Patent: Canon RF 85mm f/1.4L USM (IS?)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered an optical formula patent for a Canon RF 85mm f/1.4L USM. Canon has already released two 85mm lenses in the form of the terrific RF 85mm f/1.2L USM and the affordable RF 85mm f/2 IS STM.
I think there is only a market for an RF 85mm f/1.4L USM lens if it comes with lens image stabilization. For the moment, I can’t see this being an imminent release, as other areas of the RF lineup still need to be addressed, but I’d say it’s possible such a lens could come our way in the distant future.
Japan Patent 2021-081531
Canon RF 85mm f/1.4 embodiment 1

Focal length 82.64mm
F number 1.45
Half angle of view 14.67°
Image height 21.64mm
Lens overall length 113.70mm
BF 18.16mm

Canon RF 85mm f/1.4 embodiment 2

Focal length 82.86mm
F Number 1.45
Half angle of view 14.63°
Image...

Continue reading...

RF 85mm F1.4L IS? Yeeees please :)
I read so many great things about the EF version that I'm about to pick up a used copy. I thought I'd get the RF 85mm F2 and figured I'd love it since in my opinion the RF 35mm F1.8 is great, but someone I didn't like it as much so I decided not to get it. So an RF 85mm F1.4 would be very tempting, although I can't see that one being released before 2023 (or maybe even later)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If IBIS is going to be a standard feature on R bodies moving forwards it's hard to see why this would need IS - it would add to weight and cost without offering that much benefit as not many people will be taking long exposure portraits.
What????

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I'm dying to spend money on a 1.4 -- something under 1kg and sharper than the F2 would be perfect!
FWIW, the EF 1.4 is not that much sharper than the F/2. If sharper at all..

Used to have the EF 1.4, and when I got the RF f/2 I did a comparison: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4527565

In terms of bokeh the EF is more pleasing.

I did eventually sold off the EF 1.4 (in particular because I already have the RF 50 1.2) but would consider looking at an RF 1.4 if it would come to life. I bet it would be a step up in IQ over the EF version, while keeping the nice rendering capabilities.

Upvote 0

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020
This would be a definite buy for me if it lands at a similar price to the EF version.

Disagree with this: "I think there is only a market for an RF 85mm f/1.4L USM lens if it comes with lens image stabilization"

Majority of the market for this lens in the years to come with have bodies with IBIS. I understand that 85mm is a focal length where IBIS is still reasonably effective and like others have said 2 or 3 stops, which is a very conservative estimate, would do just fine for photos of living/moving subjects.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I would love to see some other focal lengths getting priority before hitting a lens that is covered by 3 primes and 2-5 zooms. It feels like on mirrorless you have more options than necessary for 12mm to 100mm and then it just dries up.
Yes, the much-promised RF 70-135 L f:2.0 comes to mind. While most probably more expensive than the down payment on a decent car, this lens would replace both an 85mm L prime and an 135mm L prime, with the added benefit of all the focal distances in-between and expanding down to 70mm. For portrait this is the holy grail, you can't be constantly moving back and forth nor is it practical to change lenses when the subject is at that "just right" point in time. Such a lens would be the motivation to move to an IBIS body (so far all my RF glass has IS so there has been no hurry).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

drhuffman87

Eos R, RF24-105 F4L, RF85 F2, EF200 F2.8L II
Nov 5, 2020
www.drhuffmanphoto.com
I'm dying to spend money on a 1.4 -- something under 1kg and sharper than the F2 would be perfect!
I agree the 1.4 will be an appealing option due to the USM motor, increased aperture size, and weather sealing. However, your definition of sharpness seems to be absurd, as I regularly use my F2 to cut aircraft carriers in half.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

BadHorse

Thoroughbred of Sin
Mar 31, 2019
I agree the 1.4 will be an appealing option due to the USM motor, increased aperture size, and weather sealing. However, your definition of sharpness seems to be absurd, as I regularly use my F2 to cut aircraft carriers in half.
Ha! I guess I should say "compared to my RF 70-200mm 2.8" -- the F2 isn't a clear enough upgrade. The 1.2 is definitely sharper but...

Upvote 0