Patent: Improving Computational Photography With DPRAW

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/want-to-increase-the-dynamic-range-of-your-eos-5d-mark-iv-raw-files/">posted yesterday about a utility</a> that looks to improve the dynamic range in the EOS 5D Mark IV, but using the two DPRAW exposures to blend a single exposure. One of the issues that arises when doing this is getting parallax errors.</p>
<p><a href="https://www.canonnews.com/canon-looking-to-improve-computational-photography-with-dpraw">Canon News has uncovered</a> a very detailed patent that shows Canon is thinking along the same lines.</p>
<blockquote><p>It seems that Canon has the same ideas, as they are investigating correcting the parallax error in post processing.</p>
<p>This would only be necessary if they are looking to improve the dynamic range response or combining two halves of the image computationally.  This by nature of how the halves of the pixels are summed together happens naturally for normal images, but does not for dual pixel RAW file formats, where Canon outputs the one half of the pixel, and the full pixel output.  Different things can be done to the image such as adjust the bokeh and AF fine point adjustment and now it looks like Canon is trying to do other things with the data.</p></blockquote>
<p>The patent is quite detailed and goes a bit above our pay grade.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
The patent is quite detailed and goes a bit above our pay grade.</p><span id="pty_trigger"></span>[/q]

As noted in the patent

"[UU13J Further features and aspects of the present invention will become apparent from the following description of exemplary embodiment's with reference to the attached drawings."

That reminds me of the common comments made in my Engineering classes many years ago. They went something like "It will be self evident to the reader"

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Canon Rumors said:
The patent is quite detailed and goes a bit above our pay grade.</p><span id="pty_trigger"></span>[/q]

As noted in the patent

"[UU13J Further features and aspects of the present invention will become apparent from the following description of exemplary embodiment's with reference to the attached drawings."

That reminds me of the common comments made in my Engineering classes many years ago. They went something like "It will be self evident to the reader"

This notorious quote: "Il est facile de voir que..." ("It is therefore obvious that...") is attributed to Laplace.
Anyway, I have noticed that there is a Quad-Pixel architecture in the patent.

Upvote 0