Patent: Canon RF 85mm f/1.8 Macro, Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 & Canon EF-M 100mm f/2

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A new patent showing three different mirrorless optical formulas have been uncovered by Canon News.
Canon RF 85mm f/1.8 Macro

Focal length: 84.05mm
F-Number: 1.86
Half-angle: 14.44°
Image height: 21.64mm
Full length: 100.02mm
BF: 14.64mm

Canon RF 100mm f/2.8

Focal Length: 101.03mm
F-Number: 2.88
Half-angle: 12.09°
Image height: 21.64mm
Full length: 130.45mm
BF: 18.70mm

Canon EF-M 100mm f/2

Focal length: 96.24mm
F Number: 2.06
Half-angle: 8.08°
Image height: 13.66mm
Full length: 115.28mm
BF: 14.96mm

Continue reading...

Last edited:

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Confusing (slightly), yesterday there was a rumor of an RF 85mm f:2.0 IS STM, and here we see RF 85mm f:1.8 IS (USM?). Obviously 1.8 preferred to 2.0 if size / weight / price are not disproportionate.

I thought I would mind the difference as well, but then I realized I'm using my EF85mm f/1.8 mostly at f/2.5 to get better IQ. So if f/2 will be better than f2.5 on the EF I'm OK with that. It's only for taking pictures of my family, so I can't make up a decent excuse to get the f/1.2 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I thought I would mind the difference as well, but then I realized I'm using my EF85mm f/1.8 mostly at f/2.5 to get better IQ. So if f/2 will be better than f2.5 on the EF I'm OK with that. It's only for taking pictures of my family, so I can't make up a decent excuse to get the f/1.2 :)
Actually the 85mm 1.8 patent does not mention IS, would the line-up have both a 1.8 non-IS and a 2.0 IS?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This does look like RF versions of existing EF lenses. I'm not familiar with the whole EF lineup, but I own two of those lenses (and know of the third) in EF.

If these are actually brought out it's a strong signal that they expect the future to be in RF and that they expect EF will eventually die on the vine as more people leave it.

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
Confusing (slightly), yesterday there was a rumor of an RF 85mm f:2.0 IS STM, and here we see RF 85mm f:1.8 IS (USM?). Obviously 1.8 preferred to 2.0 if size / weight / price are not disproportionate.
Yesterday was a rumor (CR1), probability of being a real product we'll eventually see...idk 25% maybe?

Today we have a patent, probability of being a real product we'll eventually see....50/50 maybe?

Neither one of these reports is anything to bank on. But the reassuring thing about them is that the higher quantity and frequency of the various bits of information circulating means we will eventually see some from of this product.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
85/1.8 or 85/2.0...
Whatever Canon decides to release, bring it on. I want to see the lens that could draw me into R systzem the most (..or not).
Would prefer an 85/1.8, of course.
The displayed optical formula seems to be about 1.5 cm shorter than the old EF design. The mechanical lens could be longer because of flange distance, of course. But this together with an RP or R6 body... *yummy

By the way:
Quick dive but couldn't find the optical formula of the old EF 85/1.8. Does anybody have a link? Thanks

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This already seemed absolutely obvious to me.

Myself as well, really. You've mentioned battery power and long term use of the viewfinder. That's not quite the only disadvantage, but it's the only one I can't see any way around and that isn't subjective. The other SLR benefits (so far) is less lag in the viewfinder, less "blank" time after taking a picture, and so on--I'm sure I'm missing a few. But those are all things that are improving, they aren't inherent to mirrorless, just aspects of something still in its early development. What's left? There are those who simply hate using an EVF. (Whether they are justified or not, the hate is there.)

I'm all-in on mirrorless, personally, though I won't spurn EF lenses. They will continue to serve one very useful role for the foreseeable future--they can be used on ALL Canon mirrorless cameras-- M and RF. How long that will impel Canon to continue to make them (not develop, but make) is another question entirely.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I want to see the lenses, not just the one which make me change...
I want to see lenses that I would use, not only what is possible.
An f/2.0-zoom is a brilliant piece of engineering, but not in reach for my budget.
Right now I see only 2 RF lenses that I would be willing to buy, if I had the will to get there: the 35 and the 24-105. Maybe the 70-200, too.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I'm a very big supporter of the EOS-M cameras and lenses, but I really don't understand the need for a 160mm equivalent lens in the lineup. That's a really odd focal length that's a little too long for traditional portraits and a little too short to be of much use for wild life or sports...so it's just strange.

It would be nice to see Canon tackle the more pressing needs like a fast ultra-wide or a super-telephoto lens. We've all been asking for a 15mm f/2 small prime or something longer and faster than 200mm f/6.3. Would it be too much of a challenge to get a native 300mm f/5.6 or 400mm f/5.6 lens? I take my M6 Mark II out with me almost every day when I walk my dog by the lake and love it for bird photography. The 55-200 is not a good lens for this, sadly. So I will typically use the 55-250 or 70-300.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Myself as well, really. You've mentioned battery power and long term use of the viewfinder. That's not quite the only disadvantage, but it's the only one I can't see any way around and that isn't subjective. The other SLR benefits (so far) is less lag in the viewfinder, less "blank" time after taking a picture, and so on--I'm sure I'm missing a few. But those are all things that are improving, they aren't inherent to mirrorless, just aspects of something still in its early development. What's left? There are those who simply hate using an EVF. (Whether they are justified or not, the hate is there.)

I'm all-in on mirrorless, personally, though I won't spurn EF lenses. They will continue to serve one very useful role for the foreseeable future--they can be used on ALL Canon mirrorless cameras-- M and RF. How long that will impel Canon to continue to make them (not develop, but make) is another question entirely.
Another issue with mirrorless is ”instant on” to be ready to shoot. If an SLR has gone to sleep mode, it will wake and be ready to shoot almost instantly. The mirrorless take a lot of time for the EVF to wake.

Upvote 0