canon has a personal vendetta with my savings account, I'm pretty sure.
Why would you feel the need for both, do you really see that much difference?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
Since Sony and Sigma have great 20mm F1.4, I believe Canon should go the same way.
I hope not! They need affordable but great performing non-L series f1.8 primes for RF that are light and smallish. The f1.2 and f1.4 L-series primes can come later.

The Sigma EF glass is awesome with the Canon ND adapter however.

Upvote 0
Why would you feel the need for both, do you really see that much difference?
Typically, yes.

For me 24mm is normally as wide as I go with video that focuses on people or animals. After that I find that I spend, what I consider, too much time correcting distortion or trying to avoid the edge of the frame.

I also like using a fast 24mm for events and street photography because I feel like I can get the scene but also get some environmental portraits without switching to a 35, just keeps me moving more and changing lenses less. Ideally I would want a 24mm 1.2 or 1.4, but 1.8 works.

As for where the 20mm fits in, I primarily use it for landscape photography and in the city. I love the slight warping you get that can make a city seem towering and put a little more character into the straight lines of a rigid cityscape. It can also really make graffiti pop if you use it to frame your subject. For me 24mm just isn't quite wide enough in a lot of cases but I don't like the 16mm look as much. As for video I rarely use the 20mm, though I have used it in the past for filming skateboarding and a few shots in Denali National Park.

Obviously the lenses are still just a twinkle in the engineer's eye at this point and the characteristics could differ from my expectations but I have access to a Sony A7III and can't say enough good things about their 20mm 1.8 and 24mm 1.4 GM.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
Please Canon, an astrophotography capable RF lens to compete with the Sigma 14mm f/1.8. This lens isn't quite wide enough for optimal nightscape shooting IMHO. I have the money sitting in my bank account ready to be spent if they cover that market segment with an RF mount lens. I would hope for an L lens to give the best corner performance possible to get decent shaped stars.

Upvote 0
Please Canon, an astrophotography capable RF lens to compete with the Sigma 14mm f/1.8.
I’m hoping for a RF 12mm Prime for Astro and I figure it has good chances since the RF versions of the wide angle zooms have become/ will be wider (RF 15—35mm/ 10-24mm/ 14-35mm) and 14mm Prime wouldn´t attract many customers...

just don’t know about F number... F2 would be great, but probably to heavy/expensive, but maybe a F2.8 is possible

Upvote 0