Patent: Canon RF mount modular CINE camera appears in drawings

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
An RF mount cinema camera of some kind is likely an inevitable evolution in Canon’s ecosystem when such a camera will appear is unknown at this time. I imagine the lens lineup needs to be a bit bigger before we see this sort of camera come to market.
Canon News has uncovered a patent that shows such a camera in great detail. The patent itself is related to reducing the size of the forced air cooling smaller and more efficient, therefore reducing the size of the camera.
As you’ll see below, the technical drawings for this camera are quite detailed. It shows a very modular camera design, it looks to be about the size of the XC series of cameras. We believe the Cinema EOS lineup will be moving to more modular designs as we’ve seen in the recent EOS C500 Mark II.

jpa-501161567_i_000005-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Jul 19, 2011
People keep forgetting the EF->RF mount adapters and more so the beauty of the built-in vari-ND filter in one of those adapters. More lens line-up than Canon's? You are trolling us, are you? EF lenses perform on RF bodies with adapter at least as good as on native EF bodies - some even better than that.

The importance of ND filters for video can't be emphasized enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
People keep forgetting the EF->RF mount adapters and more so the beauty of the built-in vari-ND filter in one of those adapters. More lens line-up than Canon's? You are trolling us, are you? EF lenses perform on RF bodies with adapter at least as good as on native EF bodies - some even better than that.

cine cameras have built in nd filters already

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It looks like a medium format camera, dual memory card slots etc. Maybe Canon is finaly moving toward the medium format?
Nah. That would require Canon to develop yet another entirely new line of glass in short order. Not happening.

Upvote 0
It looks like a medium format camera, dual memory card slots etc. Maybe Canon is finaly moving toward the medium format?
I know what you mean - it has a very MF style-look to it - and would be very interesting.

However, as PureClassA says, there would need to be a new lens design to cover the MF sensor, and RF isn't going to do that. (Not quite sure what the image circle of a non-tilted/shifted TS lens is though...)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I know what you mean - it has a very MF style-look to it - and would be very interesting.

However, as PureClassA says, there would need to be a new lens design to cover the MF sensor, and RF isn't going to do that. (Not quite sure what the image circle of a non-tilted/shifted TS lens is though...)

I think we would see Canon develop a MF stills camera plus a healthy family of glass well before they ever went to a dedicated MF Cine line. That said, Canon has never seemed interested (at least up this point) in delving into the MF world at all.

Upvote 0
I think we would see Canon develop a MF stills camera plus a healthy family of glass well before they ever went to a dedicated MF Cine line.
Yes - agreed.
Just for clarification, I was't intending to refer to an MF cine camera - I was thinking along the lines of an MF stills camera - I could perhaps have been clearer. :)
Cheers

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

These great cameras are why the people who complain about Canon not making their still cameras into video cameras are really clowns who are clueless how to use real video cameras. If you want video then get a real video that runs rings around still cameras trying to be video as well. If you do you tube you are doing video so learn what a real video camera is and how to use it.
Still cameras with a bit of video are fine but to do REAL video they will never be REAL video cameras. Just still cameras with basic video capability.
Thank you Canon for understanding the consumers as 99% have no clue about real video and those that do get the Canon real video cameras and do real productions, not home movies or downright boring you tube videos of them being narcissists.

• Angry
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
These great cameras are why the people who complain about Canon not making their still cameras into video cameras are really clowns who are clueless how to use real video cameras. If you want video then get a real video that runs rings around still cameras trying to be video as well. If you do you tube you are doing video so learn what a real video camera is and how to use it.
Still cameras with a bit of video are fine but to do REAL video they will never be REAL video cameras. Just still cameras with basic video capability.
Thank you Canon for understanding the consumers as 99% have no clue about real video and those that do get the Canon real video cameras and do real productions, not home movies or downright boring you tube videos of them being narcissists.

Pretty much. The little YouTube and photo forum amature crybullies that cry like little b... er... sissies didn't understand that Canon was protecting their product line and therefore their profit margin. Something they have historically been very good at. Even in the face of the global pressures they are all feeling. Let 'em cry. If you want pro video buy pro video.

• Angry
Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Given the the 2 XLR ports on the back, the CinemaEos style (side mounted) dials and buttons, the handle, cheese plate and the CinemaEos/Arri rosette. I think this is very safely what it purports to be - a video camera. I think it's interesting that they are using the LP-E6 battery. That might not bode well for this thing having a premium feature set.

Upvote 0
Guys, look at the size of the SD card slot, and LP battery sliding into the side of it, compared to the overall dimensions. This is smaller than my old film medium format cameras.

Also, if you look at all of the drawings on the Japanese patent website, the body detailed to illustrate their air cooling pathways appears to have a FIXED lens, not interchangeable. :-(

For example in the attached you can see the ribbon possibly from a sensor attached near the back of the lens, or more likely the ribbon is actually to drive the lens.
But there is no apparent lens mount and no lens release button on the front of the body, in any of the drawings. :-(

Attachments

• Lens.jpg
    Lens.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0